Potential Exelon Mystic Station Redevelopment | Everett

Still holding out hope they keep a smoke stack
Since this is right by Encore, I think we need to take our chips and walk away from the table. This stadium proposal that is taking a yuuuuuuuuge step forward. We’re talking biblical. There’s no time for smoke stack talk. Though I probably do agree with you.

Count me among those who are not terribly enamored with this project. It's an ugly stadium for a minor league team, replacing what's essentially the last vestige of Boston's industrial past. That 500' smokestack has stood out to me as a landmark for decades, really as long as I can remember. Considering we may never see another project eclipse 500' in the city for the rest of our lives, losing one of the 24 stings.

Count me among those who are not terribly enamored with this project. It's an ugly stadium for a minor league team, replacing what's essentially the last vestige of Boston's industrial past. That 500' smokestack has stood out to me as a landmark for decades, really as long as I can remember. Considering we may never see another project eclipse 500' in the city for the rest of our lives, losing one of the 24 stings.

Please clarify this.. are you against this project because because of the stadium designs (which are place holders btw.) or are you against this project because we might lose some "tall" smoke stacks in a decommissioned power plant? Please tell me it's not the latter kind sir.

Please clarify this.. are you against this project because because of the stadium designs (which are place holders btw.) or are you against this project because we might lose some "tall" smoke stacks in a decommissioned power plant? Please tell me it's not the latter kind sir.

It's a minor league stadium that I don't care about vs a smokestack that I have nostalgic feelings towards. The stadium is ALSO ugly on top of this. Add in more traffic in a place I do go (Charlestown/Assembly area) and less traffic in a place I don't go (Route 1 Foxborough) and I'm not a supporter.

I'm also not going to go to meetings or write letters to oppose this project. I'm just not going to actively support it, and I (not so) secretly hope it fails.

1721098040049.gif

Last edited:
It's a minor league stadium that I don't care about vs a smokestack that I have nostalgic feelings towards. The stadium is ALSO ugly on top of this. Add in more traffic in a place I do go (Charlestown/Assembly area) and less traffic in a place I don't go (Route 1 Foxborough) and I'm not a supporter.

I'm also not going to go to meetings or write letters to oppose this project. I'm just not going to actively support it, and I (not so) secretly hope it fails.
The increased traffic is a valid concern. But that can be mitigated with the proper addition of bus transit infrastructure and a pedestrian bridge across the Mystic to the Assembly OL station.
To me, the overriding justification for this project is social justice for the historically disadvantaged community of Everett. The City and its people have been working hard to redevelop vast tracts of industrial wasteland, promoting more housing development than any other city in the metro region. This is a progressive city which has made its own way to a bright future, an incredibly pro-development city government and people. They deserve this stadium, they are open to it, and they will benefit greatly from it.

Still, one would hope that some remnants of the industrial character of the area could be preserved. Unless people speak up and make it known what's important to them, development will take the easiest way, which often results in structures which have no connection to the historical place they are covering over.

A towering smokestack creates "place" and stands as a landmark visible from a distance. In this case it might also help connect the future of the area to its past.

Still, one would hope that some remnants of the industrial character of the area could be preserved. Unless people speak up and make it known what's important to them, development will take the easiest way, which often results in structures which have no connection to the historical place they are covering over.

A towering smokestack creates "place" and stands as a landmark visible from a distance. In this case it might also help connect the future of the area to its past.
Nothing says, “Ooh, let’s hang out at that place” like a smokestack. 🙄

As a practitioner and student of urban planning with a foundation in sociology, my observation of human behavior is that we gravitate to destinations and places with function that foster walkable urbanism and are fully activated. Power plants are contaminated places that were NOT designed to uphold these principles, and until demonstrated otherwise there is probably little incentive financially, historically, environmentally, or economically to preserve them.

As an asthmatic Everett resident, I will cry tears of joy the day those smokestacks come down.

There’s me speaking up.

As a practitioner and student of urban planning with a foundation in sociology, my observation of human behavior is that we gravitate to destinations and places with function that foster walkable urbanism and are fully activated.

As a human being, my observation is that we lazily gravitate to places that are convenient to get to, affordable, and fun

(therefore I agree no smokestacks needed)

Taking into account the substatation along Alford is remaining, where on the property owned by Wynn could a stadium be located while keeping any of the existing structures? (Hint, they can't remain). Maybe the pro smokestackers should focus on a faux solution like the "lighthouse" at Gillette.

Last edited:
Even aside from the smoke stack discussion they should at a minimum try to reuse the two older buildings on site. The red one especially is very nice, buildings like that arent made anymore. Adaptive reuse should always be a top priority if were genuinely concerned with carbon footprints and wasting resources. Theres two perfectly good historic buildings on site, lets use them. On top of that a huge swath of everett was gas tanks/power plants/industrial buildings. When its redeveloped everything is going to be brand new. Entire neighborhoods built from scratch in one fell swoop tend to feel very sterile. The few historic buildings that do exist here they should try to reuse just to have a link to the areas past and the past in general. Plus it will give some diversity to the built environment which makes better neighborhoods. Ppl also love reused historic buildings it could be an anchor for retail/housing…etc by the stadium.

1721137257846.jpeg

Link

1721137643806.jpeg

Link

Even aside from the smoke stack discussion they should at a minimum try to reuse the two older buildings on site. The red one especially is very nice, buildings like that arent made anymore. Adaptive reuse should always be a top priority if were genuinely concerned with carbon footprints and wasting resources. Theres two perfectly good historic buildings on site, lets use them. On top of that a huge swath of everett was gas tanks/power plants/industrial buildings. When its redeveloped everything is going to be brand new. Entire neighborhoods built from scratch in one fell swoop tend to feel very sterile. The few historic buildings that do exist here they should try to reuse just to have a link to the areas past and the past in general. Plus it will give some diversity to the built environment which makes better neighborhoods. Ppl also love reused historic buildings it could be an anchor for retail/housing…etc by the stadium.

View attachment 52702
Link

View attachment 52703
Link
Again, you might be right. Time will tell. I’m saying (along with others) that the smokestacks shouldn’t be the focal point. That would be like if a paramedic sees someone in a car accident who needs the jaws of life to be rescued, but the medics start to notice that the person in danger is wearing a Nickleback shirt and how bad that band is.

My point is that it took a wing and a prayer to even get this far. Now, we’re worried about aesthetics even before the shovels are in the ground.

It’s that simple, fam. Logistics first (i.e., getting the shovel in the ground). Aesthetics second (smokestacks).

I have nothing against soccer in general, but...
1. This is a mediocre stadium proposal
2. For a mediocre team
3. In a mediocre league

While the Revolution have had an overall dismal history, if they did miraculously win the championship one year, would they even be considered a Top 100 team in the world? Is it even worth celebrating? When our other sports teams win, it means they are the best in the world, and that's the standard for the typical Boston sports fan.

Last year's MLS champion, the Columbus Crew, only had 20,000 people show up to their parade. The Celtics drew "well over a million" to theirs. The 2004 Red Sox parade drew 3.6 million.

To me, the overriding justification for this project is social justice for the historically disadvantaged community of Everett.

The term "social justice" has been used in bad faith as a one-sided bludgeon to enact all sorts of unpopular measures lately. It's not a fair argument to make because now you're claiming some sort of moral high ground against people who don't share your opinion, when a minor league soccer stadium is anything but a moral dilemma. The people of Everett "deserve" a soccer stadium? What about those who live there but don't want it? Are they still getting what they deserve?

If anything, maybe we should recommission the power plant, as the demand for energy is set to increase dramatically over the next decade. The insistence on moving to electric cars is one of the major culprits. If I have to choose between rolling blackouts with a soccer stadium or having enough energy to prevent rolling blackouts, I'll choose the energy.

Again, you might be right. Time will tell. I’m saying (along with others) that the smokestacks shouldn’t be the focal point. That would be like if a paramedic sees someone in a car accident who needs the jaws of life to be rescued, but the medics start to notice that the person in danger is wearing a Nickleback shirt and how bad that band is.

My point is that it took a wing and a prayer to even get this far. Now, we’re worried about aesthetics even before the shovels are in the ground.

It’s that simple, fam. Logistics first (i.e., getting the shovel in the ground). Aesthetics second (smokestacks).
I can only speak for myself, but my post wasnt about the smokestacks or aesthetics it was about adaptive reuse of the two existing buildings on site.

2. For a mediocre team
3. In a mediocre league
1- The stadium design has not been released yet
2- Form is temporary
3- The league has its issues but it's only growing.

And it doesn't really matter how good or bad the Revs are or MLS is.
The only question is 'will they attract 25k fans on a regular basis;
and the answer is 'yes'

The only question is 'will they attract 25k fans on a regular basis;
and the answer is 'yes'
Urban Cambridge/Boston has huge car-less European, Central and South American graduate student/post-docs/faculty/researchers population who love soccer but can't get to Gillette. Just look at the crowds outside Phoenix Landing in Central Sq. at 8am on a Saturday watching games on the screen they have set up on their sidewalk beer garden. I'm not going to pretend I know what exact crowds they'll pull at an Everett stadium, but I do know that the demand in Boston is unique...and that Foxborough doesn't serve it
(btw, this is not an original post...scroll upthread and it's discussed)

As mentioned earlier, any design posted is just a placeholder seemingly rushed for a press opportunity. Any discussion on what the stadium will look like and how/if it will incorporate the existing buildings is either ongoing or hasn't happened yet. Here are some images of MLS stadiums that are either recently completed or under construction in MIami, New York, and St.Louis.

1721149372981.png
1721149461011.png
1721149518279.png

2. For a mediocre team
3. In a mediocre league
Just because the Revs and MLS aren't the best in the world doesn't mean that they are too insignificant for a stadium. Comparing the Revs to other Boston teams that play sports that the rest of the world doesn't really care about is missing the point. The MLS is the fastest-growing league amongst young and diverse audiences in the United States. There's a reason why 6 of the top 25 most valuable soccer teams in the world are in the MLS (some of these teams have only been around for a few years). There is clearly enough demand for a 20,000-30,000 seat soccer stadium in the Boston area and it's a good bet that after the World Cup that soccer in the US (and the Revs with it) will continue to grow in popularity.

A soccer stadium here is a HUGE opportunity for the future of sports in Boston

Urban Cambridge/Boston has huge car-less European, Central and South American graduate student/post-docs/faculty/researchers population who love soccer but can't get to Gillette. Just look at the crowds outside Phoenix Landing in Central Sq. at 8am on a Saturday watching games on the screen they have set up on their sidewalk beer garden. I'm not going to pretend I know what exact crowds they'll pull at an Everett stadium, but I do know that the demand in Boston is unique...and that Foxborough doesn't serve it
(btw, this is not an original post...scroll upthread and it's discussed)
Also the surrounding communities of Everett, Revere, Lynn, East Boston are homes to large immigrant populations largely from Latin America, where soccer is the dominant professional sport.

2. For a mediocre team
3. In a mediocre league

While the Revolution have had an overall dismal history, if they did miraculously win the championship one year, would they even be considered a Top 100 team in the world? Is it even worth celebrating? When our other sports teams win, it means they are the best in the world, and that's the standard for the typical Boston sports fan.

Last year's MLS champion, the Columbus Crew, only had 20,000 people show up to their parade. The Celtics drew "well over a million" to theirs. The 2004 Red Sox parade drew 3.6 million.

The term "social justice" has been used in bad faith as a one-sided bludgeon to enact all sorts of unpopular measures lately. It's not a fair argument to make because now you're claiming some sort of moral high ground against people who don't share your opinion, when a minor league soccer stadium is anything but a moral dilemma. The people of Everett "deserve" a soccer stadium? What about those who live there but don't want it? Are they still getting what they deserve?

If anything, maybe we should recommission the power plant, as the demand for energy is set to increase dramatically over the next decade. The insistence on moving to electric cars is one of the major culprits. If I have to choose between rolling blackouts with a soccer stadium or having enough energy to prevent rolling blackouts, I'll choose the energy.

I have to ask: What is it about the height of an empty inanimate object that makes you so excited??????

Some of us love dynamic 24/7 cities full of HUMANOIDS and energy. Why don't we just admit the obvious - - your definition of a city is directly based upon building height (whether they are empty of humans or not).

You have directly stated you prefer an empty tall smokestack as opposed to a stadium for soccer and live concerts that would bring in 20,000+ people 50-100 times per year to a former waste property (which would be decontaminated as part of the development) which would activate a riverfront in Boston with hotels, boardwalks, restaurants, etc.

I find that batshit crazy, but hey I could be wrong too - - I certainly have been many times in my lifetime.

Here's a place with no "mediocre soccer teams" but the tallest empty edifice
Homer City, Pennsylvania
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/6802

1721149120029.png

Last edited:
Also the surrounding communities of Everett, Revere, Lynn, East Boston are homes to large immigrant populations largely from Latin America, where soccer is the dominant professional sport.

Yeah. That's why you have to think the Revs will draw much better being in Everett.

The options for development there isn't great. And this isn't a bad option.

Back