Proposed But Never Built

The EGE

Reaction score
The Alewife/West Cambridge thread prompted me to scan this and show it here, of the Alewife Red Line Station proposed in the late 1960s. The Red Line route would have followed the Fitchburg Division RR line and a new Route 2 Expressway. This plan got scrapped when the Route 2 and other proposed expressways were cancelled by Gov. Sargent in the early 70s. The proposed station would have included a shopping complex. The map view below is oriented south, with (what is now) Cambridgepark Drive horizontally bisecting the area, and Alewife Brook Parkway and Route 2 Expressway on the left;
Charlie, what publication was this from? I did a bunch of research on the history of Alewife station recently, but I never saw this wild design!

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
Charlie, what publication was this from? I did a bunch of research on the history of Alewife station recently, but I never saw this wild design!
Should have noted the source. It is from the Cambridge Chronicle. I'm not sure of the date, but i definitely clipped it myself and saved it from the Chronicle during early 1968. I joined the Navy in the Fall of 1968, and obtained this article shortly before that. I have some accompanying text that I can post on here.

themissinglink

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure one of these renders was posted in this thread before, but here's a few other renders plus an excerpt about the never built Hyatt Hotel at Fan Pier, which was proposed to be 50 stories and 618 feet tall.

Construction had been planned to start in 1987 and last until 1995.

hyatt1.PNG

hyatt2.PNG

Plen-T-Pak

Reaction score
Although I do like the courthouse, I'd prefer more Rowe's Wharf, which this plan reminds me of, than the Miami Beach/Dallas/Silver Spring/Atlanta/Greenville garbage that sits around it currently.

bigpicture7

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure one of these renders was posted in this thread before, but here's a few other renders plus an excerpt about the never built Hyatt Hotel at Fan Pier, which was proposed to be 50 stories and 618 feet tall.
^That style reminds me very specifically of this one.
We seem to have very few of this PoMo sub-genre in Boston.

kz1000ps

Reaction score
^ I usually think of it as "High Pomo" in the same way we have the term "High Gothic," as in it's postmodernism at its most ornate and postmodern-y. The more time goes by and the more we have stark glass boxes shoved down our throats the more I appreciate them. I've never cared for the arcade, but almost everything else about that Huntington Ave example is lively!