Providence developments

I love shipping container architecture! Way to go Providence. Is this temp or perm?

I'd definitely keep walking down Atwells Ave to see this. What's the surrounding neighborhood like? I've never ventured beyond the end of the Federal Hill commercial strip.

This is a permanent structure. It's in a strange location though.

Ron, Atwells is nice even after the commercialized stretch. It's a pretty decent urban neighborhood until you get to the Route 6/10 overpass. That's really a barrier separating Fed Hill from Olneyville. This project is located next to a busy intersection (Atwells at Harris) just on the other side of that overpass. It'll be easy to walk down and see, but there's very little around it (parking lots, a 7/11, and older industrial buildings).

A desire named streetcar: Providence seeks major transit overhaul

01:00 AM EST on Tuesday, December 8, 2009

By Bruce Landis

Journal Staff Writer

PROVIDENCE ? State and local officials have put together a plan that would remake the metro area?s transit system, increasing and improving bus service and adding a major and expensive new element, streetcars.

The draft proposal would improve and redeploy the existing bus system, moving parts of the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority?s central hub at Kennedy Plaza outward to four smaller ?hubs? encircling the downtown, and try to shift more commuters from cars to buses by doubling the number of park-and-ride commuter lots.

The authority also wants to increase bus service by 10 percent and to initiate what it calls ?rapid bus service,? measures aimed at letting buses move passengers more quickly, initially on two heavily used routes.

The proposal, written by planners at the authority, expands on many of the elements recommended by the Transit 2020 study group created in 2006 by Providence Mayor David N. Cicilline, a longtime and vigorous transit proponent.

It also reflects a newly ambitious RIPTA that is trying to shift gears and look ahead after years of being battered by budget deficits and threatened service cuts.

The study is called the Providence Metropolitan Transit Enhancement Study. The final version is to be issued Thursday. Some of the elements are under way now, while the earliest that officials think a streetcar system could start operating is 2015.

The proposal is focused on the city and six communities around it, East Providence, Pawtucket, Central Fall, North Providence and parts of Cranston and Warwick. However, one part of it would also double the existing 28 RIPTA park-and-ride lots. .

Mark Therrien, RIPTA?s deputy general manager for planning, said the study is the first serious look at building a streetcar system here. At an estimated cost of $76 million, it would be by far the biggest expense in the plan.

In all, the proposal includes $127.6 million in capital costs ?? long-term expenses like construction and rolling stock ?? and $18.9 million in added annual operating expenses such as salaries and fuel.

The distinction is important. RIPTA?s capital costs are often paid by the federal government, while the authority?s operating costs come largely out of the state budget and fares. It is those operating costs ? notably for the bus drivers and, particularly, the cost of diesel fuel, coupled with an undependable revenue source, the state gasoline tax ? that have regularly left the authority?s budget in tatters.

Comparing the transit plan costs with other expensive public projects, the total capital costs are somewhat less than the winning $167.3-million bid for the new Sakonnet River Bridge now being constructed. The streetcar system would cost somewhat less than Providence?s new $90-million Career and Technical High School.

The estimated annual operating cost of all of the recommendations, $18.9 million, would add about 20 percent to RIPTA?s $96.5 million annual budget.

RIPTA has scrambled for money for years just to keep its existing buses running, and the plan acknowledges that the cost of the proposals ?is beyond any near-term funding capacity.? In fact, revenue from a critical present source of money, the gas tax, has been declining for several years. At the same time, RIPTA?s ridership has jumped to 25 million trips per year from roughly 19 million trips in the years before 2004.

?We don?t know how it?s all going to be paid for,? said Amy Pettine, RIPTA?s special projects manager.

The report says that Providence is an excellent candidate for streetcars. In the range of transit options, streetcars fit between the state?s existing two public transit systems, bus service and its growing commuter rail service.

Streetcars are electrically powered, usually through overhead wires. They operate on tracks and share the road with other vehicles. That distinguishes them from more-expensive ?light rail? systems, which have separate rights of way.

The American Public Transit Association says that new streetcar and light rail systems opened in 16 cities between 1995 and last year, along with dozens of extensions of existing systems. One recent national tally found 32 operating streetcar systems, 2 more under construction and 34 proposed or being planned.

The study proposes a ?starter? streetcar system operating within a roughly two-mile corridor. . It would operate from Rhode Island Hospital north through the Jewelry District, downtown and Kennedy Plaza. It would split there, with one branch going to the Providence railroad station and the other to Thayer Street, on the city?s East Side near Brown University.

The arguments in favor of streetcar systems start with transit ?? they carry more people than buses while polluting less than buses and stimulating more transit use ?? and go well beyond it.

The difference, they say, is that a bus line can move or disappear entirely with a single decision by a transit agency. A streetcar line, on the other hand, is built permanently at considerable expense and won?t move. That commitment encourages developers to invest. Supporters say that, given the development they can attract, streetcars are cheap.

The study estimates that the streetcar system would bring ?a huge economic benefit? including roughly 3 million square feet of development on vacant and underutilized land, most of it in the Jewelry District and downtown. It also estimates that the plan would add 4,333 jobs and 2,200 residents to the downtown area.

The plan suggests possible extensions of the streetcar lines down the major streets heading southwest of downtown, Atwells Avenue, Broadway and Broad Street, or south on Allens Avenue.

The streetcars would add only slightly to RIPTA?s ridership, however, one to two million trips per year, compared with the bus system?s total ridership of about 25 million trips per year.

How to pay for them isn?t clear and may depend in part on federal transportation legislation whose shape isn?t clear, either. Pettine, however, said federal policy seems to be leaning in directions that would favor a Providence streetcar system.

?We anticipate there?ll be money for streetcars,? she said.

The plan calls for partially decentralizing RIPTA?s ?hub-and-spoke? route system centered on Kennedy Plaza. It calls for construction of four new bus ?hubs,? on Capitol Hill, Cahir Street to the west of downtown, Thayer Street at the upper end of the College Hill bus tunnel, and at the hospital complex south of downtown. Therrien said that the Pawtucket Transit Center, where 10 bus routes terminate, already amounts to a hub.

The hubs are also intended to make the system more convenient. Most bus routes now start and end at Kennedy Plaza, forcing riders going elsewhere to transfer. Pettine said the hubs would allow routes to stop at Kennedy Plaza and then continue on to one or more of the hubs. ?It gives people a one-seat ride,? she said.

The plan also calls for ?rapid bus? service, which means improvements to move existing buses along faster. One important element, preference for buses at traffic lights, which allows drivers to prolong green lights, passed at the last session of the General Assembly.

That would be applied to the most heavily used bus corridor in the system. It begins at the Cranston city line as the 11 Broad Street bus. At Kennedy Plaza, it becomes the 99 North Main Street/Pawtucket line. Together, the study says, those lines carry more than 10,000 riders per day, more than any other.

KEY POINTSWhat the transit plan would do

Build a streetcar system: The streetcars would serve the hospital complex, Kennedy Plaza, the East Side, the West Side and the railroad station.

Speed up bus service: Institute ?rapid bus? service on the heavily used Broad Street and Pawtucket/North Main Street lines.

Increase service overall: Add 10 percent to existing service to make it more frequent, available more hours on extended routes.

Increase park-and-ride capacity: Double RIPTA?s 28 existing park-and-ride parking lots to provide more opportunities for commuters to travel partway by bus.

blandis@projo.com

Link

Providence beats Boston in urban planning / design yet again.

Forget streetcar, though. To climb College Hill, Providence needs a funicular.

Forget streetcar, though. To climb College Hill, Providence needs a funicular.

At least a small cable car. The funicular is fun in Quebec (only place I've ever been on one) but it's on a cliff. I don't know where you'd put one in Providence as College Hill is not as steep and a lot more settled.

Streetcars are a great idea. It just makes perfect sense in New England. Many of these cities inner rings were developed as streetcar suburbs so it only makes sense that they would function well by bringing back the streetcar. I can picture a streetcar running down Wickendon, Hope, or even Thayer (how cool would that be?!) and then turning and heading into/out of Kennedy Plaza on Angell and Waterman (Or South Main in the case of Wickendon). You'd also have routes spreading outward on roads like Broadway, Atwells, Douglas, Broad, North Main, etc.

Many cities in the region have plans (in some form) to bring back streetcars (New Bedford, Portland, Manchester, New Haven, etc). I'm interested to see who will be the first and in what form?

It probably makes the most sense for cities with large college populations, because they have the most commuters without cars.

There are also a number of regional clusters where it could conceivably work. A Pioneer Valley line connecting Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee and Amherst-Northampton makes the most sense, followed by a standalone system in Worcester and then maybe regional connections in the Merrimack Valley or New Bedford/Fall River.

But it works in Providence because the RI transportation budget isn't as tied up in the MBTA clusterfuck. MA just doesn't have the money to built more transit networks.

I can't see it happening in libertarian New Hampshire just yet. Maybe after a few more decades of Democratification.

I can't see it happening in libertarian New Hampshire just yet. Maybe after a few more decades of Democratification.

Can you vote if you have a ski condo? Whatever passed in Massachusetts would pass straight away in New Hampshire. We'd be like, insider trading buddies in Congress!

I don't think New Hampshire is as libertarian as people may think, well the NH government isn't at least. We only get that because of The Free State Project. I think more people outside of NH have heard of it then the people who live here have. I don't think something like a street car would work for us, maybe in Providence, but I think the vast majority of people wouldn't use it. Something like this would be more recreational then practical I think, even though Providence has such a high pedestrian rate. Before investing such a huge amount of money in a street car, maybe they should invest it into a top of the line bus system if their goal is an affective public transport.

Man, if Providence were a bigger city, College Hill would be the perfect place for a legit heavy rail subway station. Just like Downtown Berkeley, e.g, and Harvard to a lesser extent (no topography, and nowadays much less funk).

A little more detailed info on Providence's Streetcar Proposal.

This is the .pdf file of the "Transit 2020" Transit Study. This particular file is just the Streetcar proposal. Still, it has a few more renderings and a map of the proposed starter route which will go from the hospitals (South of Downtown), through Downcity, and utilize the tunnel from downtown to Thayer St./ College Hill (can we call that a REAL subway?!). IT also shows where proposals for additional lines feed into the center of the city and the starter line. It appears that Washington St./Kennedy Plaza will be the hub of the system which isn't surprising. Anyway, cool stuff to look at.

Here's the map:

Last edited:
I have said it before, but i am so jealous of their Waterplace condo towers when compared with our fan pier.

^Yeah, they're not bad. They REALLY benefit from being on the river basin like they are.

A new proposal for Providence Piers on the waterfront:

A newly formed company, Rhode Island Medical Arts LLC, has proposed building a long-term care hospital for patients recovering from major medical illnesses or injuries.

The $300-million development would include an extended-stay hotel for the families of patients, a marina and a marine terminal for cruise ships and ferry boats, according to a proposal that has been informally presented to the mayor and City Council members in recent months.

link: http://www.projo.com/news/content/CONLEYS_WATERFRONT_06-01-10_3GIKN3I_v25.14cb8da.html

Anyone familiar with this site can agree that it's a wasteland currently (it's a brownfield site). This would be a BIG improvement.

:eek:

That IS a big improvement...any thoughts on how the city will take it?

Providence is full of a lot of dumpy wasteland. I don't mean to crap on it, because I know it is the so-called renaissance city of new england, and it has gotten better (and has some pretty nice parts to it, too) but as an overall place the city has a LONG way to go before it is a nice place to be in general. that said, the proposal above looks nice, and I wish the tower a few years back was built.

this would be a great development, but where would all the big concerts go to now?

Providence is full of a lot of dumpy wasteland. I don't mean to crap on it, because I know it is the so-called renaissance city of new england, and it has gotten better (and has some pretty nice parts to it, too) but as an overall place the city has a LONG way to go before it is a nice place to be in general. that said, the proposal above looks nice, and I wish the tower a few years back was built.

You do mean to dump on it. You don't like Providence and you've been clear about that. That's fine, you're more than entitled to your own opinion.

I do have a few questions though. How is it "full" of dumpy wasteland? This stretch of the working waterfront is, well, a working waterfront. Where are the other stretches of dumpy wasteland? The East Side (an umbrella term for the area larger than Portland's peninsula containing a number of very different neighborhoods), Federal Hill, Elmwood, Downtown, etc are all VERY nice urban neighborhoods. As with any real urban area, there are trouble spots. I'd stay away from South Providence. The Jewelery District is rebounding nicely still and is receiving a BIG shot in the arm from the relocation of 195. So, again, where are the "lots of dumpy wastelands" in Providence?

"A nice place in general?" Really? Define a "nice place in general." Is it Portland? I'd take Providence over Portland any day. Portland is a larger than average tourist town. It's quaint, picturesque and charming but for most, it's not worth more than a weekend "getaway" out of town just like Newport RI, Burlington VT, or Portsmouth NH. Providence has it's trouble spots like any real city, but the flip side is that it has far more amenities from an urban standpoint than a city like Portland ever could. It's a trade off. Me? I'll take the few pockets of trouble for all that Providence offers over the quaint, quiet of a town like Portland any day of the week; but others are different. Many people prefer the smaller town/outdoorsy atmosphere in Portland. By the way, there are TONS of neighborhoods in Providence that are far nicer than what you'd find anywhere in Portland. Take a walk down Benefit Street or S. Main in Providence and find me something "nicer" in Portland. Walk around Wayland Square, Thayer St. or Atwells Avenue and tell me there's a better non-downtown neighborhood center anywhere in Portland. For many, real urban neighborhoods in a truly urban environment make for a "nice place in general." Providence has those things.

The tower a few years back wouldn't have done much for the city other than add a little more height to the skyline which is really unimportant for anything other than ego. Providence doesn't need height, it needs more residents in the Jewelery District and other areas in and adjacent to downtown. It's getting that already (Westin residences, Foundry, Waterplace, etc, etc, etc) and will get more with all of the expansion plans in the old I-195 space. Is Providence perfect? No. No city is. But you're really underestimating the city as a whole. Maybe you need to go back and take another look.

Back