Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

So quirky, so fun, it's gonna add lots of sparkle and energy the area! I predict much success for this little gem of a project. I'm with love with this as well, glass cap and all! ;)

The glass hat box on top of Water Street looks foolish.

From the overhead view, I agree entirely. From the street level, it looks a lot better. According to the renderings, at least.

What currently occupies the space of this corner piece?

This is the current streetview. https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...0x89e3652d0d3d311b:0x787cbf240162e8a0!6m1!1e1

I walk by this spot pretty regularly (inc. yesterday). I admit, I haven't been looking for anything, but I haven't noticed any sort of work going on here. No sign of anything. But I'm hopeful that it's underway. This is my favorite proposal in the city right now.

Some architects refer to this sort of thing as an "intervention."

There are far more "aggressive" forms that can end up on a rooftop.

Thinking about it, this bold juxtaposition of traditional and contemporary forms is contextual with nearby Exchange Place.

My favorite one of these in Boston:
80tJzI8.png

TbQMLWK.jpg

When I moved here 20 years ago, my insurance salesman was right across from this monstrosity. I have been fascinated with it for years.

^ Quite so. This building represents the confluence of architecture and vandalism.

Some architects refer to this sort of thing as an "intervention."

There are far more "aggressive" forms that can end up on a rooftop.

Thinking about it, this bold juxtaposition of traditional and contemporary forms is contextual with nearby Exchange Place.

The image in your link looks like an alien insect hatching, and is whimsical rather than an alien shell imposing upon a handsome building.

That building on Beacon Street with the two story addition tacked on top made Preservation Magazine's hall of shame award many years ago

That building on Beacon Street with the two story addition tacked on top made Preservation Magazine's hall of shame award many years ago

Haha. Honestly I love it. It falls under the category of "so bad, it becomes good". I wouldn't want stuff like that all over the city but out in Fenway surrounded by college students it's an interesting curiosity.

To keep from getting off topic, I echo the sentiment in support of this new project. Certainly not something you expect from Boston.

My favorite one of these in Boston:
80tJzI8.png

TbQMLWK.jpg

When I moved here 20 years ago, my insurance salesman was right across from this monstrosity. I have been fascinated with it for years.

I always think of that as the trailer park atop the brownstone

I really wanna go up and see what those are like on the inside.

On topic, I love the Quaker Lane development.

They have closed off the Water Street sidewalk and are currently having fun smashing windows. Does flickr work for posting images? Couldn't get the images to show up.

They have closed off the Water Street sidewalk and are currently having fun smashing windows. Does flickr work for posting images? Couldn't get the images to show up.

Another fun thing is that there's a mini bobcat parked in one of the offices. They're driving around an office of cubicles with a bobcat hahah

Haha. Honestly I love it. It falls under the category of "so bad, it becomes good"...

filed under the you were the only one with the guts to admit it category.

Boston a lot of very good but, also no shortage of every category of bad architecture.

starting with the most cube shaped highrises i've ever heard about.

Back