Quincy Center Redevelopment

Re: $1 billion development proposed to reshape downtown Quincy

It can compete by being central to a city of over 90,000 people, and by having a red line/commuter line right in the middle of it, plus bus service.

It wants to be a destination where you spend the day, and can walk from use to use. The mall in Braintree is in a great location and does well, but it is still a drive to, and look for parking type of destination that is usually a place you go for 1/2 hr. to maybe 3 hrs. with dinner. The D&B's adds the night life appeal though, and the lines there are ridiculous. I liked the one time I went to the Providence one, but c'mon folks. Really? You need to wait in a line behind 400 people to go play video games and drink beer?

I can see maybe the smaller divisions moving down, but not those located in the main building.

I was expecting a "peanutbutter and jelly time" type meme.

Those look niiiiiiiiiiiice.

Considering that inevitably it was going to be a conservative design these do look really good. Looks like they are adding a curb cut where the building changes colors and theres an suv goin thru in the rendering. Not there now

I'm VERY confused about that title. Why "gets shot in the arm?" Wouldn't that imply the project progress has been hindered? All the article seems to be saying is that there's 55 mil in equity financing that's been secured and the project is moving forward.

Edit: Apparently I'm behind on this idiomatic expression.

Last edited:

a shot in the arm means it's getting a boost

shot in the arm
1. Lit. an injection of medicine. The doctor administered the antidote to the poison by a shot in the arm.
2. Fig. a boost or act of encouragement. The pep talk was a real shot in the arm for all the guys. The good test grade was a shot in the arm for Gary.
3. Fig. a drink of liquor. I could use a little shot in the arm. How about a little shot in the arm, bartender?

Idk, maybe it's one too many Bond movies on my part, but what a stupid expression. Thanks guys.

Idk, maybe it's one too many Bond movies on my part, but what a stupid expression. Thanks guys.
The idiom dates from a time when vaccinations and vitamins were new and exciting. In 70 years, it will sound as good or bad as "project gets rebooted" will sound to them.

Quincy is definitely ready for this.

By way of comparison, Consider that Portland Maine has 66,000 in the city proper and 500,000 in its Metropolitan area (and has its own airport).

Quincy has 93,000 in its city and 500,000 in Plymouth county (its component of the Boston MSA). Plymouth County needs & can support a center city.

Haha you're focusing on guns instead of syringes :)

Quincy is not in Plymouth County. The county seats of Plymouth county are Brockton and Plymouth.

Plymouth has a pretty decent center, but is really a sprawling town. Brockton has a few more people than Quincy, but sadly no real city center to speak of.

That aside. Quincy Center is already a destination for South Shore residents who don't want to go "all the way" to Boston for a night out. There are a bevy of bars and restaurants already in the center. Making it a real urban center in lieu of the car oreinted center it is now is a great thing for the City, and should only encourage more visits, provided you can get there easy still, and the charm of the existing night spots are not lost.

Quincy could play a much greater role in the South Shore community, in terms of both jobs and a good alternative for people that don't want to go all the way in Boston. Plymouth is big land wise, but its just a suburb, in no way a real hub for the South Shore. Brockton I think has potential, but more as a satellite for regional companies (a la New Bedford- but at an even smaller scale).

I think Quincy should strive to be a better Waltham. Both exist on the edges of the Boston-Cambridge employment hubs and should hopefully feed off their success. A lot of companies are trying to attract employees that want the vibrancy of a city and the ability to live and go out close to work. Quincy will offer a great alternative to companies that don't need to be and can't afford to be downtown and still give employees/residents a vibrant and engaging area. It has a subway and commuter rail and can draw in people from surrounding areas, or host residents that don't feel isolated from the 'true downtown scene' in Boston.

As a south shore native, I am excited for this project. I think it has strong urban design bones and a good balance that should hopefully make Quincy a much stronger area.

Q think Quincy should strive to be a better Waltham. Both exist on the edges of the Boston-Cambridge employment hubs and should hopefully feed off their success.
Nicely said. There are clearly somewhere between 400k and 800k people on the near-south shore (drawn from eastern Norfolk and northern Plymouth Counties) who are looking for a city center, and Quincy is well positioned to be that center.

I think Quincy should strive to be a better Waltham. Both exist on the edges of the Boston-Cambridge employment hubs and should hopefully feed off their success.

Nicely said. There are clearly somewhere between 400k and 800k people on the near-south shore (drawn from eastern Norfolk and northern Plymouth Counties) who are looking for a city center, and Quincy is well positioned to be that center.

With better transit, Lynn and Salem could fulfill this role on the North Shore.

Is Quincy's mayor a good candidate for Gov in 2014? (Thread hijack imminent.)

Back