Quincy General Developments

Street level has a lot to like imo. The massing on the existing road is pretty appropriate for a suburban street of detached houses, but then you turn the corner and are greeted by a surprisingly dense urban corridor that is built right up to the street with parallel parking, street trees..etc. The existing building they wanted to repurpose was already set back pretty far so there wasnt a great solution to bring the density up to the road, but they built a new street that goes into the property and brought the density to that instead. I think it works.

IMG_9781.png

IMG_9779.png

IMG_9780.png

Housing in walking distance of the T... Can't think of anything else to like about this. Could it have turned out any worse? They could have put a stately park in front of the old hospital building but instead did parking and a dropoff area. The buildings could have had some relation to the street with modest setbacks and trees along the sidewalk. The parking could have been tucked away and wrapped with the buildings. This is beyond bad. To the many that hit "like" or "love", help me see a diamond in this massive turd, please.
Walking distance is a loose statement. Seems like .65 miles if one cuts through winding backroads.

Pass by this a lot and it seems like work has really started in earnest.

Can't figure out what's going on with this one. Foundation was laid, and last I saw it was back up for sale, but now there's new fencing and some activity seemingly going on.

Missed this when the article came out, but saw that Quincy submitted this for funding through TIP. Always love to see slip lanes being eliminated.

Pass by this a lot and it seems like work has really started in earnest.

Can't figure out what's going on with this one. Foundation was laid, and last I saw it was back up for sale, but now there's new fencing and some activity seemingly going on.

Missed this when the article came out, but saw that Quincy submitted this for funding through TIP. Always love to see slip lanes being eliminated.
The Patriot Ledger article has a paywall. I think this is the Quincy redesign presentation: https://www.mass.gov/doc/massdot-hearing-presentation-quincy-8223/download

What are they building near Quincy Adams looks like the address is 599 Burgin pkwy? Couldn’t find it but looks like a huge piece of vacant land. You can see it from the commuter rail. Also looks like the piece of land is rather swampy when it rains…

What are they building near Quincy Adams looks like the address is 599 Burgin pkwy? Couldn’t find it but looks like a huge piece of vacant land. You can see it from the commuter rail. Also looks like the piece of land is rather swampy when it rains…
On the former Lowe's site? That's where the T's Quincy Bus Garage is going to be. They're going to close the one on Hancock Street and hopefully the city won't squander the opportunity for redevelopment of that site.

Ahh…thanks…woof haha. Although great for Quincy ctr.

The Patriot Ledger article has a paywall. I think this is the Quincy redesign presentation: https://www.mass.gov/doc/massdot-hearing-presentation-quincy-8223/download

Apologies! Yes that is the one. Preferred alternative:
Shot1.jpg

Shot2.jpg

There is intention here to create better bike/ped access to the eastern Blue Hills. Signalization and removing the slip lane make this intersection much better for the pedestrian approach. The unprotected bike lanes on Riccuti Drive aren't great but also there isn't a lot of bike travel or potential for it coming from that direction. The Willard Street approach on the other hand has meaningful room for improvement. There's no need to split it to two lanes until actually reaching the intersection. Maintaining the protected bike lane all the way between the intersections, especially through the underpass, would go a long way to actually making this a viable route.

Decision made [approved] on 40-year tax exemption for medical building in Quincy

QUINCY − The planning board has approved a 40-year tax exemption for a new medical office building proposed by FoxRock Properties at the site of the former Ross Garage downtown [...] Koch told The Patriot Ledger that it wouldn't be possible to bring important medical services back to Quincy without the tax incentive. "It all comes down to the dollars," he said. "FoxRock isn't making a profit on this. It's a commitment Rob Hale made to me in exchange for the land up at the hospital," a reference to the former Quincy Medical Center on Whitwell Street, which FoxRock acquired in 2016 and converted into the 465-unit residential complex known as Ashlar Park. [...] At Wednesday's planning board meeting, FoxRock Director of Design and Construction Josh Kleinman said only the 100,000-square-foot medical office building would enjoy tax-exempt status. The rest of the project, known as Switchpoint Quincy, includes a six-tier, 515-space parking garage; a two-story restaurant; a two-story retail building; and a small park at the property's northern tip.

9 Condominiums Plus Commercial Space in 4 Story Building Proposed for 10 Independence Ave

Property developer Anton Cela, of Quincy, filed an application with the city's planning board to build the structure at 10 Independence Ave., currently the site of an autobody shop. Preliminary designs show retail space on the first floor, nine condominiums on the upper three floors, and 23 parking spaces, mostly to the rear of the building. The total size of the lot is 10,973 square feet.

Cela said he will try to eliminate the commercial space on the first floor, which neighbors, including [Superintendent of the Adams birthplace national historic site, across the street] Peak, criticized for the lack of parking to support it. Asked if he would compromise on the height and dimensions, he said, "We're staying with the four stories."

The plans would require variances from certain zoning requirements. For residential buildings with nine units, the city requires a minimum lot size of 45,000 square feet, far more than the property's 10,973 square feet.

The lack of any setbacks in the front and sides of the building would violate the 250-foot minimum required under the ordinance, according to the project application.

Buildings in the district are limited to three stories, while Cela intends to build four. Ward 2 Councilor Richard Ash, in whose ward the property sits, told The Patriot Ledger that because of the building's height, shade studies may be required to determine whether the building would block the sunlight, leaving the historical sites across the street in shadow.

Another zoning requirement sets a minimum of 1,000 square feet of open space per unit. The submitted plans would include 161 square feet per unit, the application says.

Ash said that on the night after the public hearing, he hosted a "spirited" community meeting at McKay's restaurant attended by about 100 people. He said neighbors and business owners voiced concerns about a lack of street parking, a problem that has grown worse in recent years as the neighborhood has become more densely populated and developed.

Seems to me this one is dead on arrival, because while an auto repair shop fit, liquor store, and sprawling dunkin complex all right there don't offend the 17th century charm, housing does. Also, this is located at a bus stop serving two routes. 23 dedicated parking spaces isn't enough for 9 units and a small commercial space? Give me a break.

EDIT: Oh, and is less than 0.5 miles from the Quincy Adams T station.

Edit2: sorry, three bus routes stop there! 230, 236, 238! And steps away from the 215! There’s hardly a more transit rich area in town that isn’t Quincy center itself

Last edited:
9 Condominiums Plus Commercial Space in 4 Story Building Proposed for 10 Independence Ave

Seems to me this one is dead on arrival, because while an auto repair shop fit, liquor store, and sprawling dunkin complex all right there don't offend the 17th century charm, housing does. Also, this is located at a bus stop serving two routes. 23 dedicated parking spaces isn't enough for 9 units and a small commercial space? Give me a break.
I read about it this morning. That development would be such an improvement for an area where they thought it was brilliant to rip out 3 sidewalk abutting storefronts to expand the Dunkin and get morning rush drive thru traffic off the road. The stupidity is amazing.

Meanwhile across the street from the Adams National Historic Park, they thought this brand new trash was great.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qAXH26vwTzDzrWhk9

Screenshot_20240207-081623.png

There is intention here to create better bike/ped access to the eastern Blue Hills. Signalization and removing the slip lane make this intersection much better for the pedestrian approach. The unprotected bike lanes on Riccuti Drive aren't great but also there isn't a lot of bike travel or potential for it coming from that direction. The Willard Street approach on the other hand has meaningful room for improvement. There's no need to split it to two lanes until actually reaching the intersection. Maintaining the protected bike lane all the way between the intersections, especially through the underpass, would go a long way to actually making this a viable route.
that's solving "half of the problem" since the other traffic bottleneck happens a few yards away when Willard St. meets the rotary.....

that's solving "half of the problem" since the other traffic bottleneck happens a few yards away when Willard St. meets the rotary.....
Yes, but the rotary is out of scope. On that end though it does solve the "Is this one lane for the rotary and one lane for willard, or just one lane?" game that happens there all the time.

2/11 Looking down on Quincy from Granite Links

IMG_0449 by David Z, on Flickr
I've always wondered what the history of that odd office-park-lite section of Newport Ave. is. It's so incongruous to it's surroundings. Very little of the adjacent marshland got developed, did environmental law prevent that?

So this concept was when the project was at 25% design. Significant improvements have been made in the meantime, and I saw the 75% design plans today. The northern approach has had the sharrows/bike lane replaced by the conversion of the existing 5' sidewalk to a 10' multi-use path from the intersection with Copeland to the intersection with the off-ramp. Cyclists would then cross along the eastern side of the intersection and continue with along the buffered bike lane shown above towards Wampatuck Rd and the Blue Hills state park.

The sharrows going around the curve/under the overpass were heinous. Really glad to see that replaced with off-road facilities.

A 4th recreational pot store planned in Quincy, but it needs a special permit.

QUINCY − The developers planning a recreational marijuana store on Brook Road will ask the zoning board of appeals for a special permit Tuesday night.

Co-owners Maggie Suprey and Eleanor Winship told The Patriot Ledger they hope to open the women- and LGBTQ-owned Wildflower Cannabis at 159 Brook Road, a small lot in an industrial zone that currently holds construction equipment and vehicles, within a year.

ffd0f746-0a1e-41e6-be37-683cc1745829-oldnew.jpg.png

Two more recreational stores have come before the board since last summer. In August, a Braintree pharmacist received a special permit to open Pinnacle Cannabis at Water and Liberty streets, less than a quarter-mile from the Wildflower site.

70681735007-screenshot-47.png

Liberty Street Automotive Services would give way to a cannabis store at 15 Liberty Street in South Quincy.

As a neighbor, I love to see it. Anything that roots out the random chunk of industrial use in the middle of otherwise residential/mixed use South Quincy. It's really weird that living in a quiet light density area there is a gorgeous park (Kindcaide) less than a quarter mile from my house but I have to cross through excavators and gravel piles to get there, or that a plethora of auto body shops is the best use of land within walking distance of the red line and half a dozen bus routes. The area has a TON of growth potential that's only just starting to get tapped.

A 4th recreational pot store planned in Quincy, but it needs a special permit.

As a neighbor, I love to see it. Anything that roots out the random chunk of industrial use in the middle of otherwise residential/mixed use South Quincy. It's really weird that living in a quiet light density area there is a gorgeous park (Kindcaide) less than a quarter mile from my house but I have to cross through excavators and gravel piles to get there, or that a plethora of auto body shops is the best use of land within walking distance of the red line and half a dozen bus routes. The area has a TON of growth potential that's only just starting to get tapped.
Not sure I agree that this is realizing growth potential. They are replacing one business with a tidier one and both are car oriented and low density suburban.

Back