Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

They might have to FLIP this property after it looks like a fortress.

More pieces of the sample facade have gone up (including a lit up piece). Still not sure if a sample of the curved glass piece is included, but can't say it looks promising to me. Sorry for the crappy resolution - will not compete for photo of the year.

c8ZJGX6.jpg

It's like they ordered the Sampler from the Central East Germany Factory for Cheap Precast Facades.

Oh, someone's been shopping in the Budget Kitchen Renovation Department at Home Depot.

Cheap countertop on the bottom, back splashes on either side. The windows speak for themselves.

The BRA should be pleased. Iconic is impossible.

We lost the Dainty Dot for this?

I'll wait until I see it rising on the facade, but I am increasingly convinced the developer never intended to build the original renderings, Nothing since has shown quality, with respect to design or materials. The developer and Shen engaged in a Kabuki dance to get the approvals and produce this result.

The developer has been about cheap cheap cheap from the get go.
The VE meetings were really sad with the owner spending nearly 45 alone trying to eliminate 2 roof drains.

I'd be fine if it was two blocks back into Chinatown, but this prominent location deserves much more. The height and massing are fine in my estimation (though 10-15 storeys more would be great) the finish will end up killing the overall affect.

does anyone know why boston never just clads buildings in all glass, thats the easiest way to avoid catastrophes like this, the kensington, and other half assed precast pieces of trash.

Solar gain.
Additional heating cooling requirements would be the first things to come to mind.
Or the added cost of buying better glass that might mitigate some of the above.

Insulated precast panels will have a much higher R value than glass. Meeting energy codes, LEED, blah blah blah.

Solar gain.
Additional heating cooling requirements would be the first things to come to mind.
Or the added cost of buying better glass that might mitigate some of the above.

Insulated precast panels will have a much higher R value than glass. Meeting energy codes, LEED, blah blah blah.

I think this is the most bullshit excuse that developers in Boston make considering that 30 St. Mary Axe is an all glass tower that uses the glass to heat and cool the building, allowing it to use less energy than towers of similar size.

I'm intrigued as to how glass would both help to heat and cool? Aside from significant tint that I don't want in my residential unit (I want crystal clear views.) The emissivity of glass and concrete are about the same, but the radiation through the glass is going to be much greater than the insulated concrete. And, the conductive heat gain during the day would be expected to be greater through glass and the losses at night similarly. I believe your convective losses would be greater as well.

But, if this is bass-ackwards. I would like to know.

For 30 St. Mary Axe the shape of the building moves the air up and around which when the windows are opened helps to regulate the temperature.

For 30 St. Mary Axe the shape of the building moves the air up and around which when the windows are opened helps to regulate the temperature.

Correct but only through the tinted windows. Point is, there are ways to get around it. Developers just aren't willing to invest in it.

Any reason why that street shouldn't be narrowed by at least one lane?

I think it could be. That picture was taken on Sunday though. I'm not sure what it looks like at rush hour.

I think it'd be great if we designed our streets for Sundays and our mass transit systems for the rest of the week, rather than the other way around (ahem, 12:30am last train).

Correct but only through the tinted windows. Point is, there are ways to get around it. Developers just aren't willing to invest in it.

This is kinda the point. Things are possible, but cost.
It's not a bs excuse. There is little to no incentive to spend extra on materials, so we get the cheap.

If spending an extra 10% on materials to see a 5% increase on sales or leases, why do it? For rentals, you're going to get the going rate, and you cannot beat the location, so you'll get your rents.

I'm not thrilled with the above, but I also don't know how to change/fix it.

I think it could be. That picture was taken on Sunday though. I'm not sure what it looks like at rush hour.

I drive that stretch regularly in the evening commute to get to the Pike and it does get backed up. Part of the problem stems from the cars making a right hand turn onto what is often a backed up Kneeland Street at that hour due to the combination of rush hour and theater going traffic when multiple shows are in town.

Well, I was creeping around Boston last week, so here goes with my contribution....

Back