Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

Why does 29 stories look so short in those pictures? Makes One Lincoln look monstrous by comparison. Also, I'm liking how the curve looks from Dewey Square.

29 residential floors is a lot shorter than 29 office floors. Office buildings generally have higher floor-to-ceiling heights than residential buildings. A recent exception to this are ultra-luxury residential towers like One57 in NY.

Why does 29 stories look so short in those pictures? Makes One Lincoln look monstrous by comparison. Also, I'm liking how the curve looks from Dewey Square.

As dshoost said, the floor-to-floor heights vary by use.

We have gotten very used to seeing 14' FTF heights from all of the bio-lab buildings that we have watched go up everywhere. With a res/parking project, the FTF height only needs to be 10' at most.

This means that a 14-story bio-med tower will be about 200' and a 14-story res tower will only be 140'.

Because it's NOT 29 stories!!!!! It's only 25-26.

Ah ok, I don't really pay attention to floor counts beyond noting "it's twenty-something stories" and I just went off what the thread title said. I guess my question was more rhetorical than anything as I'm aware of the different floor-to-floor heights depending on their use.

Someone should really change the thread title to avoid this confusion in the future.

Elkus was replaced as architect by Perkins Eastman. They used the same design but simplified the skin, making it less busy. Not a big change but it does seem more coherent.
Scroll down page. http://perkinseastman.com/news_press_release

It's also the cover story for the April issue of High Profile Monthly. A front elevation rendering is on the back page.
http://www.high-profile.com/

Last edited:

Jeez, this building is a dud. I looked at the first page and the original design was far better. I know the fantasy element usually gets toned down when the final product is designed, but is this value engineering at its finest?

The original proposal had vision and energy worthy of Ken Yeang. We lost the Dainty Dot building for the architectural equivalent a stale sub roll.

The original proposal had vision and energy worthy of Ken Yeang. We lost the Dainty Dot building for the architectural equivalent a stale sub roll.

Perfectly said.

I've seen prisons with more institutional panache. The latest design is worse than the Residences at Kensington, and unlike much of Kensington, this will not be hidden by other towers.

Makes me now wonder if the original was just a tease by the developer, that he never intended or expected to build the original.

You know, it would be funny if in 15 years all of you praise Shen's "heroic" vision for Boston.

And this is going to be a 26-story building.

In its current rendering, it almost looks like the lousy Fiduciary Trust building a few blocks away.

8696250993_53300bf6ca_b.jpg

8696250263_58f9270993_b.jpg

That curve is so beautiful. Such a lost opportunity to somewhat engage the Greenway. Imagine a wall of glass with retail and shops spilling out into that area.

Oh well. Maybe we can hope for a renovation...in 50 years.

Back