Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

1 parking spot for every 3.5 units? That is a joke.

Are you joking?

This building is downtown, sandwiched between 3 subway lines. The residents don't need parking.

You're right...I just find it hard to believe that only 1 out of 3.5 "luxury buyers/renters would go without one.

regardless, the reduction in parking to unit ratio is generally considered a good thing and reduces the costs associated with development significantly (i think shoup calculated it as being 10k per above ground spot and 20k per underground?)

Would it seem strange in New York? Even rich people live without cars there.

Boston is livable without a car, for those that want to. That livability is improving all the time. Easy access to parking induces demand for car ownership. Conversely low availability of parking induces demand for dense, livable, complete neighborhoods.

I wonder if these buildings have long waiting lists for parking spots...like pats season tickets

Do people in Boston need a car? No. Does that mean that people shouldn't own a car? No. Where are people in the forum getting the idea that just because public transportation is nearby, then people should not have cars?

What happens if the person works in a place not reachable without a car? What happens if the person works as marketing employee that needs to travel frequently to an from places that may or may not have access to transportation? What happens if a person needs a car because they often pick up friends or coworkers or family members to get to places?

You may say, why not get a ZipCar account or something. Well, why should they be restricted to that option? What happens if a person needs a car to travel to another place and have to stay there for multiple days for reasons such as business?

I mean, I don't need to get a car to get around Boston but will I be getting one? Hell yes. Why? Because I don't want to take a mediocre bus that comes every 20 minutes or 40 minutes during the weekend. I want to go to places like Nantasket Beach on the weekend instead of being restricted on the weekday. I want to be able to job hunt for companies out in the suburbs. I want to be able to pick up my friends and go on road trips. I don't want to have to walk 15 minutes after dropping off my grocery because the zipcar drop off space is away from where I live. I want to be able to drive home quickly (in less than 15 minutes) after going to the gym instead of taking the train and transferring to a bus (about 45 min+). And if I'm going to pay millions of dollars for a condo, you bet your ass I better have a parking space.

No one said people shouldn't own a car. I just argued that it is not crazy to build a building across the street from South Station that has 0.3 spaces per unit. A person who needs or wants a car won't choose to live in a place without parking. A person who doesn't need or want a car can live at 120 Kingston. The building doesn't have to be perfect for everyone, just for the people who choose to live there.

And I refer you again to New York for evidence of demand for luxury apartments without parking. It is not crazy that there are customers for this building.

Building parking spaces in a garage costs ~$25,000 aboveground and over twice that belowground, typically. Varies a lot due to site conditions.

Kent, nobody is telling them that they can't have a car. They are more than welcome to rent a parking space in one of the numerous garage options around them. Someone who spends a million dollars on a condo won't even blink at the price of a garage space.

What's nice is that they are not being FORCED to pay for a parking space if they don't want one. What we are saying is that with good public transportation around, nobody should be forced to pay for a parking space if they don't want one.

And it's completely dishonest to whine about a "bus that comes every 20 minutes" when we're talking about a location next to South Station within easy walking distance of FOUR subway lines.

Get a grip. You are starting to sound like one of those completely insane NIMBYs.

The potential problems with not providing enough parking spaces for tenants is that they will rely on street parking, which reduces availability of spaces for existing neighborhood residents, or if they park in private garages, which are fixed in number, then demand for parking can drive up the price of parking for everyone.

I recall reading that a parking space at Tremont on the Common was for sale for about $80,000 per, so at those kind of prices, the developer could have build underground parking and made money off the sales of spaces.

The original building, or perhaps it is better to describe it as the original fantasy, could have been marketed to rich Chinese nationals, who are buying high-end property in the United States.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/b...rsue-us-real-estate-deals.html?pagewanted=all

The current reality, not so much.

Minimum parking requirements are a terrible way to "solve" spillover parking. Especially downtown. First of all, there's no guarantee that they work. Second, they turn more of the neighborhood into a parking lot. Third, it adds more traffic to the streets. Fourth, it forces non-car owners to subsidize car owners.

But, aside, you really think somebody that wealthy is going to park their precious BMW on a Chinatown street? There's plenty of garage space in Chinatown already.

rich NYC'ers own cars.

Not all of them and not by a long shot.

25% of Manhattan households own a car.

The top 25% of Manhattan household incomes are above about $170,000.

Even if all the cars are owned by only the richest people, that leaves a couple hundred thousand households who make over 6 figures without cars.

rich NYC'ers own cars.

I'm close friends with two yuppie couples that live in Manhattan. Both are dual income households that I'd guess make high-six to low-seven-figures combined. One couple also has two children. Neither own cars. It's only anecdotal, but it's the only anecdotes I've got.

And +1 on Matthew's comments about parking minimums.

^Well, I guess I'll counteract that with this:

My ex GF's family lives next to Shibuya in Tokyo (so they're rich). Her father and brother both own cars and use it way more than the subway.

And it's completely dishonest to whine about a "bus that comes every 20 minutes" when we're talking about a location next to South Station within easy walking distance of FOUR subway lines.

I'm just giving a general reason why some people may want a car, not necessarily about this project.

Get a grip. You are starting to sound like one of those completely insane NIMBYs.
I'm not but I've seen some members argue in the forum that parking is not needed because of the available public transportation, as if the only reason why people may need to use a car is to get to point A to point B. I'm not saying the ratio is weird, in fact I think it's fine, but I don't think it's weird to want more parking per unit. Forgive me for the outburst.

9521691942_08c0d7543b_b.jpg

9521686790_afb20680d0_b.jpg

9521681692_882513bc41_b.jpg

9518891535_9d89fc16e6_b.jpg

9518879625_c11d4a0710_b.jpg

9521659828_8b55973894_b.jpg

9521653026_8d327d1eff_b.jpg

9518860065_71741f5fc3_b.jpg

9518852831_0462a90933_b.jpg

9518847579_43b8afaa9e_b.jpg

No problem Kent, we all get that way sometimes.

One thing I will say about car owners in Tokyo: you know they are paying much more of their own way for their car. There's no spillover parking because there's almost no non-short term street parking. They have to prove they have a parking space to register their car. And they don't subsidize auto infrastructure like they do here.

One thing I will say about car owners in Tokyo: you know they are paying much more of their own way for their car. There's no spillover parking because there's almost no non-short term street parking. They have to prove they have a parking space to register their car. And they don't subsidize auto infrastructure like they do here.

I did not know any of those things about Tokyo. Fascinating!

While I'm not completely sold on the glassy side, I can at least say with absolute certainty that it looks 1000 times better than the Kensington's glass side. Although, it doesn't get more bottom of the barrel than that.

Back