Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

This one now has an official name and Website.

Radian Boston?!

http://www.radianboston.com/

I've never met a building name I haven't found goofy.

The 1920's walk-ups along my section of Beacon Street in Brookline have ridiculous names like Pembroke, Empire, Metropole, and Royal engraved above the doors. (Great names if you're trying to attract Queen Elizabeth as a tenant...)

My favorite is "Bacon Chambers" in Allston.

I've never met a building name I haven't found goofy.

The 1920's walk-ups along my section of Beacon Street in Brookline have ridiculous names like Pembroke, Empire, Metropole, and Royal engraved above the doors. (Great names if you're trying to attract Queen Elizabeth as a tenant...)

Shep I presume that you are referring to residential building names

Chadwick Lead Works is fairly direct and functional as is Prudential -- although both no longer connect in anyway to their eponymous builders [just love that word]

On the residential front:

I would guess that Symphony Towers are also fairly direct and descriptive [relatively short for the use of tower]

and of course we have the Tower we love to hate -- TOC

I read that as "poofy". LOL.

"I've never met a building name I haven't found goofy."

I guess it will create more "corner units" (i.e., Millennium Place) but I do not understand why they did not bring the glass all of the way to the end.

Top precast part is ooglay.

Yes they should have extended the glass for those 2 additional floors. Probably the worst thing I can say about this building (other than the Dainty Dot fiasco).

That would be confusing as the address is 120.

I just measured it based on the base floorplan in the PNF and it's 1.29 radians (or 73.7 degrees).

Boston02124, you're driving and snapping pics again, aren't you!!! And please don't say you're "stopped in traffic." :)

I just measured it based on the base floorplan in the PNF and it's 1.29 radians (or 73.7 degrees).

That's quite close to = [351113529/857536434]pi = [73.70000004] -- a remarkable coincidence

That's quite close to = [351113529/857536434]pi = [73.70000004] -- a remarkable coincidence

What coincidence? What is the significance of [351113529/857536434]pi?

What coincidence? What is the significance of [351113529/857536434]pi?

It was the best I could do in relatively short amount of time to get close to 73.7 degrees

you start with an approximation such as if pi /2 radians is 90 degrees and pi /4 radians is 45 degrees then there should be some fraction of pi radians that is 73.7 degrees

so try 3 pi/8 radians and then begin to add less significant figures to the numerator and divisor and then twiddle to get close to the desired answer

after a few such iterations and twiddles the above came out almost perfect agreeing to 9 significant figures

Back