Radius Apartments (née The Icon née Western Av Residence) | 530 Western Av | Brighton

Re: Western Ave Residence | 530 Western Ave | Brighton

BCDC Meeting tonight:

BOSTON CIVIC DESIGN COMMISSION DESIGN COMMITTEE MEETING
MAR 22, 2016 | 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM

Contact Name: David Carlson
Contact Email Address: David.Carlson@Boston.gov
Contact Phone: 617.918.4284
Type: Boston Civic Design Commission (BCDC)

1 City Hall Plaza, Boston, MA 02201

Description:
BCDC meeting to discuss the public realm impacts of major projects currently being reviewed by the BRA. Committee meetings are open to the public.

The agenda is as follows (times may be approximate):
6:00 PM Room 937A 530 Western Avenue

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho.../03/22/boston-civic-design-commission-meeting

I'll be there. Thanks for the heads-up.

Downburst, did you end up making it to the meeting? I was there myself.

FFS could people shrink their images before posting once in awhile

Downburst, did you end up making it to the meeting? I was there myself.

Change of plans, actually- coworker volunteered to go instead. Any changes from the developer?

Not too shabby, but calling the Charlesview "the neighborhood standard" makes me sick.

I actually like the new muted color palette. Quite sophisticated.

278BH8Uh.jpg

RMdF8Gxh.png

eduaxZFh.png

FoSyAnRh.png

ZnaZcTnh.png

I like it, but "The Con?" Awful branding.

I like it, but "The Con?" Awful branding.

Uhh, The Icon.

Also, we should probably change the thread title to:
The Icon | 530 Western Ave | Brighton

Re: The Icon (née Western Ave Residence) | 530 Western Ave | Brighton

It's official, I'm a dope.

A handsome tweaking but the blue made it distinctive. If they're going to call it Icon it should be a bit um...iconic.

I read it the same way. It's not terrible branding; rather, poor sign design. Plus, "The Icon" for a 4 story apartment building in Brighton? Seems a tad fancy.

But I do like the architecture.

This looks very good. A bunch of these around Boston are whats going to make a difference, around 5 stories of housing and some retail ground floor.

Looks pretty good. Annnd it looks like they cornered out the intersection to get rid of the high speed right turn off Birmingham.

You are not a dope .. .that is terrible graphic design. There is no reason for you to think that was an I - (besides the fact that no one would ever call it CON).

cca

Are we really going to bitch about the sign on this building?

I like the building but cca is right the graphic design for the sign on the building is awful. I would receive an F if I had submitted a design like that last semester in my graphic design course.

I don't see the problem with the sign at all. Guess that's the pleasure of design. It's subjective.

Were lucky were getting a building that the architects actually took the time and effort to make seamlessly fit into and improve upon the area. Theres plenty of examples all over the city of what we could have gotten if they didnt give a shit. I personally dont mind the sign... But even if it was a turd with icon written on it i wouldnt really care that much because this building is exactly what it should be for this spot. I know we all like to bitch about what gets built here, Im guilty as well, but in this case lets let 1 building that is deserving of praise actually get by for once without trying to find the 1 single flaw it has.

Edit: if you want an example of why we should be happy we are getting this take a gander at the 15 harrison ave hotel renders. Shit can always hit the fan quick here.

I don't see the problem with the sign at all. Guess that's the pleasure of design. It's subjective.

Data, I would say that while that may be true for art in general, design, for the most part, has a purpose, and the purpose in this case is essentially publicizing and selling a product. If half the few people to post on this thread in the past 24 hours cant read what the sign says and thinks it proclaims the very unpalatable name, "The Con" and not "The Icon"... thus, turning people off... that's bad design.

But we all know that the pictures they show dont mean diddly squat for the details of what we'll eventually get, so who cares, anyway? Let's just hope the building overall looks somewhat like the renders. In the parlance of our awful, curbed-Boston-y times, this will be quite certainly "game changey".

Back