Regional Rail (RUR) & North-South Rail Link (NSRL)

Former state transportation secretary Fred Salvucci warned on Monday that Logan International Airport needs a lot more transportation capacity.

In remarks to the state’s two transportation boards, Salvucci offered a tweak of the design of gthe North South Rail Link as one way of relieving congestion at the airport. Instead of running two tracks in each direction north to south, Salvucci suggested having one track in each direction running north-south and one track in each direction headed to the airport. He said the additional rail link to the airport is needed to relieve congestion.

“The airport is actually going to choke without more capacity,” he said.
I like Fred -- he provides an amusing background to reality -- as if the Big Dig wasn't enough of a 20 year disruption -- now he wants to dig up the airport to install a train?
Logan has essentially doubled its passenger volume since Fred was running Mass Transportation [20 to 40 M]. Obviously, some of the passenger growth is due to more people living in Greater Greater Boston and having more direct access to exotic locales. Growth is also due to more people working in places like Kendall and the Seaport who do more travel on the average than typical Mass or even Greater Boston residents. However -- One thing that he might want to consider is that a lot of the new passengers departing Logan arrive not by land or water but by AIr [Jet Blue and now Delta running Hubs out of Terminals C and A] and the same goes with those arriving from wherever -- many never see the streets of Boston -- as they transfer to another plane and fly off to somewhere in the hinterlands.

Overall -- It time for Fred and M. Stanley to abandon meddling with our transportation and light up a perfectly legal bong and chill out

If you were a betting man, what are the odds any of these proposals happen? What do you view as the biggest hurdles from a major overhaul of the CR from happening?

I like Fred -- he provides an amusing background to reality -- as if the Big Dig wasn't enough of a 20 year disruption -- now he wants to dig up the airport to install a train?
Logan has essentially doubled its passenger volume since Fred was running Mass Transportation [20 to 40 M]. Obviously, some of the passenger growth is due to more people living in Greater Greater Boston and having more direct access to exotic locales. Growth is also due to more people working in places like Kendall and the Seaport who do more travel on the average than typical Mass or even Greater Boston residents. However -- One thing that he might want to consider is that a lot of the new passengers departing Logan arrive not by land or water but by AIr [Jet Blue and now Delta running Hubs out of Terminals C and A] and the same goes with those arriving from wherever -- many never see the streets of Boston -- as they transfer to another plane and fly off to somewhere in the hinterlands.

Overall -- It time for Fred and M. Stanley to abandon meddling with our transportation and light up a perfectly legal bong and chill out

Clearly the best possible solution here is to build as many NSRLs as possible.
5dwBo8G.png

Seems to me each Regional Rail line should have a Park-and-Ride (TOD optional) where they intersect 128 and I-495.

Newburyport at 95 & North Beverly @ 128

Definitely could use more TOD. Are these stations currently used mostly as park & rides? Does the parking availability meet demand?

Haverhill infills at 128 & 145

Ballardvale and a relocated North Wilmington on the Wildcat would serve I-93. Not sure what you mean for 128 or 145. 125 terminates close to a relocated N. Wilmington.

Reading infill @ 128, 129 or North Wilmington (terminus)

Definitely 128 @ Quannapowitt

Lowell +1 to US3

Closest Lowell gets to US3 is at Pheasant Lane Mall. If you're going all the way to NH then there will also be infills at UML and North Chelmsford.

Fitchburg infill at US20/128

Oh yeah. Replace Kendal Green with "Weston Junction" or whatever.

Worcester infill 495 @ 90

Not really a good place for this. A reactivated Marlboro Line to Northboro would allow for P&Rs on 495 and 290.

NEC @ 495 (Mansfield)

I wonder how able the NEC is to absorb any infills given the jam-packed schedule.

Definitely could use more TOD. Are these stations currently used mostly as park & rides? Does the parking availability meet demand?

N. Bev has a decent amount of TOD, but the parking is severely lacking and there's no room to increase it so that's always going to be a square-peg.

Newburyport is a groaner for the sore lack of TOD attention. It sits in a very Anderson RTC-like industrial park, but has no binding energy knitting its surroundings together with any cohesion. There's definitely a troubleshooting project to be had in coming up with a new master dev plan for this stop's environs. The decision to not reinstate service to the traditional downtown/waterfront stop is one the city already regrets even if they still won't cop to it and even if the new stop is technically still salvageable for TOD with a better master plan.

Ballardvale and a relocated North Wilmington on the Wildcat would serve I-93. Not sure what you mean for 128 or 145. 125 terminates close to a relocated N. Wilmington.

Outer Haverhill Line if/when sheared off from the Reading Line is a very interesting case study in reinvention. The much faster Lowell Line routing (and/or any skip-stopping of inner stations covered well-enough by Lowell schedules to not need excessive augmentation) opens up lots of new infill possibilities. And the existing stop mix is pretty tasty: Ballardvale, Andover, and Bradford being nicely dense neighborhood walkup stops while Lawrence and Haverhill are major transportation centers. Salem St. on the Wildcat is superior to N. Wilmington on the Western as drop-in replacement. South Lawrence @ 28/495 (superior quasi-replacement for the pre-1981 Shawsheen stop) anchors the other end of Lawrence as a bus node, highway access point, and TOD catalyst. Ward Hill @ 495 and the industrial park is an ideal highway catchment with adjacent employment centers, and is 1 exit from the 495/MA 213 interchange so effectively siphons I-93 traffic away from the NH border. And Rosemont St. on T-owned station land by the new layover has TOD potential at the junkyard next door, walkup residential that's out of range of the downtown Haverhill stop, and bus access that can loop from MA 125. You can do a very nice "reboot" of Outer Haverhill's mission statement on short money just by tweaking the stop mix in this way off a bootstrap onto a permanent Lowell Line re-route.

And yes...Reading Line screams bloody murder for that Quannapowitt stop, which has a very sweet mix of TOD across the street, expansion TOD on the car dealerships most adjacent to the would-be stop, walkup residential, walkup retail, and bus access. Whereas Anderson will always be a primary parking sink by virtue of land utilization all around, Quannapowitt can be born a lot more "three-dimensional" from the get-go by working the mixture to good effect.

Oh yeah. Replace Kendal Green with "Weston Junction" or whatever.

Thankfully the 128 biz coalitions are ahead of the game with a station concept here at the 128/20/117 interchange. T has got to show a pulse on taking up their offer, but there are so many parties willing to move earth right this second to make this happen that the prospects are excellent.

Not really a good place for this. A reactivated Marlboro Line to Northboro would allow for P&Rs on 495 and 290.

Not Marlboro Branch. The *very* much active Fitchburg Secondary does Framingham, FSU, Pike/MA 9 (a.k.a. TJX & Bose world HQ's), downtown Southborough (MA 30 @ MA 85), 495, US 20 @ downtown Northborough, and I-290. With diverse mixtures at each. Fitchburg Sec. CR is already an arguably underrated one that has the misfortune of being buried in queue behind too many other worthy projects, but in an RER universe that could morph into a very intriguing re-study prospect indeed.

I wonder how able the NEC is to absorb any infills given the jam-packed schedule.

It's absorbing Pawtucket and 4-5 more future RIDOT infills just fine despite that congestion. It needs capacity upgrades to quad-track stations when physically possible and 3-4 running tracks, but MA/RI is a far, far cry from the dizzying congestion levels CT has to deal with. Aside from the unexpandable SW Corridor inside of Boston where schedules have to be judiciously managed (e.g. the Needham/Franklin "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" conundrum)...they're fine. The lack of infill potential in MA is more a function of geography: so much wetlands, so few touches to civilization between Readville and the state line that pretty much the only density catchments it touches are the ones it's already touching. And Mansfield really doesn't need a second stop when the existing one is already very convenient to the highways, so that isn't a driver. East Foxboro was the most recently abandoned stop on the Providence Line, giving up the ghost in 1977. There was damn near nothing next to it 40 years ago when low ridership forced the drop, and literally nothing has changed there today. You'd be hard-pressed to find any infill candidates asking a real demand question until you hit the state line.

What about a perimeter CR route along the 128 belt? Hitting the big employment areas of Bedford, Waltham, Burlington, Lexington and Woburn may be attractive to people wanting a suburban option.

What about a perimeter CR route along the 128 belt? Hitting the big employment areas of Bedford, Waltham, Burlington, Lexington and Woburn may be attractive to people wanting a suburban option.

Haha, no. Especially in this climate where employment is headed back into Boston/Cambridge.

Not Marlboro Branch. The *very* much active Fitchburg Secondary does Framingham, FSU, Pike/MA 9 (a.k.a. TJX & Bose world HQ's), downtown Southborough (MA 30 @ MA 85), 495, US 20 @ downtown Northborough, and I-290. With diverse mixtures at each. Fitchburg Sec. CR is already an arguably underrated one that has the misfortune of being buried in queue behind too many other worthy projects, but in an RER universe that could morph into a very intriguing re-study prospect indeed.

I don't think it could be done cheap enough to justify it, but I think you would get some ridership if it was available today... if only to avoid parking in sketchy Downtown Framingham. It'd have to be a semi-express (ie: no further stops until Lansdowne)

Haha, no. Especially in this climate where employment is headed back into Boston/Cambridge.

While that may the case with some companies, 128 from Needham through Wakefield is a parking lot during rush hour - tons of businesses located along the 128 belt.

I think the biggest issue (along with the aforementioned lack of density) with a 128 rail service (whether that be CR, rapid transit, or LRV) is it will never be an appealing service to car owning suburbanites, and the target demographic will have to be people who live in urbanized areas inside 128 and would rather not buy a car to take a job along 128. And I don't think our commuter rail system, even under a full urban rail scenario will be particularly adept at getting large numbers out to 128; it'll likely be 3 seat trip for most people with a lot of last mile issues. The only scenario where I see it being worthwhile is if the 128 business community is footing a large chunk of the cost in some manner.

The thing about infills is that they do hurt ridership slightly, and increase time, on places further out.

For example the Haverhill, infills make sense if you end the line at Reading, but if you end the line at Haverhill it already has way too many stops.

Providence Line has spread out stops plus straight track, which means that driving can't compete time wise and it has huge ridership as a result.

Last edited:
While that may the case with some companies, 128 from Needham through Wakefield is a parking lot during rush hour - tons of businesses located along the 128 belt.

These days 128 is mostly used to get on 2 (from the North Shore) or the Pike (South Shore). Traffic for the most part dies down once you get past both of those.

These days 128 is mostly used to get on 2 (from the North Shore) or the Pike (South Shore). Traffic for the most part dies down once you get past both of those.
I'll have to disagree with that. I'd say the worst traffic is the afternoon traffic from Burlington to Wakefield.

I'd say that more traffic comes from route 3, 93, and 95 than the routes you mentioned.

I think the biggest issue (along with the aforementioned lack of density) with a 128 rail service (whether that be CR, rapid transit, or LRV) is it will never be an appealing service to car owning suburbanites, and the target demographic will have to be people who live in urbanized areas inside 128 and would rather not buy a car to take a job along 128. And I don't think our commuter rail system, even under a full urban rail scenario will be particularly adept at getting large numbers out to 128; it'll likely be 3 seat trip for most people with a lot of last mile issues. The only scenario where I see it being worthwhile is if the 128 business community is footing a large chunk of the cost in some manner.

If it ever happens it would probably be some sort of BRT or LRT and would need to be coupled with/pursuant to residential/mixed-use developments alongside the business parks. Not many existing suburbanites aren't going to drive to a park & ride in Waltham to take a bus/train to Burlington. It would require new nodes of residential in the towns and cities on the corridor to be viable.

A regional rail system could easily have a "big pile" of employment & housing at each "CR@128" stop (or +/- 1 stop, like "in" at Brandeis or "out" at Anderson) that could attract single-seat riders from radially on the same line, or, in an NSRL scenario, 2 seat rides from the opposite side of the core.

A critique of the Washington Metro has always been that it functions more as an EMU Commuter Railroad. Social justice overtones aside, this Critique is essentially true: DC Metro functions a lot like how NSRL would in Boston, and ends up being instructive what fast, frequent, service can do for commuting patterns at "Edge Cities" situated on the Beltway like Tysons Corner (VA), and Largo, Wheaton New Carrollton, Greenbelt (MD) subway termini, and also inside-the-Beltway centers like Ballston and Crystal City (Arlington VA) that are all both origin and destination of work trips.

Interestingly, it actually worked putting stops near the Beltway (+/- 1), creating the edge cities above and creating the demand for circumferential trips is what is powering the Purple Line to run just inside the Beltway between these centers (it connects 3 MARC lines and 4 Subway lines)

Last edited:
Yeah the problem with the DC Metro is that the stop spacing isnt great for local trips, which is why they started their own "Circulator" system that was supposed to be 6 different streetcar routes..

I'll have to disagree with that. I'd say the worst traffic is the afternoon traffic from Burlington to Wakefield.

I could see traffic being bad getting onto 3 and 93. I don't think it's as bad as South of the Pike.

The worst is clearly near the Southeast Expressway.

jklo -- apparently you haven't been following what has been developing in Waltham on Rt-128 [from Rt-20 to Rt-2]
over 1M sq ft of new and renovated office / labs have been completed and for the most part occupied already [last 2 years]*1 with another equal amount in the pipeline for delivery in the next 2 years *2

*1 -- e.g. Post -- conversion of old Post Office facility to 400,000 sq ft office / lab campus -- mostly rented
*2 -- Hobbs Brook -- leveled old 1 story office bldg -- building 500,000 sq. ft flex office / lab campus

Lowest speeds at 3:47 PM on a Friday afternoon are on 93S through the Quincy-Braintree stretch, but when looking at both directions, 128 north of 90 does seem to be the worst.
2019-11-01_15-51-09.jpg

From the FMCB today.... EDITED: SEE BELOW.

I need to turn off the livestream now - someone else can keep going for resolution 3 :).

Last edited:
Any talk about short term fixes like filling 3 hour evening and weekend headways?

Im skeptical MBTA will be able to do 15 minute headways if they cant even do hourly now.

Back