Renovations to BPL's Johnson Wing | Back Bay

Re: Menino plans renovations to BPL's Johnson Wing

Thanks for the update Datadyne! The interior looks much improved.

One question: Game systems in the library? That's one way to get the kids in the door...

The grand opening of Phase I (2nd floor of Johnson wing) was a half hr ago.

B-YgH3LCcAAVmFb.jpg:large

That pic is proving to be the most controversial on Twitter.

My take: Libraries have to evolve with the times and become media centers where everyone can access various forms of media regardless of financial means. Video games are solidly part of our modern media. Libraries aren't just about books anymore.

More from BPL Twitter:

Menino would have loved to cut this ribbon:

B-YpKM2CEAAQ0N0.jpg:large

Also, I really want to sit in this chair:

B-Yr8VVIIAA0bSi.jpg:large

A fine children's library.

I vote for changing this thread's title.

Seriously, this looks fantastic. Photos do it justice but there's also something to be said for seeing it in person. The new feeling of openness is impressive.

I'll repeat what had already been started in this forum: This is a model for what possibly could be done to City Hall

I'll repeat what had already been started in this forum: This is a model for what possibly could be done to City Hall

Agree -- although I still think that the back corner is an ideal location for a slim 20+ story all glass*1 residential tower for those people who just want to take an elevator to a real library and reading room

*1 the all-glass would be a tongue in cheek homage to Johnson's Glass House

Globe: Cafe, broadcast studio coming to BPL

The Boston Globe said:
In a unique partnership, WGBH and a local catering company are teaming up to open a cafe, event space, and broadcast studio in the Johnson Building of the Boston Public Library in Copley Square.

[...]

The new retail space, dubbed The Newsfeed Café, will take up 4,500 square feet of the first floor with two entrances along Boylston and Exeter streets.

[...]

The radio station and the Catered Affair, a Rockland catering and events company that will manage the cafe, will lease the space for $135,000 a year under a 5-year contract.

I love the name of "Newsfeed Cafe." I picture lots of media screens displaying tweets, Facebook, Instagram, etc posts about current events ("trending" and "moments"), Boston, and the BPL. Could be really cool if executed well.

I love the name of "Newsfeed Cafe." I picture lots of media screens displaying tweets, Facebook, Instagram, etc posts about current events ("trending" and "moments"), Boston, and the BPL. Could be really cool if executed well.

Data -- i think it will be great to have another in-down-town studio -- now there will be 3:
  • ch7-- Gov center -- home studio
  • ch25 -- Boston Common and State House -- small branch
  • ch2 -- BPL -- [TBD]
  • honorable mention for Ch4 -- a bit too far away from the action
  • honorable mention for 10 Liberty Square, Boston home of VideoLink with their ubiquitous experts commenting on whatever with a Boston backdrop

^ Slightly off topic, but I think the empty retail space on the rear corner of the Burnham Building - corner of Hawley and Summer - would make an awesome space for either Channel 4 or 5 to build a street-level studio, especially for a morning show-type broadcast.

looks terrific - really warm colors inside

Hell yes! Just gained even more appreciation for the Johnson Building. I liked it before, especially its massing that echoes the McKim building, but the fortress-like elements at the ground level were from a Boston of the past. This opens up the building to the incredible urban environment of Boylston St that has formed around it, while managing to keep the massing true to its form.

I couldn't be more enthusiastic about this. This is the modern Public Library Boston has always deserved.

Last edited:

Johnson is to McKim as Romanesque is to Gothic

1920px-Boston_Library_eb1.jpg

In an era when everything is steel or reinforced concrete with a skin -- Johnson built a bunker
content

Its especially bad now that the walls are down and those faux massive corner columns are fully out in the open -- Note that they support nothing except Phil's Massive Ego

At least where the bunker meets the masterpiece -- why not dump the concrete for glass

Last edited:

Back