RIP Menino

Horrible news, he really turned the city around.

Man. I knew he was stopping treatment, but not that he only had a few days left.

Man. I knew he was stopping treatment, but not that he only had a few days left.

He was in New York for a book signing last Tuesday. Announced he was ending treatment last Thurs. Died 1 week later.

It might've been some secondary ailment like a flu or pneumonia attacking his weakened state, because that's fast for cancer alone to do it.

This is unexpected and awful. On a lighter note, what do you think the first thing named after him will be?

I just realized:

Marty Walsh and Ray Flynn are the only living members of the Boston Mayorality club. And Flynn has nine-tenths of the tenure in that club.

2-1/2 years ago there were 45 years worth of Hizzoners still kicking. . .

0127_kevin-white3.jpg

This is unexpected and awful. On a lighter note, what do you think the first thing named after him will be?

There should be a Menino Square or Street in the South Boston Waterfront somewhere. Readville Station - Thomas M. Menino/Readville Station

RIP Mayor Menino you will be missed

He actually already has the YMCA in Hyde Park named after him - Thomas M. Menino YMCA, dedicated last December.

I definitely agree we need a square named after him though as well as a statue.

Its kind of a big deal that he ran a City Hall mostly free of serious corruption at the same time that Suffolk County seemed to be producing an endless stream of felons on Beacon Hill.

That's a huge deal, really, and I'd say the best evidence that, where possible, he governed in a way that elegantly balanced ward politics and special interests to produce the biggest benefit for the whole city.

We did have the BRA email-deletion problem in 2009, and if anything, yes, the BRA seems to have spent a lot of time on the razor's edge between power politics and influence peddling.

And I'd say that too much of the "upside" created by State (Silver Line) and Federal (Big Dig) investments in infrastructure, instead of being re-invested in mobility, ended up steered to the big property owners at the expense of actual commuters. Having the state and feds pour, what, $14b into the Big Dig...unions, land taking, big builders and enriched abutters got a lot of money that had nothing to do with Menino. It'd be hard to *not* enjoy a downtown and Seaport renaissance with $15b being spent locally and reconnecting the waterfront and building the Ted, but Tip O'Neill and Ted Kennedy deserve much of *that* credit.

I will simply credit him for being a mostly honest guy.

And, yeah, the BCEC should be the Menino Center and a worthy counterpoint to SF's Moscone Center.

I'd definitely support renaming the BCEC after him. My one qualm with "Menino Center" is that it's so close to "Marino Center." Maybe "(Thomas M.) Menino Convention Center", following the lead of the "(John B.) Hynes Convention Center."

It would also be nice for the famous baseball bat cane to be put on display somewhere. Maybe Fenway Park.

Last edited:
RIP...

I think that they'll build and name a library after him. That's my prediction.

The waterfront park next to the new Spaulding is named after him.

I'll never forget his actions after the Marathon bombing- doing a press conference a day or two after surgery, and his speech at the memorial service a few days after that. He loved this city so much.

Say what you will about his politics or hands on approach to development but I don't think there has been an American mayor that has loved a city and the people of that city as much as Menino loved Boston and Bostonians.

He will be missed.

Back