Roads and Highways General Development Thread

Depending on traffic, the Route 16 eastbound to right turn on Main St move will be a mess. The Mystic Valley Parkway off ramp to Harvard Ave move is a mess under most traffic conditions, even though it has more space than the proposed ramp.

I don’t know why MassDOT is going through this design process to improve the ramp intersections and Main/Mystic when the real effort should be taking down the Rt. 16 overpass of Main St entirely. The whole thing was built for an era of highway expansion that never came to be and it’s a cluster the hard transition from full expressway to one lane parkway. Every time I drive over this bridge I have no idea why it’s still here. There’s be plenty of room to figure out the optimal configuration for this stretch of pavement if they removed the overpass. And to incorporate shared uses and de-prioritize the current freeway intent.

I don’t know why MassDOT is going through this design process to improve the ramp intersections and Main/Mystic when the real effort should be taking down the Rt. 16 overpass of Main St entirely. The whole thing was built for an era of highway expansion that never came to be and it’s a cluster the hard transition from full expressway to one lane parkway. Every time I drive over this bridge I have no idea why it’s still here. There’s be plenty of room to figure out the optimal configuration for this stretch of pavement if they removed the overpass. And to incorporate shared uses and de-prioritize the current freeway intent.
I don't think there's enough state money to do a mini arbor way project on the north end of town for a while yet.

I generally agree with the concept but I think this might be a progressive MassDOT highway department thinking of doing highway "harm reduction".

Joined the meeting for this project yesterday in Medford. It's not even at 25% design yet so there's hopefully changes that could be made to improve the design after all of the feedback MassDOT and the consulting firm received last night. There seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm from residents for outright removing or closing the ramps (which MassDOT seemed opposed to). There were also a lot of people very vocal about how turning the sidewalks into narrow shared-use paths was a step backwards as well as many gripes about the addition of a turn lane on Main St, increasing the lanes of traffic from 4 to 5. Overall I hope they're able to refine this design to something more friendly to all road users instead of prioritizing car throughput and "safety" (fewer car-on-car crashes).
I would remove only the west-bound Route 16 overpass, and move both directions of Route 16 to the surface. The existing east-bound Route 16 overpass would be left in place, but converted to a greenway "land bridge" carrying a new multi-use path (in yellow) over Main Street.. The bright green areas are new park land created:

1715398256177.png

Last edited:
I don't think there's enough state money to do a mini arbor way project on the north end of town for a while yet.

I generally agree with the concept but I think this might be a progressive MassDOT highway department thinking of doing highway "harm reduction".
If there’s not money for radical intervention in Eastern Massachusetts’ most dangerous corridor then we need systemic reassessment of transportation funding.

If rt. 16, Somerville-Revere, were MBTA track it would’ve been shut down a long time ago for safety.

If there’s not money for radical intervention in Eastern Massachusetts’ most dangerous corridor then we need systemic reassessment of transportation funding.

If rt. 16, Somerville-Revere, were MBTA track it would’ve been shut down a long time ago for safety.
The person in the halls of power who understands this best just tried to make that point, but, got shut down hard by our fearless leader in the corner office. So...

While they are not keeping the project website up to date at all, the second largest DOT contract (I-495/I-90 interchange the largest) is ongoing in Weston/Newton.

Presentation from March when it was at the MassDOT Board for approval.

The Newton-Weston I-95/I-90 Bridge Bundle project is replacing 4 bridges, rehabilitating 3 bridges and replacing the superstructures on 2 additional bridges for a total of 9 bridges at the interchange. Awarded to a JV team SPS-Walsh, which is a Joint Venture of SPS New England Inc of Salisbury and Walsh Construction Co of Chicago the project will take 4 1/2 years to complete with final completion in 2028.

The bridges include.....

1) I-90 over the Charles River/I-95/Ramps A/B- Full bridge replacement of entire structure with new structure to be built slightly to the East and within existing footprint with 5 traffic stages
2) I-90 over MBTA Worcester Commuter Rail- Superstructure Replacement to be completed over 55-hour weekend lane shifts on I-90 with full barrel closures & zipper barrier.
3) I-90 over Charles Street- Bridge Rehabilitation
4) Ramps A/B over Charles River (from I-95 NB to I-90 Former Toll Area)- Superstructure Replacement
5) Ramps A/B over I-95/Charles River- Bridge Rehabilitation
6) Ramp G over Ramps A/B/ Former Toll Area (from I-95 SB to I-90 EB)- Full Bridge Replacement, to be built off-line on new alignment
7) Ramp G over Hultman Aqueduct- Full Bridge Replacement, to be built off-line on new alignment
8) Ramp G over I-90/Ramp K- Full Bridge Replacement, to be built off-line on new alignment
9) Ramp C (I-90 Former Toll Area to I-95 SB) over Hultman Aqueduct- Bridge Rehabilitation

First major traffic shift took place last weekend where traffic was shifted off the C-D road that takes traffic from I-90 or Grove Street onto I-95 NB. The lanes and the ramps are now shifted out to the mainlines (but still separated on I-95 NB) on a new temporary roadway crews built. This gives crews a work zone to set up a crane.
Things are certainly picking up on this project. Lots of temporary roads being built.

Some recent updates here: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/t...-bridge-replacementrehabilitation-at-i-90i-95

Last edited:

MassDOT Approves New Route 9 Highway Interchange In Natick, at a Price That’s 40 Percent Over Budget​

NatickRoute9InterchangeRendering.png

“On Wednesday, MassDOT's Board of Directors formally approved a design-build contract that would create the first "diverging-diamond" interchange in Massachusetts, at the junction of Route 9 and Main Street in Natick.

However, the project's price tag came in nearly 40 percent higher than MassDOT's estimates – part of a trend in dramatic construction cost inflation that could cause trouble for bigger highway megaprojects in MassDOT's workplan, like the planned Cape Cod Bridge replacements or the Allston I-90 project.

Frank Welch, MassDOT's Deputy Director of Major Projects, told MassDOT board members during its monthly meeting last week that although the agency's engineers had estimated the Natick contract would cost about $71 million this spring, the lowest-price bid that the agency received, from McCourt Construction, ended up being $99 million

After adding additional costs that are outside the scope of the contract, including additional project engineering work, contingency funds, and traffic police, MassDOT could end up spending $118 million on the new highway interchange (pictured above in a rendering).…..”

NatickInterchangeBikePed.png

https://mass.streetsblog.org/2024/0...atick-at-a-price-thats-40-percent-over-budget

This massively expensive white elephant project isn't worth it. Just build a separated multi-use path on a bridge over the whole existing mess. And, to reduce the traffic accidents, eliminate the loop ramps in the opposite quadrants of the existing cloverleaf, to eliminate weaving. And install traffic lights on the overhead road where needed to keep all the turn movements. Simple, and a whole lot cheaper.

Four crossings just to continue along Route 27 as a pedestrian. Two crossings at pedestrian-only signals (which drivers widely ignore) on ramps. Bus stops that require multiple crossings to reach from any kind of civilization, and god help you if you want to transfer. Everyone involved in designing this monstrosity needs their car keys taken away, because clearly they've had a few too many.

This massively expensive white elephant project isn't worth it. Just build a separated multi-use path on a bridge over the whole existing mess. And, to reduce the traffic accidents, eliminate the loop ramps in the opposite quadrants of the existing cloverleaf, to eliminate weaving. And install traffic lights on the overhead road where needed to keep all the turn movements. Simple, and a whole lot cheaper.
Yeah - I'm left wondering why a parclo was not considered to be sufficient.

Four crossings just to continue along Route 27 as a pedestrian. Two crossings at pedestrian-only signals (which drivers widely ignore) on ramps. Bus stops that require multiple crossings to reach from any kind of civilization, and god help you if you want to transfer. Everyone involved in designing this monstrosity needs their car keys taken away, because clearly they've had a few too many.

For the record, there are four crossings currently, and those crossings are at poor angles and are rather wide. You're always going to have four crossings unless you rule out slip lanes and roundabouts.

They finally raised the speed limit on Route 3 between Burlington to Nashua!!! From 55 to 65!!! It's about time!!! I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it had the lowest speed limit in the entire country compared to where it was *supposed* to be. Considering 90% of the cars on the highway average around 75 mph it was sorely needed.

For those of you who remember, it used to be 55 mph when it was a 2 lane highway. For a few years in the early 2000's they worked to add a 3rd lane, and in that time the "passing" lane was literally the breakdown lane while only 1 other lane was open, super dangerous but still 55 mph. Then they finished and it became an easy 3 lane highway, yet still inexplicably remained at 55 mph. 20 years later and this oversight is finally being rectified.

There are two loops not four currently. So it’s not a cloverleaf.

christ, the sidewalks/shared-use paths in this monstrosity honestly look like satire. No one who is going anywhere on foot is going to follow these curvy paths and cloverleaf looparounds + waiting at 3 different ped signals just to take a left turn.

MassDOT Approves New Route 9 Highway Interchange In Natick, at a Price That’s 40 Percent Over Budget​

NatickRoute9InterchangeRendering.png

“On Wednesday, MassDOT's Board of Directors formally approved a design-build contract that would create the first "diverging-diamond" interchange in Massachusetts, at the junction of Route 9 and Main Street in Natick.

However, the project's price tag came in nearly 40 percent higher than MassDOT's estimates – part of a trend in dramatic construction cost inflation that could cause trouble for bigger highway megaprojects in MassDOT's workplan, like the planned Cape Cod Bridge replacements or the Allston I-90 project.

Frank Welch, MassDOT's Deputy Director of Major Projects, told MassDOT board members during its monthly meeting last week that although the agency's engineers had estimated the Natick contract would cost about $71 million this spring, the lowest-price bid that the agency received, from McCourt Construction, ended up being $99 million

After adding additional costs that are outside the scope of the contract, including additional project engineering work, contingency funds, and traffic police, MassDOT could end up spending $118 million on the new highway interchange (pictured above in a rendering).…..”

NatickInterchangeBikePed.png

https://mass.streetsblog.org/2024/0...atick-at-a-price-thats-40-percent-over-budget
Wow! Talk about a collasel waste of money. I love the dedicated path for people, but I feel like this is a vast waste of land and resources.
Here is a somewhat radical (to MassDOT at least) idea. The first signal going east is 1.16 miles away. The first signal going west is 1.4 miles. Add a signal and slow down the traffic moving through here. Let's ground this "interchange" (it is really just a large intersection or at least should be), add a traffic signal and incorporate the pedestrian features AND car features at grade. This could eliminate the ramping and odd collector roads around the intersection as well as open up land that could be sold off by MassDOT (or at least ground leased). I would also be willing to bet that the land value would offset a good amount of the cost of grounding and rebuilding the intersection. This would also unlock approximately 7 acres of land for development!
1722356967919.png

I am all for MassDOT getting on the DDI bandwagon (even the tough TDOT is embracing them here in TN), but lets do it at actual interstates and not state roads and Main Streets.

Back