Rock Row (née The Ridge, née Dirigo Plaza) | Westbrook, ME

90522A9B-F3E7-4C89-A741-03CBE65B462D.jpeg
7ACD766C-8258-4D99-921F-38219CE7F115.jpeg
1F4148BB-ACD8-4188-A40C-C9394CFE134D.jpeg

If you scroll back to page 7 of this thread, I posted a bunch of the renderings of this part of the development from when it was presented to the Westbrook Planning board

When is construction due to start? I’ve seen they surfaced the area but haven’t done much since.

When is construction due to start? I’ve seen they surfaced the area but haven’t done much since.

It's delayed, since the ground is still settling under the pre-load they added back there. Last I heard, It has settled well over a foot, and they added even more pre-load.

Well said. I think the initial vision and entertainment driven theme was worthy and numerous events and hurdles have altered the final product. It's kind of similar to the rollercoaster ride we've been on during the previous decade at Thompson's Point in my opinion. That said, when Rock Row is completed it will be a huge improvement over what was there and will be an economic boost for Westbrook for many decades.

FWIW, they're still promoting the Phase 2 vision on the website, the land is still there and AFAIK so is the lease of the road network to Metro. I think the vision of a rail link into downtown died with the Downeaster planning to move off of Thompson's Point.

B943B38D-1C80-4480-99BC-FCBC81CF41BB.jpeg

Seems to be a lot of work going into the “boardwalk” around the perimeter of the quarry! I hope this turns out like the original renderings. It’s a very peaceful area around the quarry and there is even a little waterfall from the rain runoff. Cmon Rock Row!! Don’t fail to impress!!

The New England Cancer Center officially breaks ground today
From the PPH
Westbrook’s Rock Row starts next phase of development with medical campus - Portland Press Herald

Also in the PPH article is an updated "aerial" rendering of the final buildout shows the highrise hotel and convention center moved a bit to the west, with residential now entirely on the southern side of the railroad.

Can't see where the "Metro transit hub" is on this new rendering, but I wouldn't be surprised if that has become less of a priority for the developers.

1663760746889.png

Last edited:
When I saw this last night my first reaction was "blah". I'm not sure why exactly, but maybe it has to do with passing a Market Basket, Chase and Chick-Fil-A on the way in. Disappointing densitiy on the south side. It seems like they've de-emphasized recreational use in the quarry - they still show boats but now you have to walk all the way around to access the water? And yeah, where did the transit hub go?

This was never going to be a vision and spend to benefit the growing though scattered community area. It is an out-of-state developer who mortgaged the land and is simply promoting false narratives to find businesses to lease it. The two surefire businesses to make money in Maine today are medical (Maine has the oldest and one of the more obese populations in the country) and cheap comfort food. The latter of which to ensure the cancer patient business continues to "thrive." There is no celebration to be had in these new builds, and the neighbors chased away the only one that provided excitement, entertainment. That was the concert venue. The rock quarry is a fitting metaphor (a hole).

When I saw this last night my first reaction was "blah". I'm not sure why exactly, but maybe it has to do with passing a Market Basket, Chase and Chick-Fil-A on the way in. Disappointing densitiy on the south side. It seems like they've de-emphasized recreational use in the quarry - they still show boats but now you have to walk all the way around to access the water? And yeah, where did the transit hub go?
You won't pass the Phase 1 (current) stuff on the way into the cancer center; from the new image, they've taken out a vehicle crossing of the railroad tracks. The south side will be accessed from Westbrook Arterial.

Interesting that this image still shows double tracks on the RR and what appear to be passenger consists on the rails. I have to imagine that idea is way on the back burner with Amtrak wanting to move off of Thompson's Point.

Interesting that this image still shows double tracks on the RR and what appear to be passenger consists on the rails. I have to imagine that idea is way on the back burner with Amtrak wanting to move off of Thompson's Point.

They probably just didn't bother to update that portion of the rendering. (Notice the trains are in the exact same position as the old rendering) The whole "Westbrook shuttle" idea is fairly dead at this point it seems.

You won't pass the Phase 1 (current) stuff on the way into the cancer center; from the new image, they've taken out a vehicle crossing of the railroad tracks. The south side will be accessed from Westbrook Arterial.
Right - and there are other entrances too - but most coming from Portland or 95 for general amenities will most likely use the Main St/Brighton Ave entrance. I suppose people entering from 95 could also use Larrabe Rd, but I feel like most people will think of Main St as the primary entrance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Waterstone's portfolio is almost entirely made up of suburban strip malls and retail. This vision is WAY outside of their comfort zone, and while I really hope they can see some of this vision through, when the going gets tough, they're probably going to stick within their comfort zone.

Based on what little context I've seen, I'm worried that the residential phase of the project will end up looking less like an urban mixe-use neighborhood and more like suburban-looking "texas donut" style apartment buildings

Like these....
1663773983530.png

1663774003239.png

1663774209168.png

Then that means across the street there will have to be an Arby's and Outback Steakhouse.

Back