Rock Row (née The Ridge, née Dirigo Plaza) | Westbrook, ME

I'm normally an optimistic individual and have been consistent with my cautious approval of Rock Row and Thompson's Point over the years. However, the actual reality of an 8 story hotel, 10 and 14 story office towers, and a 5000 seat event center are very ambitious in my opinion. The Fidelity Building at 85,000 sf cannot find office tenants and is forced to convert to residential. It is located in a prime downtown location where the masses want to be and the available leasing deals were in the $16-17 per square foot range. Not sure how a developer will be able to fill 400,000 sf of office space (equivilant to 3 One City Centers) at Class A rates overlooking the Maine Turnpike and we can use the UNUM campus as an example of how difficult the task can be. I do think the medical offices, the food hall and the residential elements are viable and you can stick a hotel anywhere near the interstate and it can succeed. My other concern is the positive progress that has been made in downtown Westbrook over the past decade and how this massive retail, dining and entertainment complex will impact it. Hard for me to envision any visitors to Rock Row pausing to a take bus, trolly or train for an excursion into Westbrook's Main Street for sightseeing, shopping or dining. I do love the the quarry walk and the connection to Portland Trails!

Yes, but to bring a 1920s structure up to Class A Office quality would be massively expensive if even possible, while building from ground up that same level of finish can be achieved much much more economically and provide the experience that up-market office tenants expect and that their own employees demand. I don't think it's bad at all to bring more residential into Monument Square in the Fidelity. That said, it *is* odd that Three Portland Square at least appears not to be leasing, since that one will be ground-up construction with "all mod. cons." but maybe that would lease faster if it were built as lab space. All to say, I think the Rock Row "medical district" may still succeed where peninsula properties are still struggling for office tenants.

I just noticed that Rock Row has an application for an ordinance amendment for the next Westbrook Planning Board meeting, to allow Class 3 Restaurants (aka bars) as a conditional use in the Gateway zone. I don't know if Cowbell is going to have a separate bar area or what.

I just noticed that Rock Row has an application for an ordinance amendment for the next Westbrook Planning Board meeting, to allow Class 3 Restaurants (aka bars) as a conditional use in the Gateway zone. I don't know if Cowbell is going to have a separate bar area or what.

Perhaps its needed for the proposed beer hall?

The beer hall could be a chain of Time Out Market, like the one near Fenway Park. It's small vendor spaces and thick wooden tables and seating, European style, with beer, cocktails, and unique food selections. Bissell or Allagash could have a small space.

The beer hall did occur to me, but I am so wary of getting my hopes up around any of the Phase 2 stuff that I didn't dare mention it :) .

Turns out, the Restaurant Class 3 conditional use is for the Smuttynose beer garden that was proposed last year and approved by the Planning Board. The State had a problem with it being classified Restaurant Class 2.

1673635612604.png

Out of curiosity, I looked up that defunct contract zone #8 that was mentioned; it basically covers the Stroudwater Tire & Auto on Stroudwater St. near the city line (what some of us might remember as being the old Ziebart dealership, back in the mists of time). Also, Firefox doesn't recognize Ziebart.

Out of curiosity, I looked up that defunct contract zone #8 that was mentioned; it basically covers the Stroudwater Tire & Auto on Stroudwater St. near the city line (what some of us might remember as being the old Ziebart dealership, back in the mists of time). Also, Firefox doesn't recognize Ziebart.
I always thought Stroudwater Tire would make for a great brew-pub or something. lol

Sorry for lack of pictures, but steel is starting to finally go up for the Medical Offices. Small section of two floors so far. Better than nothing.

I'm honestly surprised at how quickly they got to the steel. With the amount of pre-load they had on the site prior to constriction, I figured it was going to require a lot of additional piling and foundation work.

I actually drove by there today....wish I would have snapped a pic. This thing is going up quick!

Cowbell is closing their Lewiston location and saying it’s a merge with the upcoming rock row location. Not sure if that’s more about Lewiston or how crazy busy they expect rock row to be. Awesome location with quarry view

I actually drove by there today....wish I would have snapped a pic. This thing is going up quick!
I'd like to see some desperately needed affordable housing go up quick too, but I'm guessing they are probably thinking about a more upscale result for housing by creating the feel of the area first (for condos). This project will look nothing like the original promises/proposals. But makes sense with more healthcare related functions. Maine Medical has built thousands and thousands of square feet expanding its footprint around the Portland metro area in the last decade. Go look at the Scarborough campus to get an idea--wow. I'm in Indianapolis at this moment, and just drove by a massive construction site with 5 large cranes. It will become a $4.3 billion dollar spend, 44 acre medical campus. The population in this state also leans a lot to the baby boomer set, and so this demographic (like Maine's) needs treatment. With medical technology advancing, it's a good profit model. Naturally, I would assume more healthcare related buildings will go up at Rock Row.

They've done quite a buildout in that space, with a loft for more seating, etc. And they're getting close enough to opening that they're loading in restaurant equipment and menus are posted out front.

I'd like to see some desperately needed affordable housing go up quick too, but I'm guessing they are probably thinking about a more upscale result for housing by creating the feel of the area first (for condos). This project will look nothing like the original promises/proposals. But makes sense with more healthcare related functions. Maine Medical has built thousands and thousands of square feet expanding its footprint around the Portland metro area in the last decade. Go look at the Scarborough campus to get an idea--wow. I'm in Indianapolis at this moment, and just drove by a massive construction site with 5 large cranes. It will become a $4.3 billion dollar spend, 44 acre medical campus. The population in this state also leans a lot to the baby boomer set, and so this demographic (like Maine's) needs treatment. With medical technology advancing, it's a good profit model. Naturally, I would assume more healthcare related buildings will go up at Rock Row.
Agreed. They're still figuring out the senior housing across from Westbrook HS. I think the Dana St. lots on the river (I think recently sold?) would be a good location for affordable housing right in downtown. Maybe 8-12 stories.

I've heard that Cowbell is having a soft launch tomorrow night (Thursday), and an official grand opening Friday. With Orange Fitness having opened (not sure if their being right next to Firehouse Subs and Crumbl Cookies is trying to tell us something), the only open spot that currently exists in the complex is the one they're using for a sales office.

Last edited:
Cowbell is gonna be too busy for its own good I bet. At least first few months. Hope they have a well trained staff

Back