Rose Kennedy Greenway

I'm not a fan of a Museum of "Boston" History if it includes crap from the suburbs. If I want to see a house from Ipswich, I'll go to the Museum of Ipswich History, whenever they build it.
Eschewing Sturbridge, or Ipswich, or Truro, or Everett even, why not replicate the Boston three decker; slice one in half, and do each story in a different decade: say 1880s, 1920s, and 1950s.

And why not a gallery on the building of clipper ships, and at a nearby wharf, a full-sized replica of the Flying Cloud or Sovereign of the Seas, donated to the museum by Don Chiofaro in thanks for getting to build his 'Arch' on the Greenway?

Lets not forget about Roxbury and it's place in African American history. Which I believe to be the most intersting , and American (talk about fighting for freedom), of all American History.

You are free to believe whatever you want of course, but there is already a museum in Boston dedicated to this subject, it's on Joy Street, Beacon Hill - The Museum of Afro-American History. That being said, one doesn't necessarily think of Afro-Americans or Roxbury when one thinks of Boston, not in my mind anyway. IMO when I think of Boston, I tend to think of Puritans, colonists, revolution, American independence, ships, immigrants, bricks, that sort of thing. A Boston History Museum should encompass everything that shaped the city from its founding to what it is, or what it isn't today.

You are free to believe whatever you want of course, but there is already a museum in Boston dedicated to this subject, it's on Joy Street, Beacon Hill - The Museum of Afro-American History. That being said, one doesn't necessarily think of Afro-Americans or Roxbury when one thinks of Boston, not in my mind anyway. IMO when I think of Boston, I tend to think of Puritans, colonists, revolution, American independence, ships, immigrants, bricks, that sort of thing. A Boston History Museum should encompass everything that shaped the city from its founding to what it is, or what it isn't today.

AmericanRevolutionCrispusAttucks1.jpg

FE_DA_080405flag.jpg

Speaking of the Greenway.

The Aquarium thread got me thinking. How about the idea of building a new aquarium on the current plaza and extend it through that useless park and put a second building on the Greenway itself? Obviously, a large portion would be open to public, like the current plaza harbor seal tank.

It would put programing on the park (makes the city happy), help create a street wall along the park (makes the urbanists happy) and open up the the waterfront (makes Ms Li happy). Plus the NEA gets a much needed new building! It is win-win-win-win.

I always liked the area in front of the aquarium. The best aquarium redo plan was the one from, what, 20 years ago, that would have been located in the north side of the Charlestown Navy Yard. The argument for the move was that the area along the now Greenway wasn't big enough for a "world class" facility. I recollect renderings of "walk through" tanks (glass tunnels for the viewers). The fall out from the 1987 crash killed that plan, if memory serves.

I think the main reason people don't realize the Afr/Amer history in Boston is b/c it isn't all that promoted. The underground railroad most certainly had a stop in Boston. A lot of the freed slaves of the colonial and early american era did their thinking and writing in Mass. And the Harlem renesance had it's Roxbury satelite contributing to the movement. Also many famous Black people lived here at some point, most likely for an education. It's got its place and black history. Malcom X was quoted saying he never saw such a high concentration of black people before when he first moved to Roxbury. But yea other things are more thought of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always liked the area in front of the aquarium.

You're kidding right? It's a mess.

It's a mess now, but it wasn't always. It used to have (prior to the addition on the plaza side of the Aquarium) one of the best, if not the best, and most popular fountains in the City. The dolphin sculpture now placed between the Harbor Garage and the water was a part of the fountain. I miss that fountain and some day, when they fix the plaza, I hope it will include a really nice fountain.

Good call, Toby!

Ah, the joys of pre-PC satire. I watched a sickening ten minutes of the gutted, TV-safe version of Blazing Saddles last night. Surely Borat and Br?no are also the children of Guy Grand...

Good call, Toby!

Ah, the joys of pre-PC satire. I watched a sickening ten minutes of the gutted, TV-safe version of Blazing Saddles last night. Surely Borat and Br?no are also the children of Guy Grand...

BB,
I knew I could count on you to get it!
Tory, I mean, Toby

Speaking of the Greenway.

The Aquarium thread got me thinking. How about the idea of building a new aquarium on the current plaza and extend it through that useless park and put a second building on the Greenway itself? Obviously, a large portion would be open to public, like the current plaza harbor seal tank.

It would put programing on the park (makes the city happy), help create a street wall along the park (makes the urbanists happy) and open up the the waterfront (makes Ms Li happy). Plus the NEA gets a much needed new building! It is win-win-win-win.

That is actually a pretty good idea.

I was walking along the greenway yesterday and happened to be stopped by some tourists from Russia looking for directions. They commented on how nice they felt the greenway made the downtown area feel. So I guess it's good that tourists are enjoying things.

Notes from a busy and hot tall ships Sunday:

Shadeless benches stayed utterly empty by Rowes Wharf, on a particularly non-green concrete swath of Greenway plaza used only by street-crossers. Although, now that we know keeping surfaces white and reflective will help ease global warming, perhaps this plaza is more "green" than anyone actually thunked.

1001310e.jpg

On the next parcel, a winding pathway between highway ramps was almost entirely abandoned - despite offering shade.

1001312.jpg

"Maybe nobody wants to walk here," you might think. Well, particularly on a day when ship-seers made their way from Charlestown to Long Wharf to Rowes Wharf and on to the Seaport all day long, the sidewalks themselves were abuzz.

1001311.jpg

Some other interesting notes without pictures:
  • North end parks, fountain and carousel were well-attended and seemed to knit the urban fabric nicely together. But right nearby, a stretch of unshaded grass was an urban desert.
  • Behind the picture above of the path there's a small pedestrian "roundabout" with a few tall trees. There were picnics happening underneath. As far as I could tell, this oasis of activity was due to proximity to a crossstreet and paths that made sense for pedestrian use - combined with ample shade. Interestingly, this favored spot was not provisioned with benches.
  • The fact that crosswalks are at the edges by the streets is, it seems to me, part of what afflicts the use of the central paths, ruining a sense of continuity and ease-of-use. Cross streets here should ideally act as one large crosswalk... perhaps something as simple as cobblestone paving and a central crosswalk could bring a sense of continuity.
  • The Greenway lack a sense of "going anywhere." Why would I want to follow it, other than if it just so happens to be along my route as it was for the tallshippies...? What's the focus? Where is it going? The empty brick stairs down the side of City Hall Plaza towards Quincy Market have more of a sense of purpose than the Greenway.
  • The ubiquitous pedestrian-oriented street maps posted at each tourist juncture still show an expressway, not a Greenway. (Anyone surprised?)
  • Bring on the Arch! (yes, I realize this is opinion, not observation).

Last edited:
Are there street vendors near/in/around the greenway? That just seems like an easy simple way to get people to use the benches and the park. Give them some food, make them sit down and eat.

Battery Park in New York has tons of vendors in it.

Notes from a busy and hot tall ships Sunday:

Shadeless benches stayed utterly empty by Rowes Wharf, on a particularly non-green concrete swath of Greenway plaza used only by street-crossers. Although, now that we know keeping surfaces white and reflective will help ease global warming, perhaps this plaza is more "green" than anyone actually thunked.

1001310e.jpg

On the next parcel, a winding pathway between highway ramps was almost entirely abandoned - despite offering shade.

1001312.jpg

"Maybe nobody wants to walk here," you might think. Well, particularly on a day when ship-seers made their way from Charlestown to Long Wharf to Rowes Wharf and on to the Seaport all day long, the sidewalks themselves were abuzz.

1001311.jpg

Some other interesting notes without pictures:
  • North end parks, fountain and carousel were well-attended and seemed to knit the urban fabric nicely together. But right nearby, a stretch of unshaded grass was an urban desert.
  • Behind the picture above of the path there's a small pedestrian "roundabout" with a few tall trees. There were picnics happening underneath. As far as I could tell, this oasis of activity was due to proximity to a crossstreet and paths that made sense for pedestrian use - combined with ample shade. Interestingly, this favored spot was not provisioned with benches.
  • The fact that crosswalks are at the edges by the streets is, it seems to me, part of what afflicts the use of the central paths, ruining a sense of continuity and ease-of-use. Cross streets here should ideally act as one large crosswalk... perhaps something as simple as cobblestone paving and a central crosswalk could bring a sense of continuity.
  • The Greenway lack a sense of "going anywhere." Why would I want to follow it, other than if it just so happens to be along my route as it was for the tallshippies...? What's the focus? Where is it going? The empty brick stairs down the side of City Hall Plaza towards Quincy Market have more of a sense of purpose than the Greenway.
  • The ubiquitous pedestrian-oriented street maps posted at each tourist juncture still show an expressway, not a Greenway. (Anyone surprised?)
  • Bring on the Arch! (yes, I realize this is opinion, not observation).

I'm going to counter your pictures and show how Friday looked:

Lot's of people and families were here playing and just enjoying the weather. There was a guy that was sunbathing in the parcel before this.
IMG_2355.jpg

The park benches are not empty. There are people on the carousel and a few skateboarders rolling around. In all, there is much activity here.
IMG_2356.jpg

Once again the fountains are handling a crowd.
IMG_2354.jpg

All in all, from what I have seen, the Greenway was most definitely busy this weekend. I was out there on Saturday evening and the place was swarming with activity down these few parcels (fountain, lightblade, carousel) and the pictures shown in the shepards post definitely missed this.

Thanks Kent... nice pics. Actually you're not countering my pictures, but actually providing much-needed balancing images of some points I noted in the bullets but didn't take pictures of.

Shepard said:
Some other interesting notes without pictures... North end parks, fountain and carousel were well-attended and seemed to knit the urban fabric nicely together. But right nearby, a stretch of unshaded grass was an urban desert.

That picture you took of people sunbathing near those crazy white monoliths was the 'urban desert' patch I alluded to; the difference may have been in temperature, time of day, etc. Whatever the case, I assure you that it was vacant at around 2pm today - as was almost every place that wasn't shaded.

No matter what Kent, it's clear that some parcels are working as a public space, while others are highway medians of little public value. And, overall, what knits the whole thing together - where's the continuity, what's the focus and the destinations it brings you to. What faces it, etc...

Who would frequent much of the Greenway on a Sunday?

I'm highlighting light use of certain parcels because, in fact, there were very many people about, especially today (Sunday). The sidewalks on Atlantic and Surface were busy. Not only tourists, but locals in for the tall ships.

Who would frequent much of the Greenway on a Sunday? The people enjoying the fountain could ramble further down if there were clear things to do and see.

If there arent clear things to do and see, and if it's only "open space" to be enjoyed by office workers M-F, then it's a rediculous waste of space. Why assume that from the get-go?

"Who would frequent much of the Greenway on a Sunday" is a defeatist question.

I wandered through this area on a bicycle late Saturday afternoon, while travelling from the Charlestown tall ships to the ones at Rowes Wharf and the Southie piers. The Greenway from Christopher Columbus Park to Rowes Wharf was sufficiently crowded with pedestrians that I didn't feel very comfortable riding my bicycle much faster than a walking speed.

Back