Rose Kennedy Greenway

There appeared to be some filming for a movie being done at the fountain across from the garage....anyone know what movie?

between the Boston TD Bank Fleet Center North Garden Arena Parquet whatever, the north end, the aquarium, quincy market, custom house tower, IC, soon russia wharf, Rowes Wharf, hopefully one day the Boston Arch [okay now i'm just dreaming...] and the waterfront in general [ just to name a few things on/near the greenway] i'd imagine there are a lot of people who would end up wandering onto the greenway and spending some time there.

Don't forget the GC garage (hopefully), which is by far my favorite. I still think the "greenway" can become "world class" but all of these things won't do it without narrowing the streets surrounding it.

I just wish they put a tram on the large sidewalks so that it connects N and S Station directly without having to change lines.

I just wish they put a tram on the large sidewalks so that it connects N and S Station directly without having to change lines.

Yeah, it's been talked about before, but I really think that a surface tram would be the most effective form of LRT running along the Greenway (possibly the MoS to SS) and then over the bridges into the South Boston Waterfront, perhaps along Seaport Blvd. or Congress St.

The tram line that runs through the Embarcadero in San Diego frightens me. I can't say why. It just is this barrier, and I feel nervous around it.

I would feel better about a tram if the tracks were laid in traffic lanes closest to the greenway on each side, with passenger doors facing into the greenway. As many have pointed out, the surrounding roadways are ridiculously wide. The "street cars" would be in the street. Probably wouldn't tie up traffic, and might have a traffic calming effect out on the speedway.

Would this mythical tram everyone is talking about terminate in SS or at Dewey Sq?

The Dewey Sq intersection is a clusterfuck as it is, I can't imagine adding trolley traffic to the mix.

today
031-11.jpg

I'm not a tram fan at all. But, I suppose you could loop it through the "Garden Under Glass" and get stimulus infrastructure money to pay for the greenhouse and the geraniums. But who knows.

Yes, or any other city with a park, benches, and grass surrounded with buildings. I don't think there's any need for drama. It looks pretty nice actually.

I don't think the Greenway is by any means perfect, but every time a picture goes up of it people react with such scorn and horror. A knee-jerk reaction I think. This is one of the better pictures I've seen.

Yes, or any other city with a park, benches, and grass surrounded with buildings. I don't think there's any need for drama. It looks pretty nice actually.

I thought it looked pretty good myself when I saw it yesterday. All that rain in June paid off as everything looks healthy and green. (and what I used to be called: lush)

The thing that really strikes me about these parks, especially the several running from Dewey Sq. to Rowes Wharf, is not just that they are unused, but they appear to be deliberately avoided.

Last Sunday the waterfront was packed with tourists coming to see the Tall Ships. Both the eastern sidewalk of Atlantic Ave., and the Harbor Walk (which is ridiculously too narrow) were crowded with people streaming up from South Station and the Seaport via the Northern Ave Bridge, yet the Greenway was virtually abandoned. People did seem to congregate around and play in the fountains, but the "Great Room" was empty, probably due to its lack of shelter from the Sun, which was particularly hot and bright in the cloudless sky.

This is one of the better pictures I've seen.[/QUOTE said:
thanks! I thought it looked like Houston too! next time I'll try to get out of the car and take a real pix!

News regarding the Armenian Heritage Park slated for Parcel 13 of the Greenway (from Boston Herald guest blogger Mary Z. Connaughton, a member of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority board at http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/news/toll_talk/?p=173):

Parcel 13 - the Armenian Heritage Park

Now 2010

Parcel 13, a four-tenths of an acre lot along the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway was the subject of heated debates.

A prime piece of parkland, the parcel connects the wharf district parks, the North End, Faneuil Hall and Christopher Columbus Park.

Several public meetings gave critics an opportunity to vent regarding the end-game for this parcel, but ultimately, the Armenian Heritage Foundation received overwhelming public support to make this the permanent spot for their gift to the city.

After various process issues were resolved, the AHF got the final nod from the Pike last year to design, construct and manage what will be known as the Armenian Heritage Park. The park is slated to celebrate the immigrant experience in Boston and to remember the victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide and all genocides that followed. Jim Kalustian, president of the AHF, says the park?s programming will feature a lecture series on human rights, done in concert with the Bostonian Society.

Due to the generosity of many within the local Armenian-American community, construction and ongoing maintenance costs of the park will be footed privately. The AHF is chaired by State Rep. Peter Koutoujian and RMV Registrar Rachel Kaprielian.

Design and construction document approvals should be finalized this summer and, with luck, the first shovel will be in the ground this fall with a planned opening in the spring.

It looks fairly nice....

I'd like one more piece of sculpture though. And a bit more greenery.

They should also can the red brick....it doesn't contrast well....

How about the Armenian colors? That would add some splash to the parcel...

armenianheritage.jpg

Back