Rose Kennedy Greenway

Boston history isn't that interesting.

I beg to differ with you on this. From 1630 on, trust me on this one, lots of interesting things happened in Boston. I urge you to read up on this subject, it's quite fascinating. From Hawthorne and the Puritans to the Colonial war through to the China trade, the Boston Brahmin era, to the Great Fire of the late 1800's, the writings and stories of the famous and infamous citizens of Boston is powerful indeed.

My dear avian friend,
I am reasonably well read on the subject. I'll grant you that from flyover country Boston's history might enchant. But to cite your examples: Hawthorne-minor writer. Puritans-loathsome sect rusticated to America while Cromwell et al. did the real history making business. Colonial war-stupid mistake by greedy tax dodgers depriving world of gigantic and enduring English speaking empire. China trade-nice plates. Go visit them at the Peabody Essex. Great Fire- I can name a dozen greater fires. Here's one: the fire during Caesar's invasion of Alexandria that burned the accumulated written knowledge of mankind. Brahmins? Like the seashell, the physical remains are more interesting than the creature that lived in them. But go to India and meet interesting Brahmins! (There is also a cute one who does the weather on Channel 4.)
No, this museum won't hold much appeal for old Toby. Unless there is a collection of colonial dog bones or an all you can drink Haffenreffer exhibit.
Toby

Boo! I love the idea of a Museum of Boston History so much, I bought the domain names!

Even better location than the Greenway would be Copley Square. I'm thinking a takeover of the old wing of the BPL or the new wing, retrofitted.

I am not overly impressed by the list of advisers and staff at the proposed Boston Museum. Certainly, no one wants to lend their names to something without a guarantee of success, but it's short on pedigree.

Wow...that's a rather scathing review of Boston's history. I think you take a very narrow view of American history and the inventions, innovations, and people of reknown who have been part of this city.

In fact I'd say get over your Anglophilia. The English empire endured for another one hundred and fifty years before your Brahmin friends in India were "deprived" of the privilege of being ruled by pompous imperialists.

Anglophile? Woof!!
Toby, not Tory. Narrow view of American history? Barely touched on it. But the bottom of Toby's beer mug does not magnify provincial history beyond its proper size!

I'm won't overrate Boston's history but Hawthorne a minor writer? wtf??

Yeah, sorry Toby. I agree with you on almost everything, but you're wrong on this one, buddy.

I see where you are coming from toby.
I love my city and all but in the course of human history, it's kind of small potatoes.

We''ll wait to see if this so-called "America" idea has any legs under it and then we'll talk.

More wasted tax payers money.
How does the city of Boston plan to maintain the Greenway when they won't let anybody build anything higher than 400-500ft? Boston taxpayers must have really deep pockets or it's more like the city continues to borrow money they don't have off the Federal GOVT.

Um...I think the Greenway is controlled and maintained by the Conservatory, which is a separate, quazi-governmental agency. The city and state do kick in some funds, but I believe a good chunk of its funding comes from private donations from local businesses. (I could be wrong on that.) I'm almost 100% positive it is not maintained by the city.

I'm a frequent critic of Boston but I think you're being a wee bit unfair. There's no doubting that we Bostonians have a napoleon complex at times but there is certainly much that makes this city, both today and historically, one of the most noteworthy places on earth. To name a few events, people and movements that are associated with our hamlet:

Home to some of America's greatest patriots: Hancock, Adams, Revere, Franklin et. al.
Birthplace of the Revolution
Winthrop's City Upon a Hill speech is oft quoted in American political circles and reflects an influential element in Puritan and American political thought
Alexander Graham Bell and the invention of the telephone
Longfellow
Alcott
Emerson
Thoreau
Harvard University
MIT
Center of arguably the greatest concentration of higher ed. institutions in the world
Mass General Hospital
Textile capital of the world for much of the 19th Century
Center of Abolitionist activity
birthplace of the mutual fund
A center of International Finance
Home to innumerable nobel laureates
Birthplace of JFK

For all of these things and many more Boston is hardly a provincial afterthought.

Well said Sidewalks, I agree with you, and we know that your list could go on ad nauseum. I am a Bostonian, born and bred. I consider myself relatively intelligent and well travelled and am therefore acutely aware of Boston's shortcomings in many areas. That being said, I can also say I've gained an appreciation of Boston as no slouch in many areas of importance. A Boston Museum is well justified to highlight its unique stature among American states. Boston's achievements are on a grand scale, as is Boston's contributions to American culture and its psyche. Tobyjug's pontification is silly and with all his pompous bellowing he cannot see the forest for the trees; that being that the discussion here is of a museum highlighting and educating people about Boston's achievements, NOT westen civilizations collective achievements. Get over yourself Tobyjug, your veneer is very thin.

Lets not forget about Roxbury and it's place in African American history. Which I believe to be the most intersting , and American (talk about fighting for freedom), of all American History.

Hawthorne is not a minor author, but he also did not write in Boston.
If one visits the Smithsonian's newly renovated Museum of American History in Washington, they have an entire old house from Ipswich, with different rooms in the decor of an era, and the story of the people who lived in the house during that particular era. They also have Julia Child's kitchen (from Cambridge).

I think part of the problem is that there already is a New England Sports Museum, and a Battle of Bunker Hill Museum, and a Boston Fire Museum, etc.

He may not have written The Scarlett Letter in Boston, but he did write several short stories while living in Boston. He lived at 54 Pinckney Street and also at 8 Somerset Place. These short stories were commercially unsuccessful. He did work at one time at the Boston Custom House.

Last edited:
Tobyjug's pontification is silly and with all his pompous bellowing he cannot see the forest for the trees; that being that the discussion here is of a museum highlighting and educating people about Boston's achievements, NOT westen civilizations collective achievements. Get over yourself Tobyjug, your veneer is very thin.

Ha. I got over myself decades ago! You must forgive me for having some fun at the city's expense and deliberately provoking some of you. Still, name calling isn't a reasoned argument, my friend. But I brought it on myself by pushing it to see how this would play out!

(P.S. No veneer here. Solid deadwood.)

I'm not a fan of a Museum of "Boston" History if it includes crap from the suburbs. If I want to see a house from Ipswich, I'll go to the Museum of Ipswich History, whenever they build it.

He may not have written The Scarlett Letter in Boston, but he did write several short stories while living in Boston. He lived at 54 Pinckney Street and also at 8 Somerset Place. These short stories were commercially unsuccessful. He did work at one time at the Boston Custom House.
Meadowhawk, point conceded, but, from the standpoint of residence, Hawthorne is primarily associated with Salem, Concord, and Lenox.

Even casting a wider net, I'm not sure that a Massachusetts Museum of Arts and Letters would be a draw. Now if you could strike a deal with Harvard to borrow the Glass Flowers, that could bring crowds. Or better yet, find another pair of glass blowers and create your own silica arboretum.

Back