Rose Kennedy Greenway

Here are some photos from New York City's High Line. I'm putting them up on the RKG thread so we can make comparisons.

One tip I can share with you about the High Line. At one end at street level (Gansevoort Street) there is a big blue post office mailbox. If you think it's a good idea to try to get up on the mailbox in order to get a better view of the fireworks, think again. Or, at least think about doing it before drinking 17 beers. Also, after falling over backward the first time you try, consider your luck bad before attempting to do THE EXACT SAME THING A SECOND TIME.

Here's the mailbox in question. See how kind and friendly it looks during the day. Not so, at night. At night it grows tentacles and puts a mind spell on you that makes you think you can get right up on it.

Picture-2.png

As of now, the High Line is open from 20th Street down to the streets between 13th and 12th (the Meatpacking District). Eventually, it will go north from 20th Street up to 34th Street.

There was a good number of people looking around. Many seemed to be tourists who somehow had heard about it. (It was a Monday, so it makes sense that there were few natives, although there were people eating lunch.)

There is some great fauna (I don't know what fauna is, actually). And the wood planking is nice. There is also some public art. And, there are plenty of benches.

It was designed quite nicely, it seems. There is an elevator (more to come) for those who need it.

high_line3.jpg

^^^ Above, the observation deck where you can watch cars go down 10th Avenue. (Wait, you are wondering why you'd want to watch cars go down 10th Avenue? Don't be sour grapes.)

high_line2.jpg

^^^ This is an awesome area; there are two sets of train tracks that go off into that building ... where did they go, where did they come from?? The areas of the High Line where the plants are located are off-limits to people.

high_line1.jpg

^^^ Okay, guess which two of the three rules people were already breaking? I mean, really, don't ruin it for everyone, a-holes.

high_line4.jpg

^^^ Awesome, huh??

Below are a couple extra photos, just for fun. They're off-topic. Still from NYC, just not from the same location. Or, planet, for that matter.

pork.jpg

^^^ This shop sold sausage, ham, and bacon. Also, Canadian bacon.

piece_o_chicken.jpg

^^^ Best business idea of 2009 - a piece of chicken for $1. You can get a wing, you can get a breast, you can get a chicken finger. One dollar, each. Including tax!

nyc1.jpg

^^^ A man / woman wearing a pig hat.

More information, official website: http://thehighline.org

More information, a New York magazine review of the architecture: http://nymag.com/arts/architecture/features/57176/

Last edited:
This NYC project makes me wonder if some small, narrow section of the elevated Central Artery should have been left standing and converted to a similar overhead park.

I'm not even sure it should have been a question of 'if' but rather of 'how much'.

Too late now.

Ron: Congrats on your 4000th post! :D

Step 1:Build Big Dig
Step 2:Renovate Central Artery slightly further and remove on/off ramps
Step 3:Build new incline to North and short tunnel to South Station
Step 4:Add commuter rail and possibly heavily rail
Step 5:Enjoy cheap N/S rail link

Oh wait, that would have required vision......never mind.

Technically, step one required quite a bit of vision. But steps 2-5 would have been nice as well.

Tunnel vision blinded the powers that be to what could have been.

True enough (and clever).

But the mantra of OPEN SPACE carries the day and has since the original expressway went up.

Until the suburban mind set is eradicated from city limits our vision will always be limited.

Handicapped can use the elevator to get up and down. The wood pathways would probably not be too pleasant sitting in a wheelchair, but otherwise, it's totally accessible.

There are public toilets along the route, too.

I recall a formula being published several years ago, as the project approached substantial completion:

For every $100 spent directly on the road infrastructure (or on other aspects of the project, like utility relocation), $0.25 was spent on parks and other mitigation.

In considering this, if the Big Dig cost ~ $14.8B, then the Greenway, the other parks, and mitigation measures cost ~ $37M.

This could be apocryphal information.

Beware of politicians with statistics! That might sound like a lovely figure, but without even whipping out a calculator I can blow it to pieces... The land the parks sit on may be worth $100M. So the decision to have parks cost Massachusetts $100M.

Perhaps the Pike's PR people created a formula that added up the cost of grass seed, bricks etc, and came up with the "for every $100, $0.25 goes to the park" and that may be true (numbers aren't exactly readily available to the public as Statler points out) but the fundamental flaw in the park is that the decision to make them empty median strip blocks itself was a $100M (or more, or less, I'm not an appraiser) mistake.

The new Greenway Planning District will hurt the city even more. So if you want to add in the ultimate opportunity cost to the City and State for having parks vs. developing something, the cost may end up in the hundreds of millions. The Boston Arch might bring in $10M/year in taxes, the Menino Stump that will end up there will bring in less. The financial curse of the Big Dig will reach deep into this century.

^^
I agree with Pelhamhall - that's fuzzy math from a politician. The North End Park cost $14M alone. The Nashua St Park cost over $8M. The Granite Links development (filling in quarries and capping 3 dumps with Big Dig dirt) cost $110M. Granite Links had contributions from private developers and the Cities of Quincy and Milton so it didn't really cost the State that much . . . but if Granite Links cost that much, Spectacle Island couldn't have been far behind (or may have even cost more given that all the fill was barged out there).

What the city should have done is sell off the Greenway Parcels to the real estate developers and let them fund and design the PARCELS.

That would limit expenses from the taxpayers and increase Taxes for the state.

Do not kid yourself. That is what the PRC would like you to think.

Back