Rose Kennedy Greenway

If you include all the buildings, there could never have been an official completion date announced, because the various non-profits had to raise money for their buildings. (YMCA, New Center, Boston History Museum)

MassHort, conservancy group reach agreement on greenway
Boston Business Journal - 11:56 AM EDT Wednesday, April 11, 2007
by Michelle Hillman
Journal staff

The future of a planned botanical garden on the Rose Kennedy Greenway will be left up to the public to decide, according to an agreement reached today by the Massachusetts Horticultural Society and the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy.

The two organizations plan to work together to determine what, if anything, should be constructed on parcels 19, 21 and 22 of the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

"I think it's a question as to whether it can be done," said Peter Meade, chair of the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, in a conference call.

"If the winter garden is the desired outcome, then who builds it is the question," added William McDonough, president of the board of trustees of MassHort, who was also on the call.

McDonough said the Boston Redevelopment Authority will take the lead in determining what should be constructed on the parcels.

Meade said the conservancy and MassHort owe it to themselves to determine if a winter garden is still a practical option. A number of non-profits have struggled to come up with funding to build on the greenway including the YMCA, which recently voted to take a second run at constructing its building on a North End parcel. The YMCA killed the idea more than a year ago when the pricetag for the project escalated to $70 million.

"Where's the money going to come from?" asked McDonough about the winter garden, which was estimated to cost between $70 million and $100 million to build. "Unfortunately, given the economic difficulty in 2001 and 2002, when MassHort was trying to raise the money...the money wasn't forthcoming for the project."

In the meantime, MassHort has agreed to give the conservancy jurisdiction over the three parcels and will work with the conservancy to ensure the 4.5 acres on 19, 21 and 22 are open and green space. In addition, the conservancy will tap MassHort's expertise in the design, programming and planning of the entire greenway.

The agreement to collaborate on three parcels was hatched after two months of negotiations between the conservancy and MassHort. It has been a rocky road for MassHort, which was originally designated to develop the parcels in 1990 but has has been unable to come up with adequate funding or make progress on the construction of a winter garden. As a result, the Massachusetts Turnpike last year began the process to remove MassHort as the designated party to develop the parcels near South Station along the greenway.

Brian Fallon, president of Extell Development Co. and an abutter to 19, 21 and 22, said he was happy the conservancy and MassHort reached an agreement to work together; otherwise it would've been a "lost opportunity," he said.

Fallon developed the InterContinental Boston hotel which primarily overlooks parcel 19.

"I'm glad cooler heads have prevailed," said Fallon. "I think it's a positive step."

Fallon said he's always been a critic of the winter garden and would be happy with park-like public space on parcel 19 as a place holder, leaving the opportunity for a future botanical garden open.

Trees, grass and flowers will appear on the parcels this spring, said Meade, who said he was "elated" about the agreement and was "excited about where we are" in terms of progress being made on the entire greenway. Both Meade and McDonough said the agreement to move forward with plantings on 19, 21 and 22 does not preclude future development.

"We clearly hadn't made much progress with the winter garden," McDonough said.

From the Globe
The Massachusetts Horticultural Society has given up its longstanding claim to three prime blocks of the emerging Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

Greenway and Mass Hort executives said today they have formally agreed that the blocks between South Station and the Evelyn Moakley bridge will become the responsibility of the Greenway Conservancy, a private group that oversees the rest of the new corridor of parks.

Under an agreement signed by the two groups, which for several months had feuded over control of the parcels, Mass Hort will assist the Conservancy and the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority in developing modestly appointed parks there.

They are scheduled to be completed by fall, along with the rest of the Greenway parks.

"The Conservancy is the landlord for the rest of the Greenway, so why not have them stem-to-stern?" William N. McDonough, president of Mass Hort's board of trustees, said today. Peter Meade, chairman of the Greenway Conservancy, said, "We think we have a partner for all the parcels on the Greenway."

Mass Hort has agreed to work with the Conservancy to maintain and improve the entire corridor of parks, the two groups said.

Environmental approvals for the Big Dig highway construction project more than 15 years ago called for a glass botanical "winter garden" on the three blocks assigned to the horticultural society, but the group made no progress.

The agreement announced today is essentially what Meade called for last year, when he asked the Turnpike authority to "de-designate" the society from what had been referred to as the "Mass Hort parcels." Those are now being called the "garden parcels," and at least for the first few years will have grass, rows of trees, flower beds, walking paths of stone dust, and perimeters of brick sidewalks.

A public process led by the Boston Redevelopment, expected to take more than a year, will determine whether a permanent structure is appropriate or feasible in the future.

The other Greenway parks, from the North End to Chinatown, are more elaborately designed, with plantings, public spaces, and water features.

Meade said it has not been determined how much the Conservancy will pay Mass Hort for its expertise.

Meanwhile, he said, the Conservancy now has commitments for $16.2 million of the $20 million that it is required to raise by the end of this year as a Greenway endowment, to help finance its future operations.

WTFWTFWTFWTFWTF????

"The Boston Redevelopment Authority will have control over what is built on the three parcels."

HUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH???????

Where the fuck did that come from????????

Have they had anything to do with any of the other parcels??????

Re: WTFWTFWTFWTFWTF????

JimboJones said:
Where the fuck did that come from????????
Have they had anything to do with any of the other parcels??????

Gotta love politics in Massachusetts's.

BRA controlling the development on these parcels came out of an agreement between the City, the Turnpike Authority, MassHort, and the Greenway Conservancy. All the agencies/groups actually wanted this to happen.

BEYOND THE BIG DIG | GLOBE EDITORIAL
Slowly, the Greenway advances

April 12, 2007

OPTIMISM will blossom soon along the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Construction of a commodious covered "porch" on two parks straddling Hanover Street in the North End is nearing completion, and lawn and plantings will be added when spring finally arrives. These parks should throb with color and vitality when they are fully open in the summer. Progress is being made on an imaginative Harbor Park Pavilion, run by the National Park Service, at the foot of State Street. The YMCA's renewed interest in building a facility over ramps next to the Government Center garage, announced last week, is a big plus. The Wharf District and Chinatown Parks are coming along. Just yesterday, the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy and the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, once at odds , agreed to collaborate on the planning of Greenway parks, including those near South Station once assigned exclusively to MassHort.

And that's not all the good news. The Conservancy is expected to announce this morning that it has raised $16.2 million, well on the way to the goal of $20 million it is required to have in hand by the end of this year. Some of the funds were generated at an extraordinary private luncheon last month at the Parkman House, organized by Conservancy chairman Peter Meade and attended by Senators Edward M. Kennedy and John F. Kerry, Governor Deval Patrick, Mayor Thomas Menino, Caroline Kennedy, former governor Bill Weld, and other civic and business leaders. Senator Kennedy, who sees the Greenway as an abiding tribute to his mother, says he is encouraging various dignitaries to honor their mothers with support for the project.

Despite all these positive developments, however, the Greenway -- stubbornly -- remains beset by significant hurdles and doubt. Designs for the Wharf District parks have received mixed reviews. The three key parcels just north of South Station don't even have an interim design yet. The major iconic feature planned for the entire Greenway is a fountain near Milk Street that will be inoperative for nearly half the year. Planned cultural centers are finding fund-raising slow, partly because they have not received enough information from Big Dig engineers to figure out how they can build. A small parcel near Quincy Market is still designated for an Armenian Heritage Park, which should go elsewhere, or the Greenway will be in danger of becoming a monument avenue.

The goal of making the Greenway a true common ground where people from all over Greater Boston will gather has been accepted by nearly everyone involved in the project, but it will take a lot of effort to make that goal a reality.

Funding and governance issues still plague the project. There is too much reliance on private donations; these are public parks and deserve more public support. Big Dig money is tight, potentially threatening quality. And there is still no client -- no entity in charge. The Conservancy is the closest thing to it and has earned the designation. But it is still operating under an agreement that gives it limited powers and authority over only about half of the Greenway.

Fortunately, there is hope of progress. House Speaker Salvatore DiMasi, a Greenway neighbor from the North End, is also its strong advocate. "I want it to have the funds to sustain itself when I'm gone and others are gone," he said in an interview. DiMasi is seeking a source, possibly a fund within the Registry of Motor Vehicles, that would generate revenue reliably. Meade says he would like $5.5 million a year, in addition to the Conservancy endowment, to guarantee world-class parks and programming.

Meanwhile, the Conservancy staff is pursuing strategies to attract diverse groups, working with schools, churches, entertainers, and various civic organizations. Even naturalization ceremonies on the Greenway are contemplated for new US citizens.

So there is plenty of reason for optimism that the Rose Kennedy Greenway will achieve its potential, but also plenty of work to do.

Link

From The Boston Globe:
Hope springs on Greenway

By Brian McGrory, Globe Columnist | April 15, 2007

Remind me never to go on a walk with Peter Meade again.

My goal was to do a nice, simple hatchet job on the Greenway, along with anyone who has ever had anything to do with this absolute disgrace. You remember the Greenway. The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority used to publish artist renderings of children riding carousels, families frolicking among fountains, couples picnicking on manicured lawns.

These days, drive down Atlantic Avenue, and what you get is block after miserable block of chain-link fences protecting dirt-filled lots. The newspapers are filled with stories of finger-pointing politicians and commissions, task forces, and authorities that can't get anything right.

Enter Meade, that rare Boston power broker with no known enemies. He's the chairman of a group called the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, which, best as I can tell, has no legal authority to do anything, but is doing it very well.

For the moment, he is accompanying me on this tour, sharing none of my gloom. Not one minute into our trip, he sweeps his hand across a vista of rubble and metal and proclaims, "Pretty soon, we're going to have buds on all these trees."

Nearing South Station, I see chain-link fence and a dusty piece of land where the Massachusetts Horticultural Society failed to build. Meade sees three blocks of grass and flowers by the end of summer. He sees a laser-light display reflected off the ivory fa?ade of the Federal Reserve tower.

"I want something very 21st century here," he said.

Moments later, he pointed toward South Boston and said: "By the way, look how close the Convention Center is. It's part of the Greenway."

It's actually about a mile away, but this is a recurring theme. In Meade's view, all of Boston, make that all of New England, is part of the Greenway, and his enthusiasm is starting to get infectious.

But wait a minute, did he say this summer? Indeed, he did. This summer, grass will grow, flowers will bloom, and fences will be gone, even if the park may take years to reach its final form. The place will be meticulously maintained, "A Public Garden that goes from Kneeland Street to North Station," he vowed.

Already, Meade has touched up big donors, businesses, and government agencies to the tune of $13 million for the park. He vows to have $20 million in the bank by the end of the year on his way to a $50 million goal. His conservancy will soon raise money by dedicating bricks to mothers. He's about to put the arm on residents of the corridor who have watched the area transform.

"Part of what you have is all these people who care for it before it even opens," Meade said. "It's kind of like -- and this is going to sound bizarre -- the feelings that people have about an infant before it is born."

That is bizarre, Peter, but that's OK.

I tell him it's a shame we won't have any fountains. He stares at me like I'm nuts.

Standing near the aquarium, looking through a chain-link fence at partially completed columns, he proclaimed, "This will be one of the most complicated fountains you'll ever see."

Down the street, he paused outside the fence to admire the North End park and said, "People are going to be shocked."

"It is the rarest of things for a city our age to redefine itself, and the Greenway gives us that opportunity," Meade said.

As if proving his point, we passed what used to be a nondescript office building on the city side of the park that is being transformed into luxury lofts with new balconies fronting the park. Its website says the condominiums start at $1 million and are about three-quarters sold.

"The city is reorienting itself," Meade said.

So am I. I let my guard down for an hour, and the guy steals away my cynicism.

We can be angry it took this long. We should be suspicious of the timetable. But for now, maybe, just maybe, we should allow ourselves to be pleasantly shocked.

Brian McGrory is a Globe columnist. His email is mcgrory@globe.com.
? Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company
Link

The Aquarium park Saturday.

0704210156.jpg

0704210153.jpg

0704210178.jpg

I'm flummoxed. I was expecting this park to frame a view of the aquarium from the greenway and create an approach down the center, so visitors would not have to walk by the loading docks and exit ramps of the building and garage on either side. Something along these lines.
0704210050.jpg

Instead the idea seems to be to block people's view of the aquarium from the greenway and force them to walk next to the buildings so they'll have unobstructed views of the ramps and loading docks. Makes no sense to me. The lastest ideas of landscape designers are just too advanced for my simple brain to grasp.
0704210151.jpg

0704210188.jpg

i don't see any way how these parks will be ready to open by summer

xec said:
I'm flummoxed. I was expecting this park to frame a view of the aquarium from the greenway and create an approach down the center
My thoughts exactly when I saw that first pic. Of all the inappropriate places to block a view with trees...

The Greenway's landscape architects seem mostly incompetent.

Was this stretch designed from an office in San Francisco?

Btw, thanks for the pictures. (And the usual right-on-the-money commentary.)

To me, it looks like too many trees. The tree canopy, when the trees grow a bit, will block out a lot of the background view somewhat like the old elevated highway used to do.

Why this obsession with making downtown Boston look like a forested suburb? All it's doing in this case is perpetuating the huge linear gap in the urban fabric from the old elevated highway. I'm repeating here the same old mantra, but they really should axe the linear park concept, throw up some dense multi-use buildings here and there, some small plazas and vest pocket parks, and create an urban neighborhood that is exciting and pedestrian friendly. I think tourists as well as everyone else would use and enjoy that type of development much more than the forest-in-the-city that is being constructed.

Isn't the park directly in front of the aquarium a private park, and not part of the greenway? I thought it was owned by Fidelity investments or some company like that.

Shiz, you are exactly right. This is a private park that Fidelity is developing. Unfortunately, they should stay out of the park business.

Bud Ris, president of the Aquarium, is also concerned with exactly what you guys have said on this board (so I've heard, off the record of course). He wants to ensure that there is a linear view of the Aquarium from the Greenway and vice-versa.

ZenZen said:
Shiz, you are exactly right. This is a private park that Fidelity is developing. Unfortunately, they should stay out of the park business.

Bud Ris, president of the Aquarium, is also concerned with exactly what you guys have said on this board (so I've heard, off the record of course). He wants to ensure that there is a linear view of the Aquarium from the Greenway and vice-versa.
They just installed the trees. So, what are they going to do now: cut them down?

Charlie_mta said:
To me, it looks like too many trees. The tree canopy, when the trees grow a bit, will block out a lot of the background view somewhat like the old elevated highway used to do.

Why this obsession with making downtown Boston look like a forested suburb?
Global warming. I say plant as many trees as possible.

I am less troubled by this park and the trees, given that the aquariums front yard so to speak is rather unremarkable.

If the trees and park were masking something like this, the National Aquarium in Baltimore, then I might be screaming, 'chop them down!'.

aquariumPic.jpg

ablarc said:
They just installed the trees. So, what are they going to do now: cut them down?
I hope not. They're really nice trees. Fidelity should donate them to the underfunded and expansive Mass Hort parcels, which could really use them. Then they should fire the firm responsible and hire one with a proven track record of common sense to fix the mess.

Progress on the Greenway, from South to North Stations, as of yesterday, 4/23/07

Parcel 22
img6159ji6.jpg

img6166km0.jpg

img6168ho1.jpg

img6169qw0.jpg

img6170vp6.jpg

img6171pk6.jpg

img6172ta4.jpg

img6173qp9.jpg

img6174ls9.jpg

img6182dy4.jpg

img6183af5.jpg