Rose Kennedy Greenway

xec, exactly! Your pic says it all. A wading pool, with five or six other various sea-creature sculptures, with a few spouting water! Little kids, and most adults, are very easy to please!

I wonder how this design came about. It's great that Fidelity is contributing to the public sphere, as not many local corporations seem to do that, so it's a shame that they, or the people they hire, tend to go astray. Eastport Park is another example. There it's the opposite problem. Not enough tree cover, resulting in the butt-burning metal benches with the warning signs not to sit on them. Fidelity did try to correct that problem, but the artist who conceived the place did so more as a monument to his ego than as a place for people to enjoy and threatened to sue if it was altered. It's ironic that if the parks were switched they'd make more positive contributions.

Elements of both Eastport and the South Boston Maritime Park would have fit in this Aquarium park beautifully! Perhaps Fidelity was spooked by the lawsuit threat and decided to play it safe. What a shame if that's true. I've been to both Eastport and South Boston Maritime Park and they're awesome, even though they're right next to each other! LOL

It's great to see they're starting to make some moves and getting rid of the temporary parks...what about the Museums that were supposed to go up, were those canceled? I thought I remember hearing that Libeskinds museum was canceled but didn't know if they were going to have a replacement for it or just throw a park down.

The only thing that has been cancelled is the Mass Hort designation for three parcels near South Station. The New Center and the Boston History Museum are raising money. The YMCA just announced that they're back, after having pulled out last year.

With respect to the over-abundance of trees at the Fidelity park... I walked by there and it seemed to me that the area was being used as a holding pen for the larger trees that will soon be planted in the artery parks.

Welcome.

Interesting theory. What led you to draw that conclusion?
It would seem odd that the Turnpike Auth would need to borrow Fidelity property to hold their trees.

Doesn't look like a holding pen for trees. I think those trees are going into that park.

The problem is that much of that parcel fronts onto the Eaton Vance building. There's a fairly significant distance between the park and the aquarium. While something aquarium related would be welcome, they may just be trying to spite Eaton Vance (another investment company).

Waldorf said:
I love your eternal pessimism.
It's not pessimism, it's idealism.

Pessimists and idealists both think the world should be better. Idealists think it can.

;)

Waldorf said:
Doesn't look like a holding pen for trees. I think those trees are going into that park.

Wait. Who the hell is Waldorf? And how the hell did you get 300+ posts? Zen Zen is that you?

Wait a minute! waldorf and statler are both named after hotels.

Hmmm...

ablarc said:
statler.jpg

Hotels? What an idiot.
Fool!
Moron!
Clueless!
Wait. What are talking about again?
Beats me!

statler said:
ablarc said:
And not just that! Hey, they're both brands of toilet tissue!!

Plot THICKENS...!

Something going on here.

Regarding the Fidelity Forest in front of the Aquarium....I spoke with the foreman yesterday and he agreed that the park is over planted...but then he didn't design it. The taller trees are pin oak and red oak. He didn't know the species of the smaller trees (planted underneath the oaks> :shock: :? :cry: ). They were in the midst of paving. Get this, the paving will be 90% Cobblestone! :roll: So much for my ankles. I asked him why. He said it was to keep out skateboarders. I'm so glad the skateboarders have so much influence...more, apparently than the general public.

Im a fan of cobblestone.

Possibly because of where I used to live

IMG_3988.jpg

Back