Rose Kennedy Greenway

Ah, but those are not typical of the rounded cobble stones found in New England. Check out the paving of Louisburg Sq around the edge (before they paved section in asphalt) for an example of early cobble stone. Generally streets in Boston used larger blocks, but were meant solely for carriage traffic. I like the flat, dressed stones that you show, which are at least negotiable on foot.

Maybe it's just me, but i like the idea of cobblestone. I don't care what the reason is, or that skateboarders are influential enough to be part of the reason for this. Cobblestone looks nice, and if it's put together the right way, it won't be too tough on ankles. The cobblestone that's hundreds of years old is tough to walk on, but i'm hoping that it's done right on the Greenway.
At least they plan on having it look good for longer than a month.

edit*** Jass- where is that?

Lrfox said:
... and if it's put together the right way, it won't be too tough on ankles. The cobblestone that's hundreds of years old is tough to walk on, but i'm hoping that it's done right on the Greenway....
Perhaps they will do the cobblestones right. Just like everything else.

In the new Dewey Square, there is a strip of cobblestones that has just been laid. They're not rounded, but they're pretty rough nonetheless. And they're near some benches that are perfectly designed to do rail slides on, as skateboarders have already discovered. The Turnpike Authority is so silly.[/code]

jass said:
Im a fan of cobblestone.

Possibly because of where I used to live

IMG_3988.jpg

Where is that?

Padre Mike said:
Ah, but those are not typical of the rounded cobble stones found in New England. Check out the paving of Louisburg Sq around the edge (before they paved section in asphalt) for an example of early cobble stone. Generally streets in Boston used larger blocks, but were meant solely for carriage traffic. I like the flat, dressed stones that you show, which are at least negotiable on foot.

Im not sure which ones you mean. The only coblestone I can think of in Boston is that small road next to the vegetable fair. You walk bu it going from government center to Hanover street

Now, if you really want to keep skateboarders away, this is the kind of road you need to lay out the stone like this:

DSC00508.jpg

Both of my pictures are from different parts of Brazil. Curitiba (first), and Ouro preto (second)

As a bicyclist I'm not too fond of surfaces like this. Ever try to ride a bike in downtown Nantucket?

Panel member: Move Armenian memorial
By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | May 9, 2007

Trying to defuse a long-simmering dispute, a member of a group that oversees the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway is suggesting that a memorial to the Armenian genocide, planned for the new downtown Boston parks corridor, be built somewhere else.

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, which effectively controls the Greenway, meets tonight in the North End to hear public comment on the plan for an Armenian park.

Last summer, the authority tapped the Armenian Heritage Foundation to construct the park on nearly a half-acre close to the Christopher Columbus waterfront park.

Tonight's meeting could become heated: Community groups and civic leaders have said that the new parks were not intended to host memorials, and that Turnpike Authority officials did not follow the standard public process in choosing the Armenian plan for the Greenway.

Robert B. O'Brien , who is executive director of the Downtown North Association, a neighborhood group, and a member of the Mayor's Central Artery Completion Task Force, wrote to the Turnpike Authority this week, proposing other locations for the memorial.

His suggestions: a spot outside the Edward Brooke Suffolk County Courthouse, a few blocks away, or an unspecified location on the new parks corridor along the lower Charles River, in East Cambridge or Boston.

The plan for an Armenian heritage park, to commemorate the deaths of Armenians by Turks in 1915, has won praise from many, including opponents of the Greenway location. It would include a 12-sided sculpture recalling the 12 former provinces of Armenia, a water jet and pool, and a labyrinth of paved stone and grass 60 feet in diameter.

O'Brien said the park is generally acknowledged to be a "well-designed and thoroughly fitting testament to an important historical event."

James Kalustian , president of the Armenian Heritage Foundation, said the group is complying with a Turnpike Authority request to hold another public meeting for comment on the design.

Kalustian said the group would go along with "whatever process the MTA suggests" if the space were opened up to other bidders.

The $4 million park would be paid for and maintained by the Armenian group, saving the Turnpike Authority and the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy money.

But Peter Meade, chairman of the conservancy, a private group, said that's not enough reason to accept the proposal. "It is clear to me some people in the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority a while ago decided this would be a way to get off on the cheap," he said.

A spokesman, Jon Carlisle, said the authority scheduled the meeting because "We want to ensure that this is an open and inclusive public process. The turnpike as an agency remains open to all options and suggestions."

Link

Ron Newman said:
As a bicyclist I'm not too fond of surfaces like this. Ever try to ride a bike in downtown Nantucket?

No I have not. I have ridden on coblestone before and its ok, as long as its not wet.

Unless you have the skinny tires.... I'm more of a mountain bike person myself, so these are kinda fun.

Not to be a smartass, but i think the first picture is of a brick road. Its not really cobblestone. I know in tampa they have alot of bricked roads.... i heard it was because spanish merchant ships used them to weigh down their boat and then unloaded them in tampa so they made roads out of them. bricked roads are easier to navigate then cobblestones IMO.

ablarc wrote:
It doesn't need a redesign. It needs a whole different concept.

City, not park.

hahaha i think the greenway/park will be beautiful but i kinda wish they didn't use all of that land for just a park....the big dig freed up so much land, and although the mayor, among others, wants the city to be more green or w.e i think that Boston already is very green and full of parks....Boston has a lot more green space and parks than most other cities....we got Boston Common, The Esplanade, Commonwealth Ave, Post Office Square, and more. I think this land should have been used for some more skyscrapers since the the city is looking for spaces since many skyscraper proposals have arisen in the past year or so and Boston is really going into a new building boom
but ya idk the greenway will still be great

Typical Boston cobble, still common under most downtown streets, the South Boston waterfront, and the major streets of Roxbury.

I believe that some cities use cobble stone for streetcar routes to warm bikers to stay off the tracks. As Ron said it isn't fun to bike on them.

TheBostonBoy said:
ablarc wrote:
It doesn't need a redesign. It needs a whole different concept.

City, not park.

hahaha i think the greenway/park will be beautiful but i kinda wish they didn't use all of that land for just a park....the big dig freed up so much land, and although the mayor, among others, wants the city to be more green or w.e i think that Boston already is very green and full of parks....Boston has a lot more green space and parks than most other cities....we got Boston Common, The Esplanade, Commonwealth Ave, Post Office Square, and more. I think this land should have been used for some more skyscrapers since the the city is looking for spaces since many skyscraper proposals have arisen in the past year or so and Boston is really going into a new building boom
but ya idk the greenway will still be great

I actually think that this area is just fine being parks. For one, many of the parcels aren't large enough to be turned into skyscrapers, there are a couple, but I don't think that it would fit well there. I also really like the concept of having a beautified corner that stretches from TD Banknorth to South Station.

As far as the Greenway not looking amazing, I actually think that they will turn out alright. Just give them a little while to evolve over time. It isn't like a high-end landscape designer was brought in to create these parks. I believe the MTA undertook the design themselves (please correct me if I am wrong), which was a huge mistake in my opinion.

Padre Mike said:

used to live off the square and i say the cobblestones there are easier to deal with than the brick sidewalks. especially in icy weather. the stones seem to break up the ice and give more traction. the rest of beacon hill is murder to walk up and down in bad weather.

fwiw, i'm a huge fan of more cobblestone of any variety anywhere in boston. plenty of aggressive skate terrain in CHP and, soon, the skate park over by the bridge. (and anyway most of what i've seen in the pictures of the greenway looks like pretty good skating, actually).

Lurker said:

Typical Boston cobble, still common under most downtown streets, the South Boston waterfront, and the major streets of Roxbury.

Oh of course, the track reminded me of where Id seen some. It seems similar to the picture I posted earlier

I dont know why it slipped my mind.

IMG_0210.jpg

My picture was from the same area by the ICA and the maritime chapel. Those are freight tracks to Fan Pier and not streetcar lines as far as I can tell. I have some others from when Broad St. was being torn up a few years ago as well as Ruggles St. in Roxbury. I wish it was used in Downtown Crossing and other areas to naturally slow down and limit traffic rather than physically block off streets. I know it isn't the greatest for women in stilettos, but brick, bluestone, granite, and limestone walks are absolute murder in the winter.

Armenian memorial wins support for Greenway site

More than 120 people attended a North End meeting Wednesday about the future of a half-acre near Christopher Columbus Park on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway. The crowd overwhelmingly supported a proposed gift from the Armenian Heritage Foundation for a park, designed with a labyrinth and sculpture by a team including Boston architect Donald Tellalian, that would memorialize the 1915 Armenian genocide. Greenway officials, including conservancy chairman Peter Meade and mayor's task force cochairman Rob Tuchmann, said the process followed by other future occupants of the parks has been violated in this instance. They seek a moratorium on memorials on the Greenway. (Thomas C. Palmer Jr.)

Link

jass said:
Both of my pictures are from different parts of Brazil. Curitiba (first), and Ouro preto (second)

The first one looks a lot like my friend's neighborhood in a town near Stuttgart in Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany.

Mike said:
Greenway officials, including conservancy chairman Peter Meade and mayor's task force cochairman Rob Tuchmann, said the process followed by other future occupants of the parks has been violated in this instance. They seek a moratorium on memorials on the Greenway. (Thomas C. Palmer Jr.)

The people are douche bags. The Greenway is the PERFECT place for memorials.

I think that these officials should be glad that other organizations want to build their own memorials and parks along the Greenway. For one, they aren't doing an amazing job when it comes to the landscape architecture, and secondly, you would think that, after all of the turmoil and mistakes that have occurred with this project, they would want to give any of it away to another organization to build instead. That way, they don't necessarily take as much heat.

Back