Rose Kennedy Greenway

Should have been a building.

Not only should that not be a building, I hope that when the lease is up that the low-rise section of Market Place Center is removed, or at lest the middle section. This will open up great views of Quincy Market and Fanuiel Hall.

The ramp parcel there needs to be a building. I hope something happens there eventually. Something definitely needs to be done with marketplace center. It was built to shield Quincy Market from the highway and now it's just a big deadening wall on the greenway side. If not torn down, it needs to be reoriented to open up on both sides.

Use should definitely stay as is. This is the one stretch of Greenway that's an unequivocal success. My only issue with it is the price tag. The new carousel is a definite upgrade over the rental, but is it a million dollar upgrade? Yeah.... no.

That was my reaction at first too. But I'm pretty sure this was built with private donations. I feel like I read that somewhere...

It would be nice to have a building here to add a third wall to christopher columbus park.

That was my reaction at first too. But I'm pretty sure this was built with private donations. I feel like I read that somewhere...

Yeah, it's Tiffany's. And I know it's a dangerous game to say, "well, the money could have gone to something more useful," but, yeah, they're building a carousel to replace an perfectly fine existing carousel.

I respectfully disagree. The existing carousel was a seasonal plop-down of a generic carousel that could be found anywhere. The new carousel has the promise of being a fine piece of public art, as well as a popular attraction, that will be permanent and provide a visual enhancement to the area year round. Together with the landscaping improvements to a part of the Wharf District Park that was, quite frankly, a little utilized disaster (the seasonal carousel was only in a small portion of the area to be improved and further south than the planned location of the new carousel), this should be a major upgrade to the Greenway. We can only hope that other areas of the Greenway will be given such attention in the not too distant future.

Yeah, it's Tiffany's. And I know it's a dangerous game to say, "well, the money could have gone to something more useful," but, yeah, they're building a carousel to replace an perfectly fine existing carousel.

The existing carousel is rented.

No, I know it's an upgrade and that the existing one is a rental. The issue is, after spending $1mil+ (granted, not public $), are we really getting $1mil+ in improvements? Hard to say, but I'm leaning towards no at the moment.

They had a bunch of completed carousel animals on display in a big event tent set up on the fountain parcel the other day. The ones I could see close-up all had these hyper-airbrushed paint jobs and smooth bodies that made them look like they were made of fiberglass or plastic. I wasn't crazy about them.

They look like fiberglass cause, according to the article that Officejab posted, http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/...rator_RFP_Preproposal_Presentation_3.7.13.pdf, they are fiberglass! I didn't see them up close and in person like you did but, jeez, the photos of the finished ones looked beautiful! I don't think too many of the little ones are gonna notice anything other than the fabulous creatures and colors! Just looking at the pictures of the kids with the finished creatures shows this! Love the kid on the butterfly doing his best 'bucking bronko' pose or the girl conversing with the coyote! Total Fun and the biggest problem for a kid will be deciding which creature he/she wants to ride!! (that was always my biggest dilemma as a kid when I was in line to get on a merry-go-round as we called it! Hmmmm, I'm torn between rushing to get on the sea turtle or the lobstah!!) :) To me, this project looks like a home-run for the public!

Last edited:
I'd love to see a roller coaster from South Station to North Station. Solve that rail link problem.

I've thought the same thing myself. How about the lawn where the light blades are now next to the Rings Fountain?

That's exactly where I would put it. Not only would it enliven the area, it would take a very unique place in our downtown skyline.

Speaking of which... (apologies for the rushed photoshop)
This would be around 400 feet, I'd think?

I'm sure something like this would look good lit up at night.

ferris_small.jpg

I am all for activating the greenway but I don't want to turn it into an amusement park. A merry-go-round is fine for the kids and tourist making their way through. I think that's where the rides should stop.

Back