Rose Kennedy Greenway

I think the Greenway is the right place for a carousel and the Esplanade is the right place for a ferris wheel.

Awesome rendering though DB! I think it looks good on the harbor too, but on the Charles just feels like the perfect fit.

Forget a shuttle or a T line to connect North and South station, just throw up a roller coaster down the greenway. I'd ride that everyday.

ferris_small.jpg

This is kinda brilliant. Turning the Greenway into an amusement park is a better idea than what it is now. Plus it would bring in funds (not enough to cover everything but it's a start).

As iconic as this might be, do we really want to copy London? And if we do, is that the best location, sacrificing one of Boston's prime buildable locations? If we elect to do it - or something similar, more original, perhaps - can we position it at the end of Long Wharf? That would put it almost be in the water, which sounds cool...

Carousel%201.jpg

Globe article behind the pay wall on the carousel creatures.

..the carousel will include a resplendent assortment of local land, sea, and air creatures: lobsters, rabbits, owls, a skunk, squirrel, fox, right whale, sea turtle, cod, peregrine falcon, grasshopper, three species of butterflies, a sea serpent gondola, and a harbor seal chariot.

A total of 14 creatures will be spread out over three rows on the carousel; most will appear only once, while the butterflies, rabbit, lobster, and owl will be repeated.

The carousel opens by Labor Day. The creatures look delightful.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...light-fancy/YpaHf9vlZ1PD4Keeeyq0gP/story.html

As iconic as this might be, do we really want to copy London? And if we do, is that the best location, sacrificing one of Boston's prime buildable locations? If we elect to do it - or something similar, more original, perhaps - can we position it at the end of Long Wharf? That would put it almost be in the water, which sounds cool...

As much as I would love to see the Greenway mostly covered in development, I doubt we can consider it "one of Boston's prime buildable sites" with any degree of realism.

Too typical. I propose a zip line down the Greenway, starting at the roof of the new South Station Tower (circa 2083) to the front door of the Garden.

As much as I would love to see the Greenway mostly covered in development, I doubt we can consider it "one of Boston's prime buildable sites" with any degree of realism.

Yeah, you're probably right. But if something did go there it would be high profile. That's why he-who-shall-not-be-named bought the garage.

Did a walk in the crappy weather Saturday coming from Fan Pier and heading south for 120 Kingston, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how lush the vegetation has become.

9001778509_d442012c71_b.jpg

9002953734_3df7d363a1_b.jpg

9001766373_8d71c42702_b.jpg

9001760269_96e7ffaf42_b.jpg

9002936072_b54018082b_b.jpg

9001738335_2632a2a678_b.jpg

9001743807_45cb6c49e9_b.jpg

9002901654_a29546a882_b.jpg

9002857524_774ca7c093_b.jpg

Last edited:
Kz, thanks for the photo tour! I'm stunned with the growth and how beautiful it's all looking! Someone's putting some serious thought into the landscape design with the plantings, pots, and overall general look of the area! Does the lushness insulate you from the feeling of being in what used to feel like a median strip as you wander? I would think yes!

That's looking really good! The trick now is to get the surrounding area more vibrant outside of 9-5, Mon-Fri so people will use this space.

Back