Rose Kennedy Greenway

Who makes decisions concerning the surface artery roads? Could the city decide to reduce lanes or eliminate crossings or would they face a state veto?

Not that I'm saying that would actually happen.

The city of Boston is cheap with respect to city parks. That's why there are private civic groups who help maintain the important city parks, like the Public Garden and the Common. And the Fens.
https://www.emeraldnecklace.org/about-us/

I would not really consider the Greenway in comparison to the Public gardens and common.

The Greenway has a lot of potential but its basically a strip running through the city---some of the blocks have grass and other blocks that are cement with architectural models.

I don't believe the taxpayers in the area should accrue another tax to pay for more clean up around their areas. I have proven with the amount of tax incentives the city & state have allowed to be taken for the build up of the Seaport District/Downtown/Backbay maybe they should reconsider their overall policies.

The city of Boston is cheap with respect to city parks. That's why there are private civic groups who help maintain the important city parks, like the Public Garden and the Common. And the Fens.
https://www.emeraldnecklace.org/about-us/

The Greenway Conservancy raises plenty of money for maintenance from revenue and donations it gets directly. Way more than enough. At 17 acres that is far far more spent per acre than any other park in the city. Cutting state funding just means reducing spending to something sustainable as was intended all along.

At one point, it was pointed out in their budget that the actual landscaping maintenance was subcontracted out and was a six figure amount... now they have wisely obfuscated their budget quite a bit to lump in more conservancy personnel costs.

The actual costs of care and maintenance are way less than $1 million and they have had more than $2 million in non-state revenue in recent years so that still leaves quite a bit of money for programming and the ability to raise additional money for special events and activities.

Last edited:
28787714918_f5991ecb72_b.jpg

40852702450_f3eea9ae07_b.jpg

The old signs are cool, but I wish they would restore the rusty or faded parts before displaying them.

really great.

when they're done, rotate em around Faneuil Hall/ Haymarket Sq/ North End.

The Greenway is amazingly active.

I agree--- I believe the strip has the potential of being something very special for the city of Boston.

Not sure when Bee took those pics maybe late in the day or early morning--The park looked quiet.

At some point signmakers are going to realize that they can do amazing things with LEDs (aside from billboard-style signs) and I can't wait for the next 'neon age'.

Anyone notice how the Greenway intersections' pavers, etc. are beginning to need some serious TLC? Lots of broken pavers, small potholes, etc.

These signs look a lot less out of place than the interstate highway ramp signs.

Anyone notice how the Greenway intersections' pavers, etc. are beginning to need some serious TLC? Lots of broken pavers, small potholes, etc.

Yeah, I've noticed it as well. It makes me wonder how the Seaport is going to hold up.

The golden age of sign making, it doesn't get any better than the atomic googie era!

Back