Rose Kennedy Greenway

Seriously - when I was growing up and riding the Orange line, I was the only one of my friends that I knew that never actually got mugged on it at some point. Nowadays? Its totally fine, and much, much better than what it was 15-25+ years ago.

It's funny that the Orange Line is still the same after 15-25 Years later.

It felt a lot worse when I was nine years old and rode all over Boston on it, back in 1989. There were a lot more troubled folks around, on the streets after Reagan shut down mental hospitals.

JFK initiated the shutdown of State mental hospitals when he was President.

Seriously?
I ride the T every day, mostly Red and Green, sometimes Orange. Trying to remember the last time I was "hassled" by anyone (and it's not like I'm some big scary dude). Yes there are homeless people here and there, but that's life in the city, and for the most part they're not bothering anybody.
It felt a lot worse when I was nine years old and rode all over Boston on it, back in 1989.

Better in some ways than 1989, but still much worse than 1959. Like NYC, Boston has improved since the 1980s in some respects.

Seriously?It was a lot worse when I was nine years old and rode all over Boston on it, back in 1989. There were a lot more troubled folks around, on the streets after Reagan shut down mental hospitals.

Deinstitutionalization was the policy among mental health professionals long before Reagan became president.

Hey guys, before this goes any further, proper government policy re: mental healthcare for the nation's homeless population is a super complex topic that is probably best discussed elsewhere.

Conversations about the surface road reductions and adjacent topics are welcome to continue though!

New Greenway Commissioned Sculptures by Street Artist Aakash Nihalani

Screen-Shot-2017-12-14-at-4.24.22-PM.png

Oh man I love that guy. So funny, too, I was recently going through some old photos and found some work he did in NYC 10 years ago. Glad he's still around.

I'm terrified of what VE nightmare we might see on this site given the concessions that are being given away.

Every proposal has gotten worse since the Boston Arch idea.. and really, that was a cool proposal. Unique.

From Universal Hub:

Council approves way to have Greenway neighbors help pay for its upkeep
Wed, 04/25/2018 - 1:00pm

The Boston City Council today approved a proposal to create a "business improvement district," in which property owners along the Rose Kennedy Greenway could be levied fees to help support the linear park.

The district would be the city's second - Downtown Crossing has had one for several years, which pays for everything from lunchtime musical performances to "ambassadors" who rove the area.

The Greenway started with funding from the state, which has said it has had enough of helping to pay for the park created out of the demolition of the Central Artery.

City Councilor Michelle Wu (at large), said the measure would help preserve what has become "one of the gems of the city."

Does this mean the state will cede the land back to the City since they don't care to pay for its maintenance anymore?

Does this mean the state will cede the land back to the City since they don't care to pay for its maintenance anymore?

The land under the Greenway remains state property. If the state transferred the Greenway to the city, it would, in effect, be a ground lease. I can't see what value the city would see in that.

Why don't they ask Fallon, Vertex, GE, JPM, Liberty Mutual, Millennial Group to help fund the maintenance of the Greenway instead of asking existing businesses that already pay their taxes yearly?

Let me give tax incentives to my friends and call it Job Creation.
Let me create extra taxes to the groups that don't support us and call it BID creation.

This is double taxation for certain groups but not others in the city. Great way to suppress certain groups but not others.

City Councilor Michelle Wu (at large), said the measure would help preserve what has become "one of the gems of the city."

Harbor Garage looks like a gem alright. Hahahaha

The Greenway will never be a gem with Harbor Garage plopped in the middle of the park,-- blocking 1/2 the park from the waterfront with a concrete block.

Last edited:
Why don't they ask Fallon, Vertex, GE, JPM, Liberty Mutual, Millennial Group to help fund the maintenance of the Greenway instead of asking existing businesses that already pay their taxes yearly?

Let me give tax incentives to my friends and call it Job Creation.
Let me create extra taxes to the groups that don't support us and call it BID creation.

This is double taxation for certain groups but not others in the city. Great way to suppress certain groups but not others.

Yeah, I'm with Rifle on this one actually.

The land under the Greenway remains state property. If the state transferred the Greenway to the city, it would, in effect, be a ground lease. I can't see what value the city would see in that.

Simply that if the state doesn't want to fund/pay for the park (which, you know, they should just like other parks), then they should had it over to the city to maintain/safeguard it.

Simply that if the state doesn't want to fund/pay for the park (which, you know, they should just like other parks), then they should had it over to the city to maintain/safeguard it.

The city of Boston is cheap with respect to city parks. That's why there are private civic groups who help maintain the important city parks, like the Public Garden and the Common. And the Fens.
https://www.emeraldnecklace.org/about-us/

Back