Rose Kennedy Greenway

Need some new pics of the Greenway to start evaluating again.

I feel like the Greenway is evolving better than I could imagine. I'm glad the conservancy ran out of the money to build those projects on the parcels.

I would rather see Greenery & Trees, Flowers on the parcels.
Tuesday

162e6195.jpg
6c43b87f.jpg
84aa05c1.jpg
16934754.jpg
abbfe288.jpg
8b71d023.jpg
c429bdfe.jpg
c4ca8c13.jpg
257a24a9.jpg
1c792a15.jpg
1e82b1ff.jpg
e394739c.jpg
602d6742.jpg
1f6c491c.jpg
ca34ad4f.jpg
566a9778.jpg
01b0b9a8.jpg
78017153.jpg
31cc89ed.jpg
d5c74130.jpg
85afccb8.jpg
bd4593b0.jpg
e40a4c75.jpg
87b02300.jpg
26ad5977.jpg
4c6199d4.jpg
873e6940.jpg
3ef78c57.jpg
d429fc11.jpg
3f8d426c.jpg
ee8ab4a3.jpg
cff9be10.jpg
820d9439.jpg

Last photo looks like a Muslim in pajamas. I hope it wears away quickly.

Slight to complete discrimination? I think so...

^Go P.C. all day, but look at the pic. Looks like a hijab and Zubaz. What's it supposed to be? (NOTE: I'm not baiting. I know nothing about the inspiration/motivation for the mural).

It's kind of hard to disagree with Meadowhawk. The mural definitely invites itself to criticism by Bostonians; however, I don't hope it wears away quickly. It's a helluvah lot more interesting than the bland wall that was there before.

This will be the next new big thing at the Herald.

Why can't we think "Who's under the mask/what does s/he represent?" instead of thinking "It's a Muslim!"???

I am in love with that mural.... they used the shape of the building in determining the subject matter. That's wicked cool.

It looks like a kid squeezing into a box. I like it. It's different, its bright and its big. It will make people stop, look, and comment. so mission accomplished.

It would be cool if muralists from around the world were looking at the shape of this surface and thinking "if I had my hands on that, I'd do X." And then a rolling competition would let different artists do their thing on a rotating basis. The simple geometry of the surface would, itself, become an interesting and distinctive Boston feature that would make a statement about artistic interpretations of public space.

"Os Gemeos" ("The Twins") are from Sao Paulo, Brazil and their murals and street art (all over the world) depict all sorts of things from scenes of the urban grit of the streets they grew up on to political/social commentary.

Notice the sleeve hanging down from the item that is wrapping the face, suggesting the face is being wrapped with some sort of article of clothing, something you'd likely see on the streets. It's also a recurring theme:

Lisbon, Portugal:
800px-Os_G%C3%AAmeos.jpg

Thanks for the details, data. That's really cool. I actually really love the murals.

I'm just glad the kid is not holding on to a Chick-fil-A sandwich! :) Sorry for my outburst the other day at Whighlander...I was totally off the wall on that one!

This is the best thing on the Greenway so far. I love the way it fits the shape of the building. Finally, something that doesn't look like it was designed by a suburban landscaping company for a low-rank country club.

Why can't we think "Who's under the mask/what does s/he represent?"

Because while being more interesting than a blank wall and probably a welcome addition, this painting is at the level of a hastily done children's-book illustration.

It's basically the same thing Os Gemeos seems to paint everywhere. And given the fairly banal interviews they tend to give, I don't expect them to be revealing DaVinci-like thoughts behind a modern-day Mona Lisa.

It really isn't good or interesting enough to invite much further thought or textual analysis. This is pop, not T.S. Eliot.

Back