Rose Kennedy Greenway

Marbled steaks, marble lobby: The Palm's spend on One International tops $4.5M

Business Journal photo by Galen Moore

The Palm Restaurant will face the Rose Kennedy Greenway at 1 International Place in Boston's Financial District. Owners have spent more than $4.5 million on the renovation, ahead of a planned May 15 opening.

When The Palm restaurant re-opens in Boston, May 15, the owners will have spent over $4.5 million to renovate the new, 8,300-square-foot Financial District space. Other owners have budgeted far less to build a free-standing restaurant.
When complete, the Palm will accommodate 320 diners in the lobby of the 1 International Place office tower, including a 40-seat mezzanine and 75 seats on a glass-enclosed patio facing the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Per person, dinner will cost near $90.

In addition to the patio, the work – still very much in progress – includes building out a complete kitchen, as well as covering some of the existing walls and columns. A wall bearing a large mural of Boston editorial cartoons and political caricatures had to be hung carefully to preserve the marble behind it. Columbia Construction is handling the job.

Chiofaro Co. director Donald Chiofaro Jr. has said the property owner is looking to do another restaurant project next door, in the lobby at 2 International Place.
Related: Here's why the Financial District is Boston's next dining hot spot.
The menu will be similar to the fare at the Palm's 28 other locations, but, "We're going to do our best to keep it New England style," said executive chef Karen Mitchell, whom the Palm poached from Legal Sea Foods' Copley restaurant. For example, the smallest lobsters served at the Boston Palm will weigh three pounds, she said.

L'Espalier owner Frank McClelland last week said the proliferation of new, large, chain restaurants in the Seaport has hurt business for the flourishing scene of chef-owned establishments in Boston. There's an especially large number of chain steakhouses, but Palm general manager Brian Brosnihan said he isn't worried.

Brosnihan said the Palm's management knows the Financial District location is going to do a "killer lunch" (including a $26 prix fixe) and attract a "great bar crowd." He said the Palm will woo concierges in downtown hotels and luxury apartment buildings it will draw in diners for dinner, too.
"I think there's enough business for everyone," he said. "Everyone's serving a great steak. To me it's more the personal part of it."

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/b...04/the-palm-international-place.html?page=all

Sorry gang I still can't figure out how to post pics. The Palm sign is very cool on IP.

For example, the smallest lobsters served at the Boston Palm will weigh three pounds, she said.
Well that's kind of obnoxious.

Rifle is right. The sign is pretty cool - especially at night when it's lit up. I tried to take a picture while driving but, sadly, I don't have the skills of 02124 and it came out blurry.

The sign looks nice and if you look in between the walls outside you can see the patio they're working on. It'll be a very nice addition to the area, if only I could afford it.

In addition to our 1000ft long photographic installation displayed in Brooklyn Bridge Park in NYC, we are partnering with Boston’s Flash Forward Festival, to produce a special curated version of THE FENCE, displayed along the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston – offering even more opportunities for visibility for all participating photographers.

http://fence.photovillenyc.org/about-the-contest/

Noticed this from the Custom House today; does anybody know what the construction site is?

Last edited:

Thank you!!

Everyone: the most recent PDF is worth a look! The animal sculptures/seats are nothing short of STUNNING. The public process was also incredible. Look at those great drawings and even models from the BPS!

332mhhg.png

The rental carousel attracted a ridiculous amount of people. This might be one of the best things to ever happen to the Greenway and the Harborfront in general!

That area of the Greenway is right in between Christopher Columbus Park and the entrance to Faneuil Hall and has the Boston Harbor Islands thing, which I think works really nicely as a park-type place. It connects the Harbor Front to Faneuil Hall really well.

Not all of the Greenway parcels should have buildings. Dewey Square and this area are fine as they are now. Most of the other parcels should be buildings though.

I saw a chronicle on the local guy that makes these. They are pretty incredible handmade and designed local pieces. I was always a little surprised at the success of the dumpy temporary one, so I expect this to look actually really nice and do extremely well.

Use should definitely stay as is. This is the one stretch of Greenway that's an unequivocal success. My only issue with it is the price tag. The new carousel is a definite upgrade over the rental, but is it a million dollar upgrade? Yeah.... no.

Back