Roslindale Infill and Small Developments

Approved

2149a02f-b14a-4f30-b082-8a9f03d2cf6f

59-63 Belgrade Avenue project to bring 31 residential units, 6 income-restricted to Roslindale
https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/59-63-belgrade-avenue

After failing to build a charter school, the owner of 361 Belgrade Ave. is back with a fairly good sized apartment proposal. It would include 124 units and 86 parking spaces in a five story building more than 2.5 times larger than the proposed school would have been. Since the NIMBY push back on the school was claimed to be about traffic and specifically cited housing as a better use, I'll be interested to see how they respond to this new proposal. But since it won't bring a bunch of teenagers from the "wrong neighborhoods," maybe they'll be fine with the idea.

Need a philanthropist to buy this, make it all aff housing, use the new zoning to make it 0 parking, and rent it to charter school parents.

After failing to build a charter school, the owner of 361 Belgrade Ave. is back with a fairly good sized apartment proposal. It would include 124 units and 86 parking spaces in a five story building more than 2.5 times larger than the proposed school would have been. Since the NIMBY push back on the school was claimed to be about traffic and specifically cited housing as a better use, I'll be interested to see how they respond to this new proposal. But since it won't bring a bunch of teenagers from the "wrong neighborhoods," maybe they'll be fine with the idea.

I did know that it was a charter school. I have to go with the NIMBYs on this. Granted for different reasons but charter schools are a scam and do more harm than good to kids and teachers. Not trying to derail the conversation. Just my $0.02.

I think it’s pretty incredible what a difference the street trees make for the stretch of Wash between South and Archdale. It would be a different street without them, and I really wish Wu could/would make a major investment in planting street trees. The absence of them, especially on a day like this, makes vast areas across the city even more sweltering.

I did know that it was a charter school. I have to go with the NIMBYs on this. Granted for different reasons but charter schools are a scam and do more harm than good to kids and teachers. Not trying to derail the conversation. Just my $0.02.
I'm definitely not a fan of charter schools, and vote accordingly. But this was a school that already existed, trying to get more appropriate space for their students. I felt the effort was worthwhile, despite my philosophical differences over the charter concept. I can certainly understand opposing it on that basis, though. But the actual manner in which the opposition organized and the level of dog whistling was quite stomach turning.

It also doesn't matter whether you oppose or favor charters; by state law they had a right to expand and using land use to stop that is part and parcel of the road to today's reckless nimbyism where you can't do anything without the consent of dozens of nearby busibodies.

This isnt really a development post but I feel like the Rozzie thread is a local one, so commenting that the BoA being closed makes me wonder what might become of that lot, because it's a huge lot and includes a large parking lot that connects to Washington.

Bring it on. Is Belgrade on the verge of sneakily becoming a major retail corridor (major by outer-neighborhoods, that is)? All of a sudden, there are a lot of mid-size projects being completed and planned between Rozzie Square and Bellevue. Much of the ground-floor retail is still vacant, but there are going to be a lot more people living on this street in 10 years.

Reactions: FK4
Bring it on. Is Belgrade on the verge of sneakily becoming a major retail corridor (major by outer-neighborhoods, that is)? All of a sudden, there are a lot of mid-size projects being completed and planned between Rozzie Square and Bellevue. Much of the ground-floor retail is still vacant, but there are going to be a lot more people living on this street in 10 years.

Yeah maybe. Pretty familiar with the area for a long time, and it's always been a brutal corridor for retail. Not sure if there is enough development to change that and draw people from centre st on one end and Rozzie Square on the other, both of which are "main street districts" giving access to things like the neighborhood liquor licenses.

I love the idea of Belgrade Ave. becoming a shopping street, but I think some big things working against it are the train tracks and Fallon Field. Essentially half the walking catchment is cut-off. As for the section that does have access, most of the streets are oriented so that once you reach Belgrade Ave., you aren't very far from the Square. Can definitely be a great, high density residential street, one that has some retail, just maybe not the kind that fills the ground floor of every building.

While this is near the NEC, the tracks right by the two lots are the Needham Line after it branches. This is a great spot for this type of project. Mixed unit sizes, 230 total units, walking distance to both Forest Hills and Roslindale Square, and soon to be direct access to the Arboretum via the re-opened Arboretum Road underpass. Build it!

Apartments to replace closed restaurant on Hyde Park Avenue in Roslindale
1666812709901.jpeg

The Zoning Board of Appeal yesterday approved plans to replace the shuttered 100% Delicias restaurant at Hyde Park Avenue and Canterbury Street in Roslindale with a four-story, 27-unit apartment building and a small ground-floor retail space.

Developer Antonio Ferrara's plans call for 5 units to be rented as affordable, rented to people making no more than 70% of the Boston area median income.

His proposal also calls for 14 parking spaces on the lot, which also includes a condemned house that will be torn down, and a roof deck.

https://www.universalhub.com/2022/apartments-replace-closed-restaurant-hyde-park

You know, I drive by that way all the time and never realized that restaurant was closed. This plus the project at the used car dealer across the street will have a big impact.

That said, I'm rather against this on principle given the shenanigans played with the "condemned" house lot, and I firmly believe the developer should not be rewarded for the games played there.

Back