Roxbury Infill and Small Developments

Suffolk 83

Reaction score
This seems like a sub-optimal system:

I get it though- they want buildings with room for families. 1 and 2 bedrooms all over the place just gentrification go into overdrive

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
I get it though- they want buildings with room for families. 1 and 2 bedrooms all over the place just gentrification go into overdrive
Research shows that the demand is for smaller units, 3 and 4 bed units are almost exclusively split between roommates, roommates who would usually much rather live in 1 bed units if more existed. That was the entire argument for the compact living policy and drastically increasing the supply of studios to clear out space in the higher bed units

#bancars

Reaction score
Research shows that the demand is for smaller units, 3 and 4 bed units are almost exclusively split between roommates, roommates who would usually much rather live in 1 bed units if more existed. That was the entire argument for the compact living policy and drastically increasing the supply of studios to clear out space in the higher bed units
Yup. In Allston-Brighton, huge numbers of 2-4 bedroom units, which would be ideal for families, are split up by students or young professionals who can outbid them. Most would prefer to live in studios or 1 BRs by themselves (hell I wish I could have afforded a studio when I was a grad student in Allston), but there is nowhere near enough supply to accommodate demand, so they remain expensive and out of reach for most. That's why we need way more new studios and 1BRs.

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score
IMG_5117 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5119 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5121 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5122 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5135 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5136 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5138 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5141 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5142 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr