Roxbury Infill and Small Developments

Sorry but you are one block north of the project in the phot I posted.

1627425111846.png

This seems like a sub-optimal system:

I get it though- they want buildings with room for families. 1 and 2 bedrooms all over the place just gentrification go into overdrive

I get it though- they want buildings with room for families. 1 and 2 bedrooms all over the place just gentrification go into overdrive
Research shows that the demand is for smaller units, 3 and 4 bed units are almost exclusively split between roommates, roommates who would usually much rather live in 1 bed units if more existed. That was the entire argument for the compact living policy and drastically increasing the supply of studios to clear out space in the higher bed units

Research shows that the demand is for smaller units, 3 and 4 bed units are almost exclusively split between roommates, roommates who would usually much rather live in 1 bed units if more existed. That was the entire argument for the compact living policy and drastically increasing the supply of studios to clear out space in the higher bed units

Yup. In Allston-Brighton, huge numbers of 2-4 bedroom units, which would be ideal for families, are split up by students or young professionals who can outbid them. Most would prefer to live in studios or 1 BRs by themselves (hell I wish I could have afforded a studio when I was a grad student in Allston), but there is nowhere near enough supply to accommodate demand, so they remain expensive and out of reach for most. That's why we need way more new studios and 1BRs.

IMG_5117 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5119 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5121 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5122 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5135 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5136 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5138 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5141 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5142 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5144 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5145 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5154 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5155 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5156 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5157 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5161 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

The next generation of green buildings
A7NJQ3VDIVA55DPPN7YEX5GB24.jpg

The development at 226-232 Highland St. in Roxbury features four three-bedroom units in a rowhouse configuration. The developer was Urbanica Inc. Regenerative features include rainwater harvesting, heat pump mini-splits for heating and cooling, and a solar thermal panel with an 80-gallon tank for hot water. PHOTOS BY SAM OBERTER © 2013
https://news.google.com/articles/CB...b3V0cHV0VHlwZT1hbXA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

I didnt know where to put this but in a fight where nimbys sued the dev over parking requirements to try to stop housing for homeless being built near them the city has now changed the parking requirement for buildings with at least 60% affordable units.

BCKSE3AZQJHLTIPJMS7H4W4U4M.jpg

“Two recent cases of just such obvious Not-In-My-Back-Yardism spurred the Boston City Council last week to stamp its collective feet and say: no more. The council voted unanimously for a change to the city zoning code that would end minimum parking requirements for projects where at least 60 percent of the units are deemed affordable. The move could render moot any efforts to use those parking minimums as the basis for a lawsuit.”
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/24/opinion/parking-wars-another-battle-won/?outputType=amp

The prefab core and mass timber construction could be a major breakthrough as far as bringing down costs of construction. Hopefully this building is a success, the construction industry has been slow to accept change and technology and every building is essentially a one off build. If buildings can become much more standardized it should help a lot with costs.

Back