Rules for Riding the T

Yes. There are some strollers that are like the Chevy Suburban equivalent. Do you really need two cup holders, a place to store your bag, and a place to store your other bag???

This is my number one pet peeve about the T. I understand car-less families need to get around, but don't give people grief when people give you dirty looks when you're blocking the door way or aisle with your stroller.

Much like bikers (before bike racks) and people with large luggage, you need to understand that the world does not revolve around you, and you're trying to mash a large item into a crowd of people. Understand that you may NOT get on the train or bus and may have to wait for the next one.

It also burns me up when people will strollers... either have the entire thing filled with crap (and the child is in tow), they block the entire walkway so no one can be by, OR their child can walk (and is so large they don't fit in the stroller anymore) and they are being pushed.

Every time I see someone come up with a stroller, I cringe. I ride the 111 alot and deal with this crap almost on a daily basis...

This is like Christmas, I think this discussion was on Universal Hub about a year ago! However, there were some moms posting too which made it far, far more fun. Can one of the trolls have a kid and stroller, please?

Anyway, I hate SUV strollers. I'm still in shock from one of my last experiences on the 66 before I started riding my bike, when a mother with her gigantic stroller filled with crap and child in tow blocked the rear door so it couldn't even open up. And the bus was PACKED. At every single stop (and we made every single stop because it was late as well) the driver tried to open the rear door, which hit her, and engaged in a shouting match between the driver and the mother. She would then proceed to yell at passengers between stops to not "look at her kid". I eventually got off, which took About 5 minutes to get to the front. Why are people like this not arrested?

Can one of the trolls have a kid and stroller, please?
I have a kid and stroller. Difference is my wife and I are smart enough not to take the T during rush hour and when we do take the T we use a compact stroller. Sorry, I wish I could be more trolly than that...

My kids are past stroller age, but generally speaking we always used a combination of compact strollers, backpacks, and making them walk. All of that was far easier than trying to navigate a monster stroller through a crowd.

I have a kid and stroller. Difference is my wife and I are smart enough not to take the T during rush hour and when we do take the T we use a compact stroller. Sorry, I wish I could be more trolly than that...

That's because you and your wife have common sense.

I am not saying people who have strollers do not have the right to ride the T. My point is to be smarter about when you decide to hop on. I continue to be amazed at parents on the Red Line during rush hour that have their massive strollers that get on the train.

Once saw a Green line driver refuse to board a double-wide (with a single kid and the other side full of bags) at rush hour on a game day. The entire packed car cheered.

Hey! That new 15" MacBook Pro is pretty svelte and sleek!

But on a packed Orange Line car?

Still fucking huge!

^ Dudes are seriously whipping out 15" laptops on the subway? Come on!

Saw it last night. Dude was just tapping away like he was sitting in a Starbucks.

^ Dudes are seriously whipping out 15" laptops on the subway? Come on!

Yup I saw some guy on the Orange Line earlier tapping away on his keyboard. This I don't get.. phones I get but whipping out your laptop on the subway, I don't. Not only for the theft reason but is what you're working on really that important that you can't separate yourself for the 10-20 minutes that you're on the train? I mean, come on... I know time is money for some people but sheesh, take a break.

No. These are suburbanites on a quaint little day trip in town with their precious, special child.
From my observations from riding buses through Revere, Chelsea, etc they're definitely not suburbanites. More like the AFDC/Section 8 recipient types.

Not only for the theft reason but is what you're working on really that important that you can't separate yourself for the 10-20 minutes that you're on the train? I mean, come on... I know time is money for some people but sheesh, take a break.

Anyone who is actually that important wouldn't be on the T to begin with. ;)

Some people are just really dumb.

Yup I saw some guy on the Orange Line earlier tapping away on his keyboard. This I don't get.. phones I get but whipping out your laptop on the subway, I don't. Not only for the theft reason but is what you're working on really that important that you can't separate yourself for the 10-20 minutes that you're on the train? I mean, come on... I know time is money for some people but sheesh, take a break.

Yeah, it's crazy or perhaps some sort of cry for attention. People need to know how to unplug and accept that is sometimes the better choice. Even on commuter rail, a laptop is questionable during crush loads. On the subway, at any time, it's just wrong.

And Omaja -- I'm that important, and still ride the 'T. But I'm not psychotic. ;-)

I've done essays and even some CAD work on the T before, but only in the broad daylight on the E. When you have to work 30 hours a week on top of being a full time architecture student you have to do work whenever, wherever. I've even done renderings on my breaks at work.

Last edited:
From my observations from riding buses through Revere, Chelsea, etc they're definitely not suburbanites. More like the AFDC/Section 8 recipient types.

With a MASSIVE urban assault stroller? I've seen people from all walks of life using foldable strollers, but only the suburbanites seem to be using the BIG HONKIN' BUS of a stroller.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of parents who take large strollers onto the T during rush hour. I always am amused at their frustration as they try to get onto a packed train.

There's this lady that used to get on the newer bus during the morning rush hour and she brings with her an fairly wide stroller that she often would park it literally right behind where the driver sit (where the bottleneck forms in between the two front wheel wells of hte bus) and literally passengers struggle to get by her. Best part is that she clearly pretends to ignores it.

I wish she would just invest in a smaller stroller. I won't put all the blame on her because at times there are people sitting on those seats that could be folded up so she wouldn't be able to park there but at least get a smaller stroller so people can pass you.

Here is an idea. How about you if don't eat your hard-boiled eggs on the train in the morning?

Just thinking out loud here.

Last year New York had a campaign of politeness signage all over every train, including "rules" that you shouldn't blast music - even if wearing headphones. The cacophony of mobile devices is just horrible (worse on certain lines at certain times). And yes, people doing all sorts of other inconsiderate shit. We are way too libertarian a society, unfortunately, to do what we should, which is to have staff on trains regulating bad behavior.

Last year New York had a campaign of politeness signage all over every train, including "rules" that you shouldn't blast music - even if wearing headphones. The cacophony of mobile devices is just horrible (worse on certain lines at certain times). And yes, people doing all sorts of other inconsiderate shit. We are way too libertarian a society, unfortunately, to do what we should, which is to have staff on trains regulating bad behavior.

Meh - I think that T riders tend to be pretty considerate. I get way more annoyed by the conduct of my fellow travelers whenever I drive than I do when I'm on the train.

Back