SBWTC /South Boston Waterfront Transportation Center | Seaport

That façade is so painfully half-assed. It looks incoherent and unfinished.

I can't look at that facade and not be reminded of the 80s...
GlamorousBreakableDuckling-size_restricted.gif

It'll keep the rain off. I think there are more important places to expend design energy.

I just don't see it as that bad. I don't see how anyone would focus on the walkway as the design failure when the hulking parking garage is right there.

Thanks, Steve! Enjoyed your travel-log around the Seaport!!

I still don't understand why the D st. side wasn't built out to the street, but left a huge gap?

Beautiful photos of an absolute piece of shit. Thanks for the tour, Steve.

Great photos

43659650650_e50b316e28_h.jpg

This push button does not look ADA compliant

https://archpaper.com/2018/10/arrowstreet-west-garage-logan-airport-facade/#gallery-0-slide-0

Massport certainly has proved their capable of building some very functional and eye-pleasing structures, including my favorite parking parking garage in the city, the new newest parking garage at Logan. Wish they had achieved the same design success with the SBWTC. I might be mistaken but I believe Data was involved in this project. Data, correct me if I'm mistaken.

I finally found this thread and I appreciate all the interior photos! The bike infrastructure is such a gimme, but I hope it gets put to good use by whatever seasoned bike commuters who don't already use Bluebikes end up parking here and not in their own building's garages.

I'll only be happy with this garage if they also take down the Terminal B garage as part of their airport redevelopment plan. I worry they've overestimated the market of people who will drive far enough into the city to park here and then transfer to the Silver Line to the Airport. The pricing incentive will need to be extremely competitive as compared to their on-site garages. This is the only way I see this working as intended.

They could've done more with the capital they sunk here into something that actually improves the experience of getting to the airport, like pre-boarding baggage check at the LIRR/AirTrain Jamaica station in Queens, NY. If their concern is shrinking revenue from parking - a trend happening at many airports with the rise of price-competitive app-based taxis - this should have been diversification of their revenue sources, like what PANYNJ has done with the World Trade Center.

Much worse yes

20180825_200216 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

Sheesh. You guys are Tough. i think this looks awesome compared to the garbage of even the very recent past. BTW, reclad 1/2 the GD garages in the city in this way.

http://flavorwire.com/118378/the-worlds-10-most-beautiful-parking-garages/2

I've seen examples of some pretty good stuff in Germany and elsewhere in Europe that looks far better, but as far as i know, the City ain't pushing those levels of sophistication. Perhaps they should.

Back