SBWTC /South Boston Waterfront Transportation Center | Seaport

Trust me this could have been wayyyyy worse. If they had done slanted floors it would have looked like assssss. As it is now it at least has symmetry to it. If it was one of those slanted floor garages like in assembly this would have been sooooo bad. So be thankful for that at least. Plus its going to be mostly hidden in like 2 years and basically never seen again.

If they had If it was one of those slanted floor garages like in assembly this would have been sooooo bad.

Which begs the question, why are some garages built with a slanted floor while others, like this one, are build straight across? I get the garages at Logan, they have circular entrances/exits from each floor but in this case, I don't see that. Or, does that have nothing to do with it, it's more a money factor and number of spaces that can be built using one design over another?

Which begs the question, why are some garages built with a slanted floor while others, like this one, are build straight across? I get the garages at Logan, they have circular entrances/exits from each floor but in this case, I don't see that. Or, does that have nothing to do with it, it's more a money factor and number of spaces that can be built using one design over another?

Goal is to maximize parking. Site shapes, sizes, structural systems, etc all vary. Internal ramps can cut down on the usable floor area, so developers opt to slope the entire deck itself and kill two birds with one stone: vertical circulation without losing parking.

Drum ramps aren't really built anymore. They are a futuristic vision that didn't work out the way they were intended to. Go Quincy Adams or Alewife during evening peak to find out why.

parkdiagram.jpg

I dont see which one in those diagrams is the drum ramp one

I dont see which one in those diagrams is the drum ramp one

Bottom examples, but namely the bottom right: "Concentric opposed plane helical ramps" often called a double helix ramp - this is what Alewife & Quincy Adams are.

Thanks, Data for the info, I believe you had worked on the new garage at Logan, the blue sided/funky grey wind driven covered siding one which is my favorite, next to the hotel. So, the SBWTC garage uses the flat-floor straight, one way design?

Bottom examples, but namely the bottom right: "Concentric opposed plane helical ramps" often called a double helix ramp - this is what Alewife & Quincy Adams are.

Why doesnt it work?

I think most garages suffer for peak hour congestion because you have X floors all leading to a single exit point

I for one much prefer the double helix style. Quincy adams is my t stop of choice. And when I park at Logan central parking I go for the ones with the helix ramps (A & E?). B & C I avoid due to their central ramps and never knowing which way to turn to go up or down. I prefer parking on roofs, and the drums ramps are the quickest way up there and back down. I don't think they make rush hour better or worse. Internal ramps with folks entering from both sides and being typical massholes make them as bad.

For doing their job of getting you up and down, nothing beats drum ramps.

Only useful in above grade garages of course. Too wasteful to bury.

I will say, working on slanted floor garages in Revit is a new bane to my existence. Can I make plan regaions that follow the slope? Cripes!

Is it possible that I am just getting used to it, or is this actually turning out to be somewhat palpable as far as parking garages go? My hatred for this development has been well documented. But recently my hatred has been.. less so. Perhaps it is because there are at least efforts to make this more than a grey concrete box.

I feel similarly; a garage is only going to get so good. I'd rather we not be building them at all but if you're going to...you could do much worse.

Am I the only one who doesn't "hate" this, knowing that the transportation here is subpar and many people will drive here regardless so it had to be done, also it will mostly be gone from view in a couple years and also adds a (albeit sketchy-ish at night) pedestrian crossing? Its also just a couple turns off the pike with the waterside place 1B entrance so its like a very close to downtown way to park in a garage (alewife) and take transit to downtown or walk if you want to somewhere in the seaport option as well if your from out of town. I dont hate it.

For parking garages, I like it. Despite the complaints that a lot of people have in this board, this is needed. The seaport used to all be parking, with it being developed, there still needs to be a garage or two to help the congestion. I'd love it if everyone took mass transit, but that's just not realistic.

As a reminder. No parking has been lost in the Seaport. All those surface spots still exist in below grade garages. Not sure the net gain, but there is not net loss.

Feels like this thing flew up and now it's gone to a snail's pace.

Feels like this thing flew up and now it's gone to a snail's pace.

Feels like the contractor got busy on another project, and cannot be bothered to come back and finish installing the louvers.

Back