Seaport Memorial Park | Parcel F @ Seaport Square | Seaport

It has potential. Throw in some picnic tables for the office workers.

Or at least mirror the program in PO Square where they roll out carts of cushions at lunch.

ls.jpg

173583618_f58cefbd24_b.jpg

But --- what's up with backless benches? They're not comfortable. They just replaced dozens of benches at the Public Garden with backless benches - totally sucks if you're some old person - or anyone, really - who wants to just lean back and look at the pond.

The only reason I can think of is that it gives the person who's sitting on the bench the option of facing two ways, front or back, instead of being forced to face only one way if it were a regular bench with a back to it. However, I'm all about being able to recline a bit so not a fan of these types of benches.

It has plenty of potential, just needs more items and trees, etc...

But --- what's up with backless benches? They're not comfortable. They just replaced dozens of benches at the Public Garden with backless benches - totally sucks if you're some old person - or anyone, really - who wants to just lean back and look at the pond.

Some people claim the move to backless benches is to prevent people from sitting there all day. Make them uncomfortable and people will only use them briefly.

Some people claim the move to backless benches is to prevent people from sitting there all day. Make them uncomfortable and people will only use them briefly.

...and the ways of societal repression and behavioral control grow ever more ingenious and subtle...

Probably true. If the only notice were to prevent them being used as beds, simply erecting those uncomfortable little dividers along the seats would suffice. I oppose all of it.

...and the ways of societal repression and behavioral control grow ever more ingenious and subtle...

Probably true. If the only notice were to prevent them being used as beds, simply erecting those uncomfortable little dividers along the seats would suffice. I oppose all of it.

FK -- no benches here

173583618_f58cefbd24_b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

no problems

No problems? Most everyone sitting on the grass in this pic is under 35. The rest are looking for a bench! ;)

No problems? Most everyone sitting on the grass in this pic is under 35. The rest are looking for a bench! ;)

Atlantaden -- in the foreground of the image, where people are reasonably resolved, I see at least 5 bald heads or heads with grey hair both typically associated with middle aged or older males

and they are sitting on the grass or standing -- no benches involved

Atlantaden -- in the foreground of the image, where people are reasonably resolved, I see at least 5 bald heads or heads with grey hair both typically associated with middle aged or older males

and they are sitting on the grass or standing -- no benches involved

Yes, you are completely correct that nobody who is old or otherwise physically rusty or impaired, or even just tired, would ever want or need to sit on a bench - even with a back, but that might be reaching levels of fantasy in your eyes, it would seem - instead of the ground. Why don't you invite the oldest member of your family to go sit on the grass next time you see them for lunch?

And the fact that we have found ingenious and subtle ways to prevent people sleeping on benches is eerie and cold. It looks good to all the bozos who dont think about anything, yet it is impressively effective at doing what it does.

Last edited:

Over 35? Just provide them some music and they'll forget they need a bench.

See: Tanglewood lawn

tanglefoot.jpg

This is so silly. There are TONS of benches under the arbor in Post Office Square as well as along all pathways.

Over 35? Just provide them some music and they'll forget they need a bench.

See: Tanglewood lawn

Absolutely correct, and most of them (as your pic clearly shows) bring their own benches, AKA beach chairs, along with food and drink, mostly of the alcohol variety! Cheer! ;)

it's looking a little like a rip off of the 9/11 memorial park in nyc.

It is at the end of the day a memorial to the service men and women who died as a result of sept 11 so it is fitting.

Last night, the BRA approved the appropriation of $200,000 for the memorial from the mitigation monies that Atlantic/Russia Wharf paid to the BRA affordable housing/parks fund.

41. Request authorization to disburse $200,000 by way of a Grant Agreement to the Massachusetts Fallen Heroes for the hard cost associated with the permanent memorial in Parcel F at Seaport Square in South Boston, with funding from the Russia Wharf mitigation.

Back