Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

The city really needs to address the double parking/Uber issue on Seaport Blvd. You can't go more than 200 feet in the right lane during rush hour without being completely blocked by a car pulled over. Its essentially a one lane dragway with cars swerving left and right. Complete mess right now.

Seems like a half assed attempt at a protected bike lane.

The wide median should've been a protected bike lane. The fact that didn't happen is one of the most annoying aspects of the whole neighborhood.

The city really needs to address the double parking/Uber issue on Seaport Blvd. You can't go more than 200 feet in the right lane during rush hour without being completely blocked by a car pulled over. Its essentially a one lane dragway with cars swerving left and right. Complete mess right now.

I would support getting rid of much more of the current street parking spots for no parking/no stopping 5min drop-off areas only. If people want to park, they are welcome to in one of many many public garages there. They can start with the hot spots where a lot of drop offs already happen (e.g., Grand/Scorpion Bar, PwC).

It may not be time for it yet, but I think in the future the Seaport will be greatly enhanced by protective landscape architecture extending into the water. We can retain some of the navigability and boating/shipping function of the coast but imagine a green sponge of parkland ringing the district. Not only would it be highly performative, soaking some of the fury of tidal events (we've already seen those happen recently), they'd soften its starkness now and introduce an entire ecosystem to this part of the city in this century much the same way the Emerald Necklace did in the nineteenth. It's a no-brainer: the more absorption we can add where the city meets the sea, the less robust and extensive hard flood barriers will have to be.

It may not be time for it yet, but I think in the future the Seaport will be greatly enhanced by protective landscape architecture extending into the water. We can retain some of the navigability and boating/shipping function of the coast but imagine a green sponge of parkland ringing the district. Not only would it be highly performative, soaking some of the fury of tidal events (we've already seen those happen recently), they'd soften its starkness now and introduce an entire ecosystem to this part of the city in this century much the same way the Emerald Necklace did in the nineteenth. It's a no-brainer: the more absorption we can add where the city meets the sea, the less robust and extensive hard flood barriers will have to be.

Nature had that figured out when it created salt marshes eons ago. Unfortunately, it took humans another 300 years to figure out their utility.

This would improve the area tremendously.

Its just a landscraper residential you'll see these everywhere. The cruise ship in Brighton is very weird though and especially for an office tower.

Just fill in and landscape about two hundred feet of ocean in the areas between the piers right along Seaport Blvd and Northern Ave with some resilient landscaping as you suggest to provide more natural like buffer, providing habitat, slowing down flooding and providing some some park space. Those piers are plenty long for boats enough even if you take a couple hundred feet of water at their base for flood mitigating open space. Same with Fort Point and the Reserve Channel.

Just fill in and landscape about two hundred feet of ocean in the areas between the piers right along Seaport Blvd and Northern Ave with some resilient landscaping as you suggest to provide more natural like buffer, providing habitat, slowing down flooding and providing some some park space. Those piers are plenty long for boats enough even if you take a couple hundred feet of water at their base for flood mitigating open space. Same with Fort Point and the Reserve Channel.

"just fill in the ocean" Boy wait until CLF get a hold of this, you can't even build a public harbor-walk over the water sheet without getting sued for millions!!

Not sure if this has been covered, but all of the work being done in front of District Hall is for a new MBTA Silver Line head house for Courthouse Station.

Interesting I was wondering about that. Is the head house in front of the VIA going to close or is this just a 3rd?

"just fill in the ocean" Boy wait until CLF get a hold of this, you can't even build a public harbor-walk over the water sheet without getting sued for millions!!

We'd be giving them more green to conserve! It's not really polluting, I'm not saying fill it in and build a new runway on it. Anyway we'll all be singing a different tune when the eye-watering RFQs come in for a seawall.

We'd be giving them more green to conserve! It's not really polluting, I'm not saying fill it in and build a new runway on it. Anyway we'll all be singing a different tune when the eye-watering RFQs come in for a seawall.

The soft barrier (artificial estuary) approach would work (technically, not talking politically), if we were only looking at the current situation of occasional storm surge flooding.

But is you look at the long-term threat maps, we are not just looking at storm surge, we are also looking at large parts of the city effectively being below sea level for significant periods of time (huge threat to areas like Back Bay and the South End). We are headed for the Dutch problem. And the solution that works is heavy sea wall and pumping systems. A slow permeation barrier only exacerbates the issue by trapping the water inside.

Interesting I was wondering about that. Is the head house in front of the VIA going to close or is this just a 3rd?

Finally an exit from the stair to nowhere in Courthouse station?

I hope it’s a replacement. The head houses are hideous eyesores and the one by Seaport Sq takes up so much of the sidewalk space.

edit: found the thread and moved.

^Checking those out and then switching to maps on my macbook so I could go into 3d I noticed they updated it finally and MT, the Pierce, the Seaport, Merano, NST, are all added in to the skyline now and can be viewed in 3d. Not long ago the skyline was like 5 years old but they finally updated it so you can see all the new developments from a birds eye view now. They even have the partially built 1 Congress. Its about time they did this.

Anyways 383 Congress I could see getting a tower because it has that lot off to the side of it, something will have to be built there, but the other one idk.

Back