Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

but "Innovation District" certainly helped get this neighborhood moving

Did it? I always thought the moniker was narcissistic vanity appellation by Menino; development happened because of the climate, not the name.

Good render showing the u/c projects completed, besides having the alternate tower at A2. Going to be interesting to see what becomes of the parcels that are left like D1 right in front of the BCEC.

Last edited:

Did it? I always thought the moniker was narcissistic vanity appellation by Menino; development happened because of the climate, not the name.

They needed the name to attract certain tenants away from Kendall Square and other tech/bio markets.

They dont need it any more and likely no one will call it that soon.

cca

Good render showing the u/c projects completed, besides having the alternate tower at A2. Going to be interesting to see what becomes of the parcels that are left like D1 right in front of the BCEC.

Stick - Can I ask you where you located that rendering?
Thanks!

They needed the name to attract certain tenants away from Kendall Square and other tech/bio markets.

cca

Was just about to say the same. It worked in the beginning for marketing purposes. Not to say that it wasn't an earnest objective to attract certain industries to the area.

Seems like the parcels u/c would perpetually be in the dark/shade?

cca
Totally agree.
Given STATLER created the thread maybe they would consider dropping the Innovation Dist. portion of the title.
My preference for the thread title would be Seaport Neighborhood|Infill and Discussion or Gen.

I mean it is the name though.

Heres a good read on the subject of the name etc..
https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/ex/sustainablecitiescollective/case-study-boston-waterfront-innovation-district/27649/

This part is interesting where they ask a great question, and get an absolute run around of an answer...

“”What obstacles did you overcome to create the Innovation District? Did creation of the district require changes in regulations or laws?”

“This initiative has been more than a rebranding or marketing effort. The Innovation District has changed the way we look at how we do our business. As people and businesses want to come to the area, we have had to respond with a swiftness and openness that have pushed the limits of our traditional municipal role. As innovators and developers have come to us with ideas for the area that have normally been outside of our expertise, we have innovated with them to make these ideas a reality.””

When in doubt “innovate” your way out...

Viewing that amazing rendering from Stick.

In the core of the picture the buildings are very boxy and walling off the water.
When walking down to street level the Seaport has very unique architecture of glassy, boxy unique shapes. The ocean is blocked off but the overall area looks amazing. Modernized Architecture for the 21st century.

The infill is coming in nicely.

This intersection is the worst pedestrian experience in the Seaport. Multiple slip lanes, high speeds from a highway off ramp, and terrible visibility when crossing. On another note, NEMA and Echelon have (as others predicted) broken up the huge interior lot and created the feeling that one is actually in a city.

It's really remarkable how far the Seaport has come in 5 years. Not pictured:
- Goodwin Proctor
- Pier 4 Office
- Pier 4 Condos
- Seaport Square (Benjamin)
- Seaport Square (Via)
- 50 Liberty
- 22 Liberty
- Watermark Seaport
- PWC (completed)
- PTC
- Waterside II
- Transportation Center
- Echelon 1
- Echelon 2
- Echelon 3
- Yotel
- Envoy (completed)
- Nema
- Parcel K

Amazing.

Excuse any pic overlap from the individual project threads but with the rate of change around here being so fast I wanted to put together a little photo essay on the area.

14238532223_54d5854e63_b.jpg

14031678159_97d0b12a23_b.jpg

14218138164_186e8e200f_b.jpg

14195156366_f23d7e6137_b.jpg

14195098246_bf8dd439f1_b.jpg

Seaport is pretty impressive from an amount of development perspective and from a change in built environment perspective. But, it is still kinda underwhelming from a street level experience.

I still don't have a good feel for whether this will ultimately end up as a dynamic neighborhood or just a better than parking lots kinda place

Seaport is pretty impressive from an amount of development perspective and from a change in built environment perspective. But, it is still kinda underwhelming from a street level experience.

I still don't have a good feel for whether this will ultimately end up as a dynamic neighborhood or just a better than parking lots kinda place

Have you not seen

00000015645.jpg

WSdevseaport.0.jpeg

This tower is already u/c now for Amazon

614_1.png

Even this will tie in fan pier to one seaport sq really well

Seaport-Square-Parcel-M1M2_009.jpg

But M parcels and pier 4 are literally JUUUUST about to wrap up. Id hold off until they do, thats going to be the turning point. Were close but not there yet, but those two are going to be huge. Right now its still a huge construction site that is disjointed with lots of buildings under construction. As far as its come its not there, those will be the turning point.

I'd like to see the USPS parking lots developed, although being so close to the Pike exit it might be hard to build big there.

Back