Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Add another 1,000 employees when MassMutual relocates and 2,000 Amazon employees when Parcel L4 completes, both of which are slated for (likely late) 2021.

And then after that, add the residents and employees that will be part of the next build phase, for instance a condo building next to Goodwin and the further build out of the WS developments. It is going to be even more crowded.

Dont worry about taking public transportation over there, I'm sure it will be fine

Seaport Square with the stairs is 2x closer to the red line than my apartment is and I have about as good a commute as it gets. The channel and dead space makes it seem way further than it really is.

Agreed, but there's a vocal group here on aB that keens for Insta-traps like they're the ultimate sign of a city's success.

No, I'm part of the group that hopes for something really unique. In a sea of glass buildings, it would be nice to have something specific to generate buzz.

In case you've been living under a rock, Vessel has been generating a ton of buzz and has made Hudson Yards a destination for many "normal" folks. Otherwise, there'd be virtually zero reason to go there.

Agreed, but there's a vocal group here on aB that keens for Insta-traps like they're the ultimate sign of a city's success.

Actually, for many people, the Harborwalk is an "Insta-trap" (thanks for the new word!). Just as David has been for Florence, or Big Ben, or the Eiffel Tower, or the Statue of Liberty have been for their cities...along with thousands of other examples of well known sights. I guess I'm one of those aBers that loves fun, interesting things in a city. I love the sculptures on the medians of Seaport Blvd., but I do believe they would have been more fun if they had been placed on the sidewalks or in spaces where pedestrians could really see them, yes, and visitors could take a few pics/selfie's of them. It's one of the joys of visiting a new city or discovering something new in your present city. A large lobster or cod sculpture/fountain at the end of Pier 4 would have been amazing, and fun! These types of things add to a city's life and identity. But, hey, that's just me.

BTW, I've always heard that any city that can support a fairly robust group of buskers (without the city subsidizing their performance) is a sign that a city is, indeed, successful.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...015/05/08/street-performers-busking/70943154/

Polyesters?

I think that's the place he has in mind, but it was Polyestahs, wasn't it?

No, I'm part of the group that hopes for something really unique. In a sea of glass buildings, it would be nice to have something specific to generate buzz.

In case you've been living under a rock, Vessel has been generating a ton of buzz and has made Hudson Yards a destination for many "normal" folks. Otherwise, there'd be virtually zero reason to go there.

I think you're right, that the Seaport needs a hook if it is to draw people considering other options around town, but I'm not sure that a Cod fountain (as much as I think we should have one) would serve that purpose. I'm somebody who always finds the Seaport more interesting than I expect, but nevertheless rarely have a reason to go there. I don't think a whimsical spitting fish would get me there any more frequently than now. The harbor walk, once it is clear of construction clutter, will probably be a draw for me, especially once the South Bay harbor trail is complete. Aside from that, what is there if you don't work or live in the area? Restuarants? I've got plenty of those in my neighborhood and in other downtown areas closer to me. Ultimately, I think it's just like any other part of the awesome city we live in -- just another cool place if you happen to end up in that part of town. That's probably all it needs to be.

Henry, I was thinking of a lobstah/Cod fountain more on the idea of the Merlion in Singapore. Granted, it might not be a draw for a resident other than wandering over to see it once or twice, but for visitors, it would be a great draw (though with Boston's luck at maintaining fountains, who knows! LOL). But I will say this about the Seaport, whenever I come back to my hometown of Bridgewater, anyone I talk to, if the Seaport is mentioned, people are like, I love that place, or something similiar. It is definitely a draw unto itself, for me as well. Between the harbor and the newness of the place, every time we go there, we have a great time! And it will only get better!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=306738406c45175cc6fa8d9ea76edbb8&action=view

Henry, I was thinking of a lobstah/Cod fountain more on the idea of the Merlion in Singapore. Granted, it might not be a draw for a resident other than wandering over to see it once or twice, but for visitors, it would be a great draw (though with Boston's luck at maintaining fountains, who knows! LOL). But I will say this about the Seaport, whenever I come back to my hometown of Bridgewater, anyone I talk to, if the Seaport is mentioned, people are like, I love that place, or something similiar. It is definitely a draw unto itself, for me as well. Between the harbor and the newness of the place, every time we go there, we have a great time! And it will only get better!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=306738406c45175cc6fa8d9ea76edbb8&action=view

YES! I have many photos of friends doing all kinds of crazy pictures with the water shooting out at various points on their body. It could be a fun destination point along the Harbor Walk. I agree that the Harbor Walk is really nice in that area of the Seaport.

Also, the club I referred to above may have been Polyesters, but that doesn't sound familiar. I think it was on Northern Avenue in an old warehouse with tons of parking in the industrial area around it. At the time, there wasn't much down in that area except industrial uses and parking lots.

I think that's the place he has in mind, but it was Polyestahs, wasn't it?

I think you're right, that the Seaport needs a hook if it is to draw people considering other options around town, but I'm not sure that a Cod fountain (as much as I think we should have one) would serve that purpose. I'm somebody who always finds the Seaport more interesting than I expect, but nevertheless rarely have a reason to go there. I don't think a whimsical spitting fish would get me there any more frequently than now. The harbor walk, once it is clear of construction clutter, will probably be a draw for me, especially once the South Bay harbor trail is complete. Aside from that, what is there if you don't work or live in the area? Restuarants? I've got plenty of those in my neighborhood and in other downtown areas closer to me. Ultimately, I think it's just like any other part of the awesome city we live in -- just another cool place if you happen to end up in that part of town. That's probably all it needs to be.

Pretty good response. Not every neighborhood has to attract everyone. Certain people like certain areas and thats fine. As a oef oir vet the iraq/afghan memorial is probably more a reason for me to feel connected to this area than many here, and thats fine too. Ive only been to assembly once. I think a lot of it depends on what train line you live on. I live on the red line so I go to red line places mostly. We still dont know exactly what all of the draws will be, but as Ive said before we didnt knock down any of our neighborhoods to build this so its only an addition. Its great to have this completely unique and brand new neighborhood for people who like or want that, and the back bay is still there for people who enjoy there, and all of the other neighborhoods. Its a positive that its not like any other Boston neighborhoods because that gives the city more diversity of places.

Also, I hope Pier 4 turns out similar to Circular Quay in Sydney. It's very uninspiring architecture for the condos above, but the street level is lined with restaurants and outdoor tables. You can just walk along the Sydney Harbor front and choose from a dozen nice restaurants with a stunning harbor view.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1536&bih=760&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=uUgSXaCbBK_45gKPxIWIAw&q=east+circular+quay+images&oq=east+circular+quay+images&gs_l=img.3...50939.51684..52016...0.0..0.71.327.5......0....1..gws-wiz-img.usF6QpHy2NA#imgrc=m0xkXpDn1-u5HM:

I realize Boston Harbor doesn't have the weather of Sydney Harbor, but we can certainly make the most of what we have. I think Wagamama, Tatte, and Sorelle have done a nice job of having some outside seating in that area already.

The seaport doesn't need any gimmicks or hooks to attract people...it's already hands down where people want to be. I was there this past weekend at night and it was spilling over with people from beer gardens, restaurants, walking around. It's a vibrant spot and only getting busier.

The seaport doesn't need any gimmicks or hooks to attract people...it's already hands down where people want to be. I was there this past weekend at night and it was spilling over with people from beer gardens, restaurants, walking around. It's a vibrant spot and only getting busier.

I tend to agree. As far as Myface-trap gimmicks go, the view of downtown/Rowes Wharf/Custom House on Fan Pier already attracts plenty of photo ops and selfies. In fact. I think it's a fairly common complaint on the Boston sub-Reddit forum that people keep posting photos of the view from Fan Pier.

I also think there are a number of seasonal "attractions" there, such as the tall ship that was there over this past weekend.

While the height situation is not ideal, it is what it is. Logan airport is far too important to the city, metro area and region. Compared to how this area looked as recent as 15 years ago, this is a massive improvement.

I know it’s because of height restrictions that exist for a good reason, but from a far, the Seaport just looks absolutely terrible due to the plateau affect. We need a couple of much taller buildings to stand out, behind this flat and low skyline.

Meh as a whole, what you actually see in real life, looks much better with the downtown skyline and then the shorter buildings off to the right as well. The whole is better than its parts.

On another note I like how parcel k is shorter, tapering away the left of the skyline from its peak at fan pier.

Just got back from a weekend in New York City where we walked the High Line with thousands of other gay tourists! I've never seen so much rainbow clothing in my life! Anyway, I was very impressed and I enjoyed the Vessel at the end of the High Line as it spills into the public plaza in front of a giant upscale shopping mall. The Spanish version of Eataly was very nice. It was called Little Spain.
https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/food-drink/mercado-little-spain

https://www.littlespain.com/

From what I saw and while walking around, it wasn't better than the Seaport, but unique in its own way.

From what I saw and while walking around, it wasn't better than the Seaport, but unique in its own way.

Whoa whoa there chief... so youre telling me that a place with a bunch of “stumps” is better than a place with supertalls?? Nuh uh..

Whoa whoa there chief... so youre telling me that a place with a bunch of “stumps” is better than a place with supertalls?? Nuh uh..

Let's not allow height fetishism to cloud sound judgment. I wandered Hudson Yards about a month back and, while interesting to look at, it's far more corporate and sterile than the Seaport. The Vessel is best viewed at a distance; up close it looks cheap and it's already filthy. The upmarket shopping mall is almost anachronistic, a throwback to when people with deep pockets would spend hours accumulating shopping bags from Needless Markup, etc...

Our 'stumps' are more interesting and engaged with the surroundings than Hudson Yard's supertalls.

Back