Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

The rederings are impressive and the architecture is very high quality. The question is how will these developments actually feel at ground level. Will they feel like active organic urban areas or a master planned development with underutilized open spaces and large retail footprints.

This came out very nice but, is there now, or will there be, any seating along this new stretch of the Harbor Walk?

g_iNuGF_zwjUZ_Eqb6PfFKnoWS2EYCr5AksVv3GryXB0j4X4N6sr7NziolLpCkoT8HLJyhe7wCyqLa4HPuk3nvFiLfjneEdtoljHTx1L_vQewtpRdD7jK16NCjzE4qWNtcbRiW7Jwoe-ghFEurOAcvciRI5R-nGLwvyCD15ZjpQpmqt_7KzXllmHpefF5OZXAwf0abJ9Zzb2Jn25UTkb4dA_uhCO5j9b-WyNnIU9zWce4eNMtLJIz9yBZndcvXPzXAWVA8f34yRb0Z36waDexiYGd88F5E9ybMkX_SEN06LUHJGjsdRk5_1Cpe0qCWxEwnW32phEcgp_CME6N4sq_8kSbR7LCApk6KRFzGgjcHPKHxao6oLFsTT-iXodH-zvAsMk4V0qawHHz06JBzlWu5RdTGvoz9Jg5HyuvkIh3wlov74loigKmgKEhMdKioICcPsSIbfAotLNBnRGSVvu7W9GY3Vke7EXYiqdt550I-KaKHjhpQSYIeA359MbdtzdRIfNruTrVvYnogDe1FNCwEZeyivvHfhNQndYcUfnTzn-howp0kCLrECXZH1r7Os6mTjPHmvJKavLZxJOSPhhbPzYigiNjhOwjs0D4QlNAktMYhIHvqIauCKiQXN7oDK2EwH4534nryDj1keutcGy9MwPRBdkvWoUcFsgzW8Ur7AUx4cKs7ZkN3jlLEhr6IkUhRbFsnyKNomMsEOWjh8tRkV7Zg=w1208-h906-no

Y9gXqQKV8oMgDhOzT2sSeKIynh1uVmF1JTP4M425auh3ly6GT1j6ftfQqyvyIwff6u5_UUutiwnHDGkTQcXFJ1fJTLL-ZuEssWHCfVGzyWieBC1Aoh4G4jrT1albn2gqRQMBLzZQ5CXmpDA9y_Ql0n2p64rWB_BTaYLFDXpT4JSmCBCxvLYVB30TSZC8hyXwcHCRS5Z_bjytQyr2ysFbYrnlQN2hhQM9QfE8R1Ntimr2arnDyTYyHJO7RLiZfrEsTc9R89Nls0A3c4lmvnKbghp0D3iSeHmZWbjvoYkpM-LtibokuwMwtXNq7c3vqNL7rLyX_g1CRJKdcE9v3oB75MDVAC-21Ie7oZt55xGElGRQKIF8yCXUdv0Q9D2pyVMfRIebAXtk46LB-CiOUfLkwRp3Ouib15rICuBbqrI1nB_Q0dOzPyjAx7kgT_6OQIUXkPaiOWP40DYNw4uYa6RY8PquhqAaCasQxzQGwb-iVy9N_VaHZhY-XRU6aZ6AIEJB4EyY2LM0bp2gE0iFjxTzBjgdR-6fSqK4-oro5hhIEZKrK-ow7-0J3QrUvizS73SwGzEN7XrVnSgL_Vk6NKW3lTm61GCILl6LJJsylAmXhD6psY9S66j6PF507SzIJ8rhGlsmL8H9SgX2BDSxBS_0GHJnWWLs8CZcvj_fpWPfyYeDryiAib9G9IQQEIn_ylUgEuF0ySEAsj5ISwrVuOcMwwL0Jw=w1208-h906-no

wp0jDJmdNYmEjTvXz1eHT5OI-F2W2N3W02Nk-Uoj-Mn1Rn7WT8vSBo_0P1uczK0RJXXwRi3KPXvQ2HRKI54JSXlgpn7oRHnnAn4_w9TGYz3pAJ0b-5jKBiJprZKEXpSmgvQ7n9TfgMqJI_RriFLzrrbbMs-61yxF8F1CgMTnAp1i6znJmW13nGBmlBg_kq8LEXhG8fYyGrgo26da9mi-c5gISODrHYHUPqRwzBdrODC1mWexu9APz1Q9ARnMCK4TCHQ8FFMQ8is04QaSeUXkKjD3KDzmjm2bBCutxytKY3DerVUQaZUuNido8nuHT_Gb-wwZ6RcAn-RK7l3K_vC7vAo2eXNMK3eVJq8Ri8m_zkhr4Jo2iBN25IDNO-sknbJMiS8A3PvcGp0K1GJCxeclGqS3qTYWyHB_MLCdcLurMHNMDo9SVxlBd5sBQ28ZbSut0USBps773RMeWDj3TZDNwdU2jIs8Xuz0Ti2Rbanx0EnX24vBkfmNN0Hrl5tkt3ahoE9a5GEFML5jOX-7bFIVaReyGayp-nd1mCiWHknjAEoPOgbEBMARPZjVesp21jQmulnID8U3vtIe7IuaXzvDp4JeZsxoBAkUPE7nm78lFBnYoaFDYbz9bQhPNLztamJifGRaDxvW7FpQ_t1RSjXHkfS3WVHzi5Rt-c3CSUql19t4zfJOvSrFJmjSocFt1cCjj8Y-d_6XuVtAlNNDLhlua1j1yw=w1208-h906-no

This came out very nice but, is there now, or will there be, any seating along this new stretch of the Harbor Walk?

There's a few benches fashioned out of stone along that stretch. Not exactly the most comfortable, but it is seating.

https://flic.kr/p/2giVX11

https://flic.kr/p/2gjbWCo

One of the things I've noticed this year is the fact that the Seaport is becoming a destination. For the first time I've seen Duckboats and Old town trollies sightseeing. This might be something to do with the cruise season, but yesterday I saw one of the Ducksboats comment on the sights as it drove down Seaport Blvd. I also noticed that the harbor tour boats are actually sightseeing along the shoreline of the Seaport.

Another thing is that the parks (Park on D, Martins Park, and even the Memorial Park) are well attended.

The Harbor walk is well utilized even when no conventions or concerts are in progress.

This maybe my wishfull thinking, but I think we got a winner.

Last edited:
Why do people still doubt the Seaport? Ever time I go there there are tons of people around. And its only partially built out.

I wish we had something super unique in the Seaport like the "Bean" in Chicago or the "Vessel" in NYC. That would solidify the destination mentality.

It's absolutely a success regardless.

I wish we had something super unique in the Seaport like the "Bean" in Chicago or the "Vessel" in NYC. That would solidify the destination mentality.

It's absolutely a success regardless.

Can't satisfy everyone. I also remember seeing quite a bit of negative commentary about the Vessel. I for one am glad that there isn't some super touristy "icon" in Seaport bringing in more tourists (although does Barking Crab kind of count?). But I'm also biased.

I explored Hudson Yards the week they opened the Vessel and during Björk's christening performance of The Shed. Honestly, it was nice to see a place activated like that, but it would be nice if the Seaport could be as vibrant outside of office hours.

In Boston, I'm less worried about a place being overrun with tourists (see: Quincy Market) than I am about a place feeling incredibly "culturally monolithic"/not diverse... however is most unoffensive to put that these days... Seaport is no exception; rather it seems to be the poster child of this issue.

Agreed- it seems significantly busier. Even better, ~3000 new residents will be added in the near future with Echelon/NEMA/Parcel K/Waterside 1b.

Agreed- it seems significantly busier. Even better, ~3000 new residents will be added in the near future with Echelon/NEMA/Parcel K/Waterside 1b.

Add another 1,000 employees when MassMutual relocates and 2,000 Amazon employees when Parcel L4 completes, both of which are slated for (likely late) 2021.

And then after that, add the residents and employees that will be part of the next build phase, for instance a condo building next to Goodwin and the further build out of the WS developments. It is going to be even more crowded.

The thing is seaport square isnt even built yet and its literally the entire focal point of the area. Boston is a bunch of corners and squares, no? Well the (Seaport) square, isnt built yet. Idk why theyre building it last, but they are, thats just the way it is. Boston gonna Boston... Once its built though its going to be great and no one is going to care about how people whined about it being unfinished before. Pretty much everything in here so far is just going to be some shit next to seaport square once the focal point of the entire neighborhood is completed. Its not yet though, so we just have to wait a little bit longer.

I explored Hudson Yards the week they opened the Vessel and during Björk's christening performance of The Shed. Honestly, it was nice to see a place activated like that, but it would be nice if the Seaport could be as vibrant outside of office hours.

In Boston, I'm less worried about a place being overrun with tourists (see: Quincy Market) than I am about a place feeling incredibly "culturally monolithic"/not diverse... however is most unoffensive to put that these days... Seaport is no exception; rather it seems to be the poster child of this issue.

We are heading down to New York City this weekend to honor the 50-year anniversary of Stonewall, AND check out Hudson Yards and the latest High Line additions. (I'll try to get some pictures.)

Overall, I like the Seaport, but I do wish they had 1 or 2 "destination" points. The steps and overlook at Fan Pier are nice, but I keep thinking a huge Lobster Sculpture that shoots out water to Boston Harbor like the Singapore Merlion would be nice.

I walked around Pier 4 as much as I could last week, and I was disappointed in the materials of the wood and the somewhat "cheapness" look of the light fixtures. However, I'm sure it will become active when it opens. I always make a point to head to Wagamama late. They are open until 10pm, but pretty dead around 8pm during the several times I've been there. I hope this vibrancy and density come soon, because I'm afraid that some restaurants and stores won't survive the wait.

In summary, the Seaport has turned out much better than I expected, AND I remember the original plan for canals and the Hyatt Regency Tower where the current Federal Courthouse is located. Plus, I partied at the Channel and the nightclub on Northern Avenue that actually had a "cat-walk" over the dance floor, but I don't remember the name. Anyway, it's a far cry from yesterday and MUCH better and more vibrant in every way. It's coming along nicely.

I think the harborwalk is better than any fun sculpture you can throw in here.

Back