Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

We should be trying to seed a garden, not plopping down legos. Whether intentional or not, this kind of oversight is a planning failure.

Building on your thoughts, great cities are more like biodiverse forests than monocultural orchards.

I find it interesting that Michael Flaherty is voicing concerns about the (lack of) planning in the Seaport now. If I'm not mistaken, he was President of the City Council in the era of of Tom Menino's "I decide where the schools go" statement. I've neither the time nor the ambition to dig into the Globe's archive to verify the date.

I've taken to referring to the Seaport as "Tommyburg," a shiny, acultural dystopa, the sad result of an uninformed and disengaged electorate sending a petulant and capricious dullard to the City Hall for two decades.

I've taken to referring to the Seaport as "Tommyburg," a shiny, acultural dystopa, the sad result of an uninformed and disengaged electorate sending a petulant and capricious dullard to the City Hall for two decades.

I'm sure that'll catch on any day now! :D

If this is your biggest worry in life consider yourself lucky. Or try getting a pet. ;)

Regardless of political leanings, the presence of intellectually lazy people in positions of political authority represents a societal problem that everyone should be concerned about. I think there's been some press coverage on this particular issue in recent years.

Last edited:

1400 housing units and 1000 hotel beds under construction in one shot:

Great shot!!
Add another couple of hundred residential units with Pier 4 and the St. Regis, plus 300 at Parcel K and it's up to 1900+ residential units under construction at this time. Add 293 hotel rooms (Hyatt Place) at Parcel K along with the 411 going in at Marine Wharf (the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites) and it's 1700+ hotel rooms! It's so damn amazing that literally 15 years ago, the Seaport was awash in parking lots. And now, it's a mini city. And with much more to come. I am a huge fan of the Seaport.

Regardless of political leanings, the presence of intellectually lazy people in positions of political authority represents a societal problem that everyone should be concerned about. I think there's been some press coverage on this particular issue in recent years.

Jesus, we have to get a drink sometime.

Great shot!!
Add another couple of hundred residential units with Pier 4 and the St. Regis, plus 300 at Parcel K and it's up to 1900+ residential units under construction at this time. Add 293 hotel rooms (Hyatt Place) at Parcel K along with the 411 going in at Marine Wharf (the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites) and it's 1700+ hotel rooms! It's so damn amazing that literally 15 years ago, the Seaport was awash in parking lots. And now, it's a mini city. And with much more to come. I am a huge fan of the Seaport.

Whats even crazier is all that, plus this:

Imagine when its filled in all the way to Southie. Im hoping were going to get the schools, police, fire, library, playgrounds, theaters, grocery ...etc soon. Id also like to see as development moves inland it gets much cheaper allowing a more diverse community of people living here and hopefully they also add a good amount of affordable housing, section 8, lottery housing, middle class...etc. in with the rest of them for a mixed income community vs separate like the outdated model.

Theres LOTS of housing that has to be built and this area is literally the size of downtown worth of developable land, so very dense housing built here filling up the entire neighborhood could add a whole lot of it. I cant think of any affordable housing built within the innovation dist. yet either so that has to change. I dont expect affordable or middle class housing on the waterfront, cool let the rich people have that.. whatever, but now that its moving inland its definitely time to start incorporating these things and turning it into a real neighborhood. I have faith, theyve been doing a great job here so far and the Seaport area is really an extension of the financial district, so that was fine, but now its time to start adding the rest of the stuff. Especially the essentials soon like grocery stores and schools since so many units are coming online.

Last edited:

In a way, the Fan Pier/Courthouse area already feels 'old' in comparison to the newer developments, which are pushing further in towards the BCEC. As Stick points out, there is a looong way to go before running out of parking lots, but it's wonderful to see them consumed so quickly. Hopefully the final Fan Pier parcel sees something soon (and Parcel D/G for Seaport Square) so we can see the final product for that section of neighborhood.

We have been cited in a BisNow article about Seaport planning:

"There is still plenty of chatter in online forums and in neighborhood meetings about developers continuing to push forward different iterations of glass boxes to get as much of a return on their investment as possible. Developers Thursday said it is too early to write off the neighborhood, saying it isn’t even halfway built out."

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/...98670?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

^ I only wish they linked a page in the thread with a more contentions and polemic tone.

I really hope theres a way to add some retail here across the street from Waterside place.

This stair case is going to be wonderful. I wanted to get down from Summer st, and its a pretty long walk down WTC ave to the Silver Line station. This is the PERFECT spot.

I really hope theres a way to add some retail here across the street from Waterside place.

First they need to remove the friggin metal barricade running down the center island that would make that retail a pain in the ass to get to from waterside.

This would have looked so much better with a 3 or 4 row step up going away from the water.

This would have looked so much better with a 3 or 4 row step up going away from the water.

There is a significant step up here.

Fan Pier:
ICA 6 stories, Courthouse 10 stories, 22 Liberty 14 stories, Vertex 20 stories

Pier 4:
Condo's 9 stories, Office 13 stories, apartments 21 stories.

WTC is staying at 70' stepping up to 250' across Seaport Blvd.

Fish Pier staying at 60', 250' across the Blvd.

Liberty Wharf 55', etc.

Is the name "innovation district" still in any official or colloquial use?

Is the name "innovation district" still in any official or colloquial use?

I don't believe so, just "Seaport" now as it should have always been but "Innovation District" certainly helped get this neighborhood moving, but that's a whole other discussion :)

Back