Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Westie -- In spite of the marketing-speak, I assumed this element was a riff on this venerable NYC venue.

I think it's safe to say that the developer will employ an acoustician so the space is functional for non-amplified music.

Beton -- i was partially kidding -- but the problem with glass and acoustics is a real one -- you need a whole lot of damping in the form of drapes or wall hangings and then why bother with the glass -- make it a nice wooden walled box or even better plaster walls with a wooden floor and stage and some statues and a semi-random coffered ceiling with some multi-bulb chandeliers -- oops that one was done about 110 years ago

The design for Symphony Hall is still considered one of the three best in the world as Conductor Herbert von Karajan, in comparing it to the Musikverein, stated that "for much music, it is even better... because of its slightly lower reverberation time -- Beranek, Leo Leroy (1962). Music, acoustics & architecture. Wiley. p. 93. ISBN 0387955240. OCLC 175926.. Beranek paraphrases but does not quote von Karajan in the second edition of this work (2004). {ref from Wikipedia}

I have a couple questions specifically about some of the waterfront parcels -

1) Does anyone know of plans to develop the parking lots in front of Fish Pier? To me those represent a pretty wide gap in waterfront use between Liberty Wharf and WTC.

2) Any plans in the works to develop something more permanent around the BoA Pavilion? love the look of the pavilion itself but street level box office area looks cheap and temporary.

2) Any plans in the works to develop something more permanent around the BoA Pavilion? love the look of the pavilion itself but street level box office area looks cheap and temporary.

I was over there yesterday and noticed a bunch of fresh dig safe markings, but they all seemed to center on the BofA LED sign. So I'm guessing the sign (at least) is getting replaced with some thing that looks a little less 1987. Maybe they had envy for the BCEC's new HD sign (which I think looks great).

1) Does anyone know of plans to develop the parking lots in front of Fish Pier? To me those represent a pretty wide gap in waterfront use between Liberty Wharf and WTC.

Shep -- the parking lot in front of the Fish Pier is part of the longer-term planning for the various Massport properties in the South Boston district

Nothing is immanent

1) Core Block including Waterside Place is on Massport property, fully approved. Based on Massport's history, I'd guess the Core Block parcels will develop far more rapidly than, say, Seaport Square.

2) As I understand, the Pavillion has a temporary lease and State license with DEP that requires renewal. I think the lease is 10 years, and it has been renewed once. The land is Massport-owned and my recollection is that the Pavillion would use the parcel until a better use or port use came up. The Pavillion has proven to be a great success, but I'm not aware of conversations that would make it permanent. That may explain why there isn't significant investment in the front of the house.

New app released for the South Boston Innovation District Seaport District Fort Point Channel neighborhood.

And, what? Does he mean where the Marine Industrial Center is? That was all rail yards?

“Remember a few years ago it was rail yards and people said it couldn’t happen,” said Mayor Thomas M. Menino. “And looked what happened. This is a great place to be and there is no telling how far we can go.”

New website launched Wednesday, aims to attract visitors, residents, and businesses to South Boston's Waterfront

By Patrick Rosso, Boston.com

Those looking to visit South Boston’s Waterfront will have a new tool at their disposal after the launch Wednesday of the Waterfront’s new website www.bostonsnewwaterfront.com.

The site, unveiled at a press conference at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, brings together offerings in the area, including restaurants, to hotels, and places to live.

“Thousands of national and international visitors attend conferences at the BCEC each year,” said James E. Rooney, executive director of the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority. “This site will be a wonderful tool to showcase all the Waterfront has to offer.”

Officials with the MCCA and BCEC were joined by local elected officials who hailed the site as the next step to making the Waterfront Boston’s next neighborhood.

“Remember a few years ago it was rail yards and people said it couldn’t happen,” said Mayor Thomas M. Menino. “And looked what happened. This is a great place to be and there is no telling how far we can go.”

The Waterfront for the past decade has been going through major changes bringing in new businesses, condo buildings, and the Mayor’s latest priority, the Innovation District. Now with the new website, city officials hope to make the area that was once a hub for industry and parking lots into the city’s newest neighborhood.

“I think that finally the development we all hoped for is starting to emerge and become a part of South Boston we never could have imagined,” said District 2 City Councilor Bill Linehan.

The website is a collaboration between the MCAA, Massport, the Fallon Company, Friends of the Fort Point Channel, and the Boston Private Bank and Trust. A Smartphone App was also developed for those on the go looking for something to do from the Fort Point Channel to the Marine Industrial Park.

wasn't the Marine Industrial Park formerly an Army base?

“Remember a few years ago it was rail yards and people said it couldn’t happen,” said Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

No, I actually remember that being more than just a few years ago. That's one of the problems, Mr. Mayor.

"Bostons New Waterfront," at http://www.bostonsnewwaterfront.com refers to the same land tract(s) the BRA has identified as the Innovation District. As referenced here, the bounds of Bostons New Waterfront includes the Fort Point District and the (formerly named) Seaport District (aka South Boston Waterfront) as well as the Marine Industrial Park (MIP).

A new "district" name has been coined this week, namely the "New Waterfront District" referenced here. This "New Waterfront District" moniker seems to pertain to the Marine Industrial Park. It's worth noting that the New Waterfront District is inside the bounds of Boston's New Waterfront aka Innovation District (formerly called Seaport District and South Boston Waterfront).

Observation: The use of the district name in the Globe and Herald varies with content. If the story is about a company arriving, it is the Innovation District. If the story is about a company folding or a crime story, it is the South Boston Waterfront. If it is a hotel or residential project, very typically the story will refer to the Seaport District. A story about maritime use is the Marine Industrial Park while a story about an office use within the Marine Industrial Park will refer to the Innovation District. Lastly, a story about the arts or small locally owned retail operation will often refer to Fort Point as Fort Point, although a new small retail business arriving in Fort Point may alternatively be identified as being located in the Innovation District or Fort Point. Thankfully, "Boston's New Waterfront" can be used across the board.

EDIT: Added Observation

Last edited:

"Bostons New Waterfront"...

Observation: The use of the district name in the Globe and Herald varies with content. If the story is about a company arriving, it is the Innovation District. If the story is about a company folding or a crime story, it is the South Boston Waterfront. If it is a hotel or residential project, very typically the story will refer to the Seaport District. A story about maritime use is the Marine Industrial Park while a story about an office use within the Marine Industrial Park will refer to the Innovation District. Lastly, a story about the arts or small locally owned retail operation will often refer to Fort Point as Fort Point, although a new small retail business arriving in Fort Point may alternatively be identified as being located in the Innovation District or Fort Point. Thankfully, "Boston's New Waterfront" can be used across the board.

EDIT: Added Observation

Sicil -- presumably since the Herald is now a denizen of the SPID - the place right outside on Summer St. is probably going to be refered to as "New Herald Square" to replace the old one which is to become the Ink Block -- then again there should be an Inc Block in the SPID

053-2.jpg
050-4.jpg

More suburban / Kendall Sq. architecture. The street wall is horrendous, and shuns pedestrians as much as possible.

really atrocious. not even up to kendall square standards.

really atrocious. not even up to kendall square standards.

We are now lamenting the architecture of a potential development that has been repeatedly rejected by the BRA based on an 8 year old rendering.

And, oh yeah... that rendering, that we've been lamenting ... well, it's only still alive in 7 year old ArchBoston cache.

And the circle of life is complete.

We are now lamenting the architecture of a potential development that has been repeatedly rejected by the BRA based on an 8 year old rendering.

And, oh yeah... that rendering, that we've been lamenting ... well, it's only still alive in 7 year old ArchBoston cache.

And the circle of life is complete.

Is there another rendering?

Why should pedestrians be embraced along what is obviously intrinsically six lane highway?

/BRA

How about:

Southie Technology Waterfront Port Innovation District (STWPID)

edit: or

Southie Technology Urban Meetingplace (STUMP)

Back