Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Drove by this monstrosity yesterday. It's enormous. What is it? How have i not heard of it?

053-18_zpsea8a983e.jpg

Monstrosity? it's one of the more celebrated projects on this board.

Well, that's just their opinion undiluted by other people's opinions and it really doesn't look good from that angle. I've found this building looks better the more I look at.

At first glance, I thought that crane on the roof was a structural spire. I kind of liked it.

At first glance, I thought that crane on the roof was a structural spire. I kind of liked it.

Great point.

The Seaport is STARVING for a building with a spire (or at least SOME hat on it). It's tragic that the only thing there approaching having a hat is the vent building.

According to the metro the innovation center will be called District Hall. I kind of like that.

^ Menino influence waning already.

From the BRA news and updates:

Mayor Menino Tours District Hall, City’s First Innovation Center | Boston Redevelopment Authority News

Posted by Communications on May 23, 2013 in Planning

This week Mayor Thomas M. Menino gave a full progress update on Boston’s innovation center, and revealed the name of the building under construction at 75 Northern Avenue on the South Boston Waterfront. District Hall will play a central role in the social infrastructure of the growing Innovation District and will serve as a home base for entrepreneurs to make connections, build relationships, and convene programs and events.

“Cities have long built infrastructure for travel and utilities,” Mayor Menino said. “But in a relationship-driven economy we’re building a new kind of infrastructure – a place to make connections and to build relationships.”

The $5.5 million District Hall is the world’s first free-standing public innovation center. Tim Rowe, the CEO and founder of the Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC), and his team at non-profit sister organization, the Venture Café, will oversee daily operations, events, and programming at the building.

“Vibrant communities of innovation, such as the one we are helping to build at District Hall, are fundamental to helping unleash and maximize the potential of individual creativity. We are honored that Mayor Menino invited us to be part of this public-private partnership that embodies the intrinsic belief that innovation is core to the health and continued renewal of our economy,” said Tim Rowe, Founder and CEO, Cambridge Innovation Center. “This novel approach to promoting and fostering collaboration to create new solutions, new businesses and new industries will only further the City of Boston’s role as a global leader in solving the world’s greatest challenges through innovation.”

The Mayor and Tim also announced some early activities and partnerships that will take place in District Hall this summer, including Mobile Monday Boston, the largest gathering of startups and entrepreneur in the mobile technology space; LearnLaunchX, a series of meetups for startups working on the educational technology space; and Boston Startup Institute, an entrepreneurship training program for high school students. In total, more than 50 groups and organizations have inquired about using the space.

The one-story, 12,000 square foot building includes 9,000 square feet of space that will be outfitted with vital assets to innovation companies, like modular meeting and event spaces, and short term space for start-up labs. District Hall will also include a 3,000 square foot restaurant and test kitchen to be operated by The Briar Group. The restaurant will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, and is slated to open in fall 2013.

District Hall will open in mid-June with limited programming through the summer, ramping up for a large launch and full opening event this fall. The building’s development team includes Boston Global Investors and Morgan Stanley, contractor John Moriarty & Associates, and architect Hacin & Associates.

Ooh retail! A place that serves breakfast in the Seaport is a great idea! Interesting!

Did we know about this before?

Ooh retail! A place that serves breakfast in the Seaport is a great idea! Interesting!

Did we know about this before?

Yep. Though when I was working on it at my old place it was always talked about as being a "burger joint" which had sounded great to me. Of course they could still have breakfast.

Test kitchen on the other hand sound like a way to charge ten bucks more per meal which is not what the area needs.

As for breakfast in the area, take a walk down Farnsworth and grab some fresh breakfast at Yada Yada. Great family run place, and the breakfast was always my favorite in the area. Couple eggs, sausage, english muffin, and fruit salad was my go to.

Hotel and 300 unit apartment building coming to massport's parcel K. The image in the BBJ link looks wrong (aren't those D street hotels?).

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/05/hotel-apts-planned-for-seaport-district.html?ana=e_bost_real&s=newsletter&ed=2013-05-30&u=lWyEwJiPY4yEq6xk9FZmew0PMOK&t=1369938608

Coordinates of site from filing:

Parcel%20K_SupplementalInformation.pdf

The good news is.... just in that article I counted 1525 new residential units. It's not the critical mass number yet that everyone has clamoured for, but it does seem better than some of the doom and gloom numbers we were discussing a year ago. Hopefully that number triples of course. But, on the surface it seems to be trending better anyways.

Retail in the base of each is also promising. 640 parking spots versus a total of 554 (apts. + hotel) rooms will make plenty of heads explode I suppose.

Agreed on the lack of due diligence, but c'mon Massport. Residential "not allowed"? Heads out of your asses and reassess.
Maybe Massport doesn't want residents moving in, and then complaining about the airport noise or the smell of fish from the processing plants. The cases are legion about people who move in to a new house or apartment, and then start complaining about pre-existing conditions or surroundings, or preserving views that they have no right to.

The surrounding parcels here I believe are zoned industrial or for maritime-related businesses. If this building was residential, fat chance of the residents ever agreeing to industrial development across the street..

There was a poster on this forum who moved to a building near a major highway and a train station, and then began objecting about all the pollution from the trains and motor vehicles.

Maybe Massport doesn't want residents moving in, and then complaining about the airport noise or the smell of fish from the processing plants. The cases are legion about people who move in to a new house or apartment, and then start complaining about pre-existing conditions or surroundings, or preserving views that they have no right to.

Massport another truly dysfunctional state organization when you have your parking lot employees making 150K a year with a lifetime 40K pension to direct cars for parking you know there is truly something wrong with this picture politically. Especially when you realize the security out of Logan has been a joke since 3 out 4 planes involved in the 911 scheme were flown out of Logan.

So when Massport officials start talking about developing their land usually everything is an inside job.

Maybe those people who complain about "pre-existing conditions or surroundings, or preserving views that they have no right to." should read their lease or purchase agreement not that Massport would actually do their own due diligence.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metr...t/-/11971628/16557534/-/11nq47hz/-/index.html

After this lawsuit gets resolved do you think Massport will even exist? Since they are somewhat liable for what happened.

Massport another truly dysfunctional state organization when you have your parking lot employees making 150K a year with a lifetime 40K pension to direct cars for parking you know there is truly something wrong with this picture politically.

Sigh.
Rifle these lots are automated. You insert a credit card when you go in and insert the same credit card (to be charged) when leaving. There are no parking attendants making $150K a year here. It's too hot to deal with your uninformed, anti-[insert word: "fat cat", "pump and dump", "political hack"] rants.

Sigh.
Rifle these lots are automated. You insert a credit card when you go in and insert the same credit card (to be charged) when leaving. There are no parking attendants making $150K a year here. It's too hot to deal with your uninformed, anti-[insert word: "fat cat", "pump and dump", "political hack"] rants.

In this instance I thought he was referring to the central lots at Logan, and not this particular one.

Back on point. From the description, I thought this was the lot West of the WTC west tower?? That would kind of debunk the industrial zoning issue above. I was guessing that Massport had planned this to be office or hotel as part of the big picture WTC build out. I know the South office tower has been on hold/dead for sometime, but that's what I got out of it. The Seaport Lane Condos would be closer to any industrial zoning/uses.

Either that or I have misread the parcel in question altogether.

Seamus, I believe this is currently the parking lot just across Northern Ave from the Pavilion, and due south of the big dry dock. It forms the SW corner of the little rotary near the end of Northern Ave.

Back