Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

^^ Loving your recent semi aerial shots.

Same here. Thanks DD.

Thanks guys. More to come!

Thanks DD.
Seeing the old Boston Edison plant in that picture makes me wonder if the redevelopment of the plant will result in a high-rise. The area is mostly small residential, but if I was going to try to redevelop the Edison site I would certainly make the argument, "Hey, if I'm going to tear down a 150' tall power plant I better be able to replace it with a 150' tall tower."

EDIT: Not that I expect the redevelopment to happen anytime soon.

They've really innovated a massive median on Congress St.

Between this and the Greenway, Boston is becoming a leader in median strip technology!

The first few should be in the Waterside Place thread, but good god that facade is horrible!!!

sorry could'nt remember the name of the project

I never thought I'd say it but that needs a glass curtain wall.

That makes sense, the project is completely forgettable.

350px-Burn_Degree_Diagram.svg.png

Just a thought on this neighborhood (the discussion about McGrath Hghway's width got me thinking)... does anyone else wonder at the width of roads in the entire Seaport area? Roads like Boylston and Mass Ave in the Back Bay are 50-60 feet from sidewalk to sidewalk. By contrast, nearly all the roads in the Seaport (Congress, D, Summer, Seaport Ave, Northern) are 60-90 feet from sidewalk to sidewalk. I understand that they probably can't shift them easily because of utilities, but was the neighborhood really built with the expectation that every road needed to carry four lanes of traffic, two parking lanes, and a median? Even at full build-out, superblock buildings and elongated boulevards will make this neighborhood always feel canyon-like.

Canyon-like would be nice. I think the word you're looking for is 'desolate'

Maybe these streets could easily add bike lane (dedicated not painted) infastructure? The streets AND sidewalks are larger than anywhere else downtown... how much space does a dedicated bike lane need? 4 feet per direction?

Drove by this monstrosity yesterday. It's enormous. What is it? How have i not heard of it?

053-18_zpsea8a983e.jpg

Back