Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

^^

All of this which wouldn't matter when technology advances so that meetings and exchanges are all done electronically. Vertical cities, (where offices, supermarkets, hardware, farm, etc. are located within the same complex), which are more efficient, seem to be the more likely outcome in the future, and by the way Shanghai is described, that city seem to be a step ahead.

I've been to Shanghai, and based on my personal experiences there I actually have to agree with Mr. Florida. However, I think the biggest challenge facing Shanghai's ability to innovate is the homogeneity of its population by comparison to other "world" cities like London, New York, Singapore... even Boston. I was last there 7 years ago, so I can only imagine how much has changed in Shanghai. And I'm sure that city will continue to diversify in time, which will be its biggest antidote for innovation.

I think it makes good publicity to label the seaport as the "innovation district", but for reasons oft mentioned the city is falsely advertising the district of today and tomorrow. After thinking about it, I believe Boston's real innovation district is the Fenway neighborhood. MFA, Gardner Museum, Colleges of the Fenway, Northeastern, Berklee, NEC, Fenway Clinic/LMA spillover, even Fenway Park--there are so many minds hard at work in this part of the city pondering such a wide net of topics and concentrations. Both the young and old; domestic and international; students and professors; tourists and locals descend on this neighborhood with such varying missions, yet a common likelihood of crossing paths in this densely-populated cluster. THIS is where innovation begins.

How do you translate that innovation to the seaport district? Well for one, I was hopeful that more in the way of education would take place at the Seaport when I heard Babson University created a satellite campus there. Then I learned it was not more than 2,000 or 3,000 square feet of office space and I cringed. I think unless a major university--local or non-local--begins seriously investing in this part of the city, it'll be an uphill battle for innovation to truly thrive in this neighborhood.

But hey, it's 2AM and I'm just a guy probably rambling nonsense. Time will ultimately tell.

...abOut the CirCus and tHe WIshing WEll

Four proposals for Pier 8. All proposals actually seem pretty involved, some having lined up restaurants or universities (endicott). No renderings from what i can find. Based off the article, I'm not sure which one I like best.

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1061154616&position=1

I like “Freedom Wharf" the best, although do not like that Darden Restaurants would fill it. A Marine Science lab is an excellent fit for the Innovation district.

I wish Cresset's was a little more ambitious, although it does sound like it would be an instant success.

I like “Freedom Wharf" the best, although do not like that Darden Restaurants would fill it. A Marine Science lab is an excellent fit for the Innovation district.

Darden owns the Yard House chain, no? I can think of many worse restaurants in that location than a place with 100+ beers on tap and decent food that won't run $100 a person after drinks, tax and tip. The area needs restaurants beyond high end steakhouses/fish places.

Darden owns the Yard House chain, no? I can think of many worse restaurants in that location than a place with 100+ beers on tap and decent food that won't run $100 a person after drinks, tax and tip. The area needs restaurants beyond high end steakhouses/fish places.

They did just purchase the Yard House chain. But with the new Yard House at Fenway, I can't see them opening another in Boston proper since they are so huge, but who knows. They are also in planning stages of opening one on Rt. 1 in Peabody.

They did just purchase the Yard House chain. But with the new Yard House at Fenway, I can't see them opening another in Boston proper since they are so huge, but who knows. They are also in planning stages of opening one on Rt. 1 in Peabody.

I dunno. The fact that Yard House lists their Boston location as "Yard House Boston-Fenway" as oppose to "Yard House Boston" suggests that they'd be interested in another location within the city. And I can tell you after going to this place at least a half dozen times since its opened that it's been a big hit since opening in March. I think a seaport location would be a wise next step, much like Jerry Remy's Fenway & Jerry Remy's Seaport.

I dunno. The fact that Yard House lists their Boston location as "Yard House Boston-Fenway" as oppose to "Yard House Boston" suggests that they'd be interested in another location within the city. And I can tell you after going to this place at least a half dozen times since its opened that it's been a big hit since opening in March. I think a seaport location would be a wise next step, much like Jerry Remy's Fenway & Jerry Remy's Seaport.

Agreed. I ate at the Fenway Yard House a couple of months ago for a midweek lunch when I was in the area and much to my shock the place was at least 1/2 full at 1:00pm. 1/2 full might not seem like a big deal but when you see how large the space is, it is an impressive feat for a midweek lunch. Also, there is no doubt they are practically printing money over there 81 times a year.

I'd love to see a local, non chain restaurant down on the water as much as anyone but the fact is that the finances make that nearly impossible. If we are going to get a chain, a Yard House is not bad.

Recall that Darden is also Red Lobster and Olive Garden.

Just like Marriott and Hilton must have all demographics covered, so too will the restaurant firms.

Wouldn't it be so bitchin' if Red Lobster opened an international flagship on the seaport? It could be, like, 3 stories, each with a different theme and they could open a Red Lobster Test Kitchen across the street and call it RLTK. Wait a minute...

Looks like the area is coming along fast and furious. I'd suggest a facelift for the Commonwealth Pier World Trade Center though. It still looks like a warehouse.

Its due.

Making Seaport District Silicon Valley east

DivcoWest, overseer of a stable of Silicon Valley power addresses, is buying up prime sites in Boston, Cambridge
Divco West bought the 220,000-square-foot Davenport office building on First Street in Cambridge for $79 million.
By Casey Ross
Globe Staff / August 28, 2012

Now it is trying to replicate that tech success in the Boston area by snapping up properties in the Seaport District and East Cambridge, hoping to open East Coast offices for its tenants or draw suburban companies into the city. Its executives are quite clear about why.

“Boston has always been a strong performer and we’re seeing the most robust growth occur in those particular markets,” said Keith Wallace, a managing director for DivcoWest.

The company is finalizing a $105 million deal to buy four buildings off Congress Street in the Seaport District. In Cambridge, it bought the 220,000-square-foot Davenport office building on First Street for $79 million in March, and it is among three bidders vying to redevelop the 22-story former Middlesex County Courthouse nearby.

The investments speak to rising interest in Boston by technology firms that have traditionally preferred the West Coast or sprawling campuses in the Massachusetts suburbs. In recent months, several large firms have moved into Boston’s business core, including LogMeIn Inc. from Woburn and Communispace, which relocated from Watertown.

Wallace said DivcoWest hopes to bring even more of those tenants into Cambridge and Boston, potentially adding to the area’s already impressive roster of tech-based companies. “A lot of these companies are trying to use their real estate to attract talent,” he said, “and they’re mostly doing that by locating in urban areas.”

Real estate brokers say Boston and Cambridge are becoming more attractive to a range of companies because of their growing supply of restaurants and retail shops, as well as new residences that allow workers to live within a short walk of most stops in their daily lives.

It is still difficult for large companies to build custom-made campuses in urban neighborhoods, which often involve skirmishes with neighbors and local regulators who have sharp elbows. But many are finding ways to open new offices and expand in the cities.

“Just look at what Google and Microsoft have already done in Cambridge,” said John Wilson, a partner for Richards Barry Joyce & Partners, a Boston real estate firm. “They’re putting together playgrounds for bright young employees. It’s their R & D strategy.”

Much of the expansion is being fueled by the acquisition of local start-ups. Pay Pal, the online payment division of Internet auction pioneer eBay Inc., established a presence in Boston in 2011 with its purchase of Where Inc. Last month, Pay Pal signed a lease to move its offices into International Place in Boston’s Financial District. In March, another Internet giant, Amazon.com Inc., acquired robot maker Kiva Systems Inc., one of DivcoWest’s tenants in North Reading.

DivcoWest is just one of several West Coast real estate companies to increase investments in Boston. San Francisco-based Shorenstein Properties recently bought the 461,000-square-foot Seaport Center complex off D Street. And Gerding Edlen, a Portland, Ore.-based residential developer, started construction in July of its first new complex in Boston, a 200-unit tower along A street in the Seaport.

Real estate executive Roy Hirshland said the Boston area is beginning to develop more of the social and professional organizations that have made Silicon Valley so attractive to technology firms and their workers. As an example, Hirshland pointed to the development of an innovation center in the Seaport to spur collaborations among innovative companies and entrepreneurs. Other organizations like MassChallenge also help to connect promising start-up companies with funding opportunities and potential business partnerships.

“I think Boston’s mayor [Thomas M. Menino] is hoping the growth of the technology community will help keep students and start-ups here, so they can stay in the urban core and grow,” said Hirshland, chief executive of T3Advisors, a real estate firm that represents technology tenants. “And I firmly believe that is going to happen.”

Wallace, the DivcoWest executive, said his firm does not expect to fill all its properties with technology giants. He said the firm intends to update the properties in the Seaport — the buildings include 51 Sleeper St., 300 A St., and 313 and 330 Congress St. — and market them to a range of companies.

“I think the demand in the area is being driven by technology companies,” he said. “But that’s not to say that construction, engineering, and architectural firms won’t continue to occupy space over there.”

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

http://www.boston.com/realestate/ne...9tFfuuxYN/story.html?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed1

The Seaport probably could have been something but without a proper Transit Grid it Silicon Valley type feel won't happen. First thing about Planning is Transportation accessibility.

Also the taxpayers are beginning to run-out of money to support the Mayor personal projects.

I really don't think the silver line is an issue in the near term. Would light rail be better? yes! but the silver line isn't at capacity. The area is a 5 minute bike ride and 15 minute walk (fort point shorter), and with the buildings they are actually adding not decreasing parking capacity in the area. These companies seek out talent and cluster around it. the seaport is a growing cluster, kendall sq. is a very well established one. Over time, the SL will need to be changed, but to say the seaport has less transit availability than Silicon Valley is wrong.

at $55.00 a square foot to rent.......I have a serious problem as a tenant paying these types of prices when you can be Downtown for alot cheaper with a full access to all the lines of the MBTA grid.

Seaport has priced itself higher than Downtown. That could pose a problem

^Apparently not. And if it does, then they lower rents according. the office space market is just that, a market.

Exactly. This area is like transit heaven compared to the SF Peninsula.

Really good news that this area is cannibalizing tech firms from the suburbs moreso than Cambridge. Too bad that most of the growth is the result of intra-regional movements, though, and especially unfortunate that it's being facilitated by out of town takeovers. Hm.

San Franciso is a much warmer climate which makes accessibilty much easier place.

Boston from Dec to March can make life very miserable.

Back