Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Anyone looking for a shot that might prove that the Federal Reserve is taller than One Financial, these might do the trick.

Well if that's the case then holy lord, State Street Bank is as tall as the Hancock!

Not sure what the activity is about.

08XuhcT.jpg

JNvBEDm.jpg

eCvxwhS.jpg

There are two large Naval ships in the Seaport.

At the dry dock was USNS Fisher which is a very large transport ship (951' long). It is pretty impressive if you have a chance. Couple of big cranes.

yRdtacy.jpg

lR8A7hD.jpg

As you can see by the photo it is maybe taller than the Federal Reserve. /sarcasm
cpm7Zq3.jpg

And then along the east pier some sort of helicarrier maybe. I could not really see it.

oDVHtZm.jpg

And then along the east pier some sort of helicarrier maybe. I could not really see it.

oDVHtZm.jpg
This is the USS Oak Hill LSD 51. She is 609 ft long with a crew of 419 and a complement of 402 to 504 Marines.

I believe the term you are looking for is "Helicopter Carrier" :)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicarrier

No, the term is LSD or Landing Ship, Dock.

LSD only carry 0 to 4 helicopters -- they are not helicopter centric. The main work is carrying a few hundred marines and their landing craft: tanks, landing vehicles, potentially air cushion, etc. Give or take 2/3rds of the ship is a ~5 story "well deck" with a massive door and the air deck platform like a thin partial roof. The well deck door drops and the well floods so that the amphibs can exit.

I served on LSD 32.

LSD only carry 0 to 4 helicopters -- they are not helicopter centric. The main work is carrying a few hundred marines and their landing craft: tanks, landing vehicles, potentially air cushion, etc. Give or take 2/3rds of the ship is a ~5 story "well deck" with a massive door and the air deck platform like a thin partial roof. The well deck door drops and the well floods so that the amphibs can exit.

I served on LSD 32.

Very cool. Thanks for the tip and the info, guys. I'm going to take a walk down there. It's been years.

Coming in on the commuter boat I also noticed behind the Oak Hill a stack of sheet pile and a sheet pile driver on that open lot. There are also a number of J Derenzo pieces of equipment on site. There appeared to be a groundbreaking tent out there a week ago. What is happening out there? All I could find on line was a notice that they we looking to add some rip-rap at the sea wall.

I served on LSD 32.

Nice...thanks for the info and, more importantly, thanks for your service.

Dry dock #3

lvYOfNJ.jpg

VSZpxzk.jpg

El4FFIY.jpg

The building at the (almost) end of the wharf.

a4PDEjV.jpg

rEvyex2.jpg

Ol2NHVy.jpg

y1oyDJ2.jpg

I've been away. First thing I see - images I've never seen of Boston. What a welcome back. Thank you.

You've got some balls on you. How'd you get in there?

You've got some balls on you. How'd you get in there?

I wasn't inside, it was taken at the gate from the public Capstan Way. You can see the same view here on google maps. I'm impressed they made it down that far.

I was running down there a couple weeks ago. Every time I go down there the "No trespassing" signs scare me.

D'oh. I see now; I never went down that street. I always stay on Fid Kennedy Ave.

Back