Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

It has arrived on the annex in E Boston.
https://flic.kr/p/25xLeeA

I would love to see this area transform into something like NDSM Wharf in Amsterdam--an industrial waterfront turned over to creative uses, galleries/rehearsal spaces, performance venues, flea markets, live-work studios--all while maintaining a distinctly industrial look. The ICA Watershed is a great first step.

I would love to see this area transform into something like NDSM Wharf in Amsterdam...

I agree, and the kernel of that is present here. Given time and the input from like-minded folks, we may see that sort of result. The main obstacle to that result is the unabated proliferation of luxury housing on the waterfront, and the ripple effect into the established Jeffries Point neighborhood.

Some of us are also advocating for similar urbanistic gestures and uses to HYM and the BPDA for the masterplan at Suffolk Downs.

I agree, and the kernel of that is present here. Given time and the input from like-minded folks, we may see that sort of result. The main obstacle to that result is the unabated proliferation of luxury housing on the waterfront, and the ripple effect into the established Jeffries Point neighborhood.

Some of us are also advocating for similar urbanistic gestures and uses to HYM and the BPDA for the masterplan at Suffolk Downs.

I think that depends on who you talk to and what areas you include in "waterfront." Some would argue that the residential-to-office ratio in Seaport is very low in the Seaport (I've seen outspoken SJWs point to figures such as 20-30% ratio but I didn't do the math), even with the upcoming M parcels for example.

If you're also including Jeffries Point, then maybe that's a different story. But that waterfront is very different than Seaport.

I'm not saying whether you're right or wrong, but just interesting that there are vastly different opinions out there re: "unabashed proliferation of housing" vs. "not even close to adequate levels of housing" in the same area.

I think that depends on who you talk to and what areas you include in "waterfront." Some would argue that the residential-to-office ratio in Seaport is very low in the Seaport (I've seen outspoken SJWs point to figures such as 20-30% ratio but I didn't do the math), even with the upcoming M parcels for example.

If you're also including Jeffries Point, then maybe that's a different story. But that waterfront is very different than Seaport.

I'm not saying whether you're right or wrong, but just interesting that there are vastly different opinions out there re: "unabashed proliferation of housing" vs. "not even close to adequate levels of housing" in the same area.

He's clearly referring to East Boston waterfront. They're talking about the shipyard area where the ICA Watershed is, and he references Jeffries Point by name. He's not including the Seaport at all in his statement...

I'm speaking specifically about the East Boston Waterfront and the established neighborhoods that directly abut the area. As I'm sure you're aware, there's nothing short of a development feeding frenzy in Jeffries Point and Maverick Square; developments like Clippership and Portside are chum in the water.

If you give a close read to Boston's recent history (i.e. last 50 years), we know that neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain and the South End were revived by an infusion of "outsiders" (Latinos, artists, LGBTQ, political progressives). The very same thing is happening here, folks who are looking for a good value-for-money in an area that has been dispossessed for over a generation.

As with any other community, there are pros and cons to the demand that's been created in East Boston, some of it is "organic," and a lot of it is manufactured by marketing/PR. I think it's fair to say that people who have lived in East Boston (if only for a few years) have a much clearer understanding about what makes the place attractive and vital than developers, their lawyers and financiers, or the BPDA.

I'm not digging the new logo. Ah well.

^ I also preferred the red, vaguely Russian constructivist pennant.

I understand why a non-collecting museum would want to rebrand more often, to mirror the transitory nature of contemporary art.

He's clearly referring to East Boston waterfront. They're talking about the shipyard area where the ICA Watershed is, and he references Jeffries Point by name. He's not including the Seaport at all in his statement...

I'm speaking specifically about the East Boston Waterfront and the established neighborhoods that directly abut the area. As I'm sure you're aware, there's nothing short of a development feeding frenzy in Jeffries Point and Maverick Square; developments like Clippership and Portside are chum in the water.

If you give a close read to Boston's recent history (i.e. last 50 years), we know that neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain and the South End were revived by an infusion of "outsiders" (Latinos, artists, LGBTQ, political progressives). The very same thing is happening here, folks who are looking for a good value-for-money in an area that has been dispossessed for over a generation.

As with any other community, there are pros and cons to the demand that's been created in East Boston, some of it is "organic," and a lot of it is manufactured by marketing/PR. I think it's fair to say that people who have lived in East Boston (if only for a few years) have a much clearer understanding about what makes the place attractive and vital than developers, their lawyers and financiers, or the BPDA.

Ok, my mistake. Missed the part in an earlier post where ICA Watershed is an East Boston thing vs. something on the industrial end of Seaport.

Thread title of "South Boston Seaport" + ICA reference + being at work = mistakes were made.

^ Understood -- it's all good. I think the photo got posted to display the (shitty) new ICA logo, not to insight out discussion.

The 1970's, 80's had IT'S great neighborhood renewal + the Harbor Towers gold rush. Now we have the East Boston + Seaport gold rush.

Churned out faux iconic gold rush!

North to Alaska baby! Climb on board NOW!!

^ I think you might need a CAT Scan.

^^ I was almost convinced it no longer worked!

Boy, that really shows the height limit in the Seaport.

It would be cool if the spot between WTC ave and the Sausage parcel had a Seaport Sq. type of plaza with decking over the streets and buildings on all the solid ground to make this actually an activated space vs just ramps below and a few scattered buildings. There are stairs going up from Congress St. up to WTC ave level. The triangle parcel has the T shaped building, the parcel across the bridge from Waterside Place is filled in, the triangular parcel between the tracks and Summer st, and the parcel next to the ventilation building are all built on solid land shown in blue. The rest of the decking is over the on/off ramps. I think this would be cool and no buildings would have to be built over any roads just decking over the roads and it would add a nice plaza where would otherwise be open space with visible ramps. Most of it would just be at ground level with WTC ave and Summer st, the rest would be an on ramp opening next to the half moon building, ground level to get to the T buildings, and then the wall separating the other ramp on the other side, not bad. The plaza could take all kind of forms I just whipped this together with a bike path, walking path, and a fountain. This would be great to have outside the front of the BCEC. Something like this:

https://postimages.org/app

Back