Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

You cannot walk from the lawn into the convention center. There is a bag check between the convention center and the lawn.

Also, I attend a convention at the convention center in DC every year and there are no bag checks.

The lawn on D also serves alcohol. They're checking to make sure nobody brings in outdoor booze. It's not really a public park, its a bar with some park-like elements.

Last night was the first night of this new beer garden and it was insanely crowded.

The lawn on D also serves alcohol. They're checking to make sure nobody brings in outdoor booze. It's not really a public park, its a bar with some park-like elements.

Bars serve alcohol. They dont check you before you walk in to see if you brought your own.

Last night was the first night of this new beer garden and it was insanely crowded.

The Seaport is coming alyyyvee.

Gonna be getting chilly; Tiki lamp heaters?

I know it's very nitpicky but why are the traffic signals still all utilitarian grey?

I know it's very nitpicky but why are the traffic signals still all utilitarian grey?

They look terrible. I wish at least Seaport Blvd. would be the black signals.

Artwork is being installed right now in the allocated spaces on Seaport Blvd.'s new median. First piece is going in the middle of the road across from Filson.

Not to be a killjoy, but this looks like a bunch of cheap shit they stole from a miniature golf course. Saint-Gaudens, Rodin, and Moore worked in bronze; Picasso and Serra work(ed) in steel. Who works in injection-molded plastic, and why is it good enough to be public art in Boston?

Bonus: how awesome will this look surrounded by piles for filthy snow?

Not to be a killjoy, but this looks like a bunch of cheap shit they stole from a miniature golf course. Saint-Gaudens, Rodin, and Moore worked in bronze; Picasso and Serra work(ed) in steel. Who works in injection-molded plastic, and why is it good enough to be public art in Boston?

I think they're fun. They obviously lack the permanence of the artists you reference, but I don't see that as a problem. There is room for both.

Kids will love them, and while cities have largely recovered from their automobile and white-flight educed nadir, there is still a lack of families with children.

I think they're fun. They obviously lack the permanence of the artists you reference, but I don't see that as a problem.

Kids will love them...

Fair enough. Maybe they belong on the periphery of Martin's Park.

...while cities have largely recovered from their automobile and white-flight educed nadir, there is still a lack of families with children.

True enough. For Boston, fix is a lot more complicated than most people realize. That, of course, is a much broader conversation than a simple matter of taste.

Beton:
I rarely post here but would only ask that before you cast aspersions on these pieces that you take the time to learn more about them. They're not plastic, and they are the original work of a very well-known Spanish sculptor and street artist, Okuda San Miguel. Boston is lucky to have works of this caliber installed in such a publicly accessible place.

Beton:
I rarely post here but would only ask that before you cast aspersions on these pieces that you take the time to learn more about them. They're not plastic, and they are the original work of a very well-known Spanish sculptor and street artist, Okuda San Miguel. Boston is lucky to have works of this caliber installed in such a publicly accessible place.

If this is "high quality art", perhaps Boston should stick to trees.

Well, they're definitely art -- we're arguing about their merit and appropriateness.

These artworks haven't been unwrapped and revealed yet and people already feel compelled to complain. This says more about the critics than it does about the art.

Back