Silver Line to Chelsea

Silver Line Gateway (Photos!)

Silver Line Gateway Progress Photos

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I was urged by another ArchBoston user to post my pictures of the Silver Line Gateway project thru Chelsea here, as some of you may enjoy them! I'll apologize if there's an existing thread but I scanned a few pages and didn't see anything so I figured I'd start a new one (and keep all the construction photos in one place!)

On Saturday (4/25/15) I walked the entire route of the new BRT route and took pictures of the current construction. I started at Airport Station and walked to Market Basket in Chelsea, zig zagging my way across city streets to view the old ROW and future busway. It was a fairly long walk, and not really near any public transportation (except the irregular 112 bus) unless I was near Broadway and/or Washington Ave in downtown Chelsea, so the new BRT route will serve a very under-served area.

I took a TON of photos (300 in all), and paired it down to about 83. The full set can be seen here on Flickr, but I'll share some of the highlights below.

My main point of taking pictures was to document what the area looked like before all the work has substantially started, and then come back every month or so and take progress photos (and yes, I will post them here also). MassDOT has an aggressive construction timeline (service possibly by late 2017!) for this project so I anticipate lots of progress to happen between sets!

I'm also personally excited about this because I live close enough to monitor the progress, plus this was the first transit project I've been apart of (I went to almost all the meetings at city hall), and I had alot of input to give. This project is really going to change the face of Chelsea, and give us some additional transit service that we so desperately need and want. (Remember Chelsea has 3 out of the 15 "Key" Bus Routes!)

Yes it's not a LRV or an branch of the Blue Line, but it's something. Most of the buses thru Chelsea are jammed packed almost all hours of the day, and many, like the 111, run at frequencies of 5 minutes or less so adding more buses on city streets isn't going to help. We need something different and can be built fast with small money. And that's where this project comes in, MassDOT already owns the land and little to no modification to the commuter rail helps keep the costs of this project down. Plus it's fully backed by the state & federal gov't and the community in general, so there's very little NIMBY about this project at all, since it is well know that Chelsea needs more direct transit service. As a bus rider myself, I can attest that this will help greatly. It really is a win win for everyone.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the project, the Silver Line Gateway project is a new BRT line that will serve from South Station to the Mystic Mall (aka Market Basket) in Chelsea. It will serve all the stations in South Boston and use the Ted Williams Tunnel. However, unlike the SL1, it will bypass Logan Airport entirely and head to Airport Blue Line Station. After it leaves Airport Station, the buses will travel down the airport access road to the Martin A Coughlin Bypass Road (aka the East Boston Bypass Road) to connect to Chelsea Street. Once on Chelsea Street, the buses will cross the Chelsea Street Bridge, and cross the intersection of Central and Eastern and enter the Massport Garage's bus loop to join the new busway.

Once in the new busway, it will serve a stop at the Massport Garage called Eastern Avenue Station. Then the bus will continue up the new busway at an 'at grade' crossing at Cottage Street, and then go under the Bellingham Street bridge. It will then continue to Box District Station at the end of Highland Ave. Once leaving Box District station, it will join the Rockport Commuter Rail line under Broadway and Washington Ave to the current commuter rail station. This station will be reworked to be a BRT only station called Downtown Chelsea Station, while the commuter rail station will move behind Market Basket. Once it leaves Downtown Chelsea Station the buses will continue down along side the commuter rail to Market Basket with (signaled!) crossings at Arlington St, Spruce St, and Everett Ave. Once the buses cross Everett Ave they will enter Mystic Mall station and use the loop to around to become inbound buses again.

There are four main spotlights of this project:

The first is a new busway with four new stations entirely in Chelsea that will run from the MassPort Garage (near Central Ave @ Eastern Ave) to next Market Basket on Everett Ave.

The second spotlight is the relocation of the commuter rail station from it's current location on Sixth Street @ Arlington to behind Market Basket. This will allow for the station to receive much longer and high level, ADA-compliant, platforms and canopy's than it's current location.

The third is the Shared Use Path dubbed "The Chelsea Greenway" which will run from Eastern Ave Station to Chestnut Street (near Washington Ave).

The fourth is the rebuilding of the Washington Ave bridge to accommodate the new busway, however this bridge was deemed structurally obsolete, so it was slated to be replaced anyways.

More information about the project can be found here.
Last meeting presentation (August 2014) can be found here.
SEIR filing can be found here (a LOOONG read).

As far as the current status of construction, as you'll see below.. not much. However, construction only started two weeks ago, and it's pretty amazing (to me) how much they have cleared out already considering how much trash and brush is gone already from the old ROW. I'm sure when I head back to take more pics in a few weeks, I'll have some decent progress photos by then.

(and again, you can find the full set of photos here which paints an even better picture than below!)

------------------

Here's a map of the future busway and station assignments:

17083900998_c4b6045457_b.jpg

------------------

Here's the un-used waiting area at Airport Station that will become the platform for the new BRT route. I'm standing right at the end of the end of the outbound platform. MassDOT plans on adding real time tracking billboard (that will also notify riders when the Chelsea Street Bridge is going up!), better seating, shelters, and other amenities. (Click here to see the platform rendering)

17270683455_5ffc298980_b.jpg

------------------

This is where Eastern Ave Station will be next to the Massport Garage near Central Ave @ Eastern Ave. The Inbound platform will be right where the pine tree straight ahead is. Then beyond that will be the entrance to the future busway. (Click here to see the platform rendering)

17063293247_b6644f698f_b.jpg

------------------

Here's a view looking up the future busway from Cottage Street (at grade) crossing to the Bellingham Street bridge. You can really gauge how wide the new busway and shared use path really will be. This is also where most of the 'noticable' construction is (outside of trash/brush removal).

16650496903_1295fc862a_b.jpg

------------------

Here's a view from the Bellingham Street bridge of the future busway looking south (toward the new Eastern Ave Station). Yes that's water. There's a tiny wetland here that has to be contended with there before the busway can go in. (the SEIR doc has more details about this)

16648284974_c0073b3ed8_b.jpg

------------------

This is where Box District Station will be. The trees on the left will remain and will be joined just to the right by the Shared Use Path. The inbound platform will be about where the gravel/cleared area is (near the 2d clump of thick trees). The outbound side should be somewhere near those pink stakes (on the otherside of the fence). (Click here and here to see the station layout renderings)

17244807126_24e7eaa06f_b.jpg

------------------

Here's the junction with the Rockport Commuter Rail line, as seen from the Broadway bridge. The future busway will come out about where those gates are, stay to the right of the CR line and go under the bridge (with a signaled one-way). That entire (gross) mound will be re-worked, and a retaining wall installed to support the shared use path that will run at the top (and connect to Broadway on the otherside of the bridge). In short, it's going to look a heck of a lot better than it is now!

17270801455_2e7e77b731_b.jpg

------------------

This is a view of the current Chelsea Commuter Rail Station. When the CR station gets moved behind Market Basket, this will be remodeled to be a BRT only station. The inbound platform will be in the lower left hand corner of the picture (where the 1st utility pole is) with a connecting ramp to Washington Ave. The outbound platform will be close to the Arlington/Sixth intersection on top of the old railroad tracks (which will be removed). The future busway will snake between the two. (Click here to see the station layout renderings)

17083070728_afe3705b2e_b.jpg

------------------

Here's a view looking down the future busway between Everett Ave and the existing CR station. (Everett Ave and Market Basket are behind me). MGH Chelsea is to the right, and the new FBI building is to the left. Plenty of room for the future busway!

16650661773_62c1ce1f1f_b.jpg

-------------------

This is where the future Mystic Mall and CR station will be. The new return loop will circle the group of pine trees on the left with the outbound stop being about where those stakes are, and the inbound being the mound of grass on the left. The new CR station platforms should start at the 3rd stake (in the distance) (Click here to see the station layout renderings)

17269102862_9ca16891aa_b.jpg

And for more photos or more of a step by step walk thru, you can click here to see the full set.

-----

I think that's it for now. I will take more pictures in the near future, and post here as construction start to ramp up. I'll also try to answer any questions as best as possible if people have any!

Thanks, Kris (aka cybah)

PS - Mods, if my picture are too big/large/small/broken or I didn't do this right, PM me.. happy to fix.

Last edited:
Re: Silver Line Gateway (Photos!)

Glad you posted this. A mod will have to merge this into the other SL Gateway thread. Believe it or not, we still use your "Silver Line to Chelsea (Study Meeting)" thread from 2013 to discuss the project! http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4473&page=12

Suggested merge and rename the thread simply to Silver Line Gateway to Chelsea.

Last edited:
Re: Silver Line Gateway (Photos!)

Glad you posted this. A mod will have to merge this into the other SL Gateway thread. Believe it or not, we still use your "Silver Line to Chelsea (Study Meeting)" thread from 2013 to discuss the project! http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4473&page=12

Suggested merge and rename the thread simply to Silver Line Gateway to Chelsea.

Looks like something worth trying when its finished and there is another Free T Day

Re: Silver Line to Chelsea (Study Meeting)

Thanks, Cybah. I mentioned in this thread a few pages back my suggestion that some trips, rather than looping at Mystic Mall, turn instead down Everett Ave and loop around downtown Chelsea. It strikes me that the current service really skirts downtown rather than serving it well. I wouldn't do this for every trip, because if you did, it would kill headways and cause bunching. However, there may be ways to mitigate this. For example, Everett Ave from Market Basket down the expressway can clearly accommodate dedicated bus lanes... you might need to wipe one side of on-street parking. Then, you might maintain bus lanes on a one-way loop from Everett turning left onto Broadway in a counterflow lane - and a Downtown Station on this block - and back up 3rd to Everett again. To me, this would really expand the ridership, and the economic well-being of downtown Chelsea.

Finally, I'd like to bang a tired trope that I keep coming back to on this forum. Goddamn stupid place names. Why do we need a terminal station on our T maps called Mystic Mall? Ugh. Why should we enshrine private place names in public transit, especially "malls" that really are just parking lots? Was the name "Everett Avenue" taken? Sadly, I send lots of letters about these kind of things and never get a response (sad both because of how I spend my time and the degree to which anyone else cares).

Right turn onto Everett Ave. over the train grade crossing is insanely dangerous. That's why they can't do that. You could loop left into the parking lot then proceed to downtown, but making a sharp right-angle turn across the tracks with an articulated bus in the driver's blind spot...doubleplusunwise.

Frankly, not eliminating that system-worst grade crossing is the biggest flaw of this whole thing. It's not unduly expensive to bridge that road over the tracks. If they went minimalist on the stations (which you know they won't) that probably produces the cash to do it. North Shore Transit Improvements study specced $19M as the cost for eliminating the Eastern Ave. grade crossing, which is a more complex job because of the 4-lane roadway, re-shaping of the Crescent Ave. intersection, and loop ramp required to preserve access to the Eastern Ave. Ext. driveway. This would've been a simpler and less costly job even figuring inflation and bloat contingencies. Then loop-ramp the busway up to the intersection at the Market Basket light and turn any which way you want onto a much traffic cleaned-up Everett sans crossing.

Seems so obvious, so of course not.

Right turn onto Everett Ave. over the train grade crossing is insanely dangerous. That's why they can't do that. You could loop left into the parking lot then proceed to downtown, but making a sharp right-angle turn across the tracks with an articulated bus in the driver's blind spot...doubleplusunwise.

Frankly, not eliminating that system-worst grade crossing is the biggest flaw of this whole thing. It's not unduly expensive to bridge that road over the tracks. If they went minimalist on the stations (which you know they won't) that probably produces the cash to do it. North Shore Transit Improvements study specced $19M as the cost for eliminating the Eastern Ave. grade crossing, which is a more complex job because of the 4-lane roadway, re-shaping of the Crescent Ave. intersection, and loop ramp required to preserve access to the Eastern Ave. Ext. driveway. This would've been a simpler and less costly job even figuring inflation and bloat contingencies. Then loop-ramp the busway up to the intersection at the Market Basket light and turn any which way you want onto a much traffic cleaned-up Everett sans crossing.

Seems so obvious, so of course not.

F-Line, are you drunk man? The BRT is on the south side of the rails. Turning onto Everett towards downtown doesn't involve crossing any tracks. The buses will be safe. The children will be fine.

Mystic Mall Station by krispup69, on Flickr

Unless I'm the drunk one?

I definitely would like to see a bus lane on Broadway thru Bellingham Square. It would greatly improve the 116, 117 & 111 in addition to a potential Silver Line loop. Broadway can be a disaster in the evening and significantly impact headways.

F-Line, are you drunk man? The BRT is on the south side of the rails. Turning onto Everett towards downtown doesn't involve crossing any tracks. The buses will be safe. The children will be fine.

Mystic Mall Station by krispup69, on Flickr

Unless I'm the drunk one?

Sure I may have had a few breakfast cocktails alone here in the home office, but that's not a problem amirite?

You're still not turning an artic there with its butt sticking out in the blind spot while about 10% of the day's train schedule runs express through Chelsea. The loop's going to be necessary for any street-running. The way it's constructed with the platform right at cornerside prohibits any turning whatsoever (why 2 platforms...if it's looping wouldn't the first one be fully adequate?). If you were to mod this thing so you had a means of spitting out into the Market Basket exit for a proper turn you'd have to install a second signal cycle 150 ft. apart from the first one. Which is going to toilet-clog the whole street and make the northbound trip into the busway an exercise in masochism.

Poor design. They seem to be trying too hard not to touch the Market Basket egress. If they simply angled the busway straight into the existing entrance by slicing 14 parking spaces off that lot across the street, rotated the loop 45 degrees clockwise, installed the signal right there with stop line on Everett Ave. SB for that signal set back at the tracks it would be a whole lot cleaner and work for every direction. That's something to bring up at the next community meetings because thru-routing from any on-street buses is pretty thoroughly blocked by that platform layout and jutting sidewalk. Which seems completely superfluous, almost as if blocking thru-routing is the whole point of that design.

Maybe there's a lot about articulated buses I don't understand, but I don't see how any part of a bus turning left ends up further to the right than its original vector.

cad_dr139.jpg

and now I remember why I stopped coming here... oh well I tried. *closes window*

Wait - what happened?

Wait - what happened?

Cybah posted a fantastic photo essay of the entire Silver Line Gateway's progress, but then when people started analyzing and criticizing the route, he took it personally, despite no comments ever even being directed at him. The only comments directed at him were me and Shepard thanking him for posting such a nice post.

Strange situation, but he explained to me via Twitter that he didn't feel comfortable with the response, so he deleted the post. I tried to explain to him that he didn't plan the Silver Line, the T did and the T's plans were the ones under scrutiny & proposals for improvement. I also stressed that we all collectively appreciate his extensive reporting from the meetings he attended about this.

I'm pretty confused and surprised to see someone have such a strong reaction to such basic conversation, but to each his own. It's a sad loss of info for our community. To post something (that's really awesome) and then not expect any comments about the content, just isn't how a forum works.

FWIW, I grabbed the full text of the post before he deleted it, explaining all the stations and routing.

Maybe there's a lot about articulated buses I don't understand, but I don't see how any part of a bus turning left ends up further to the right than its original vector.

cad_dr139.jpg

Also known as December thru March:

165%20jack%20bus-thumb-480x360.jpg

Anyway, this is the shitty MS Paint crayon-on-napkin of what I was thinking for the cleaner setup for on-street turning. +/- 20 feet.

2e1c41j.jpg

Rotate the loop. Do one longer multi-berth platform instead of 2 so that other one doesn't block the corner. Bus layover area stays the same. Turn island for rights exiting the loop onto Everett SB, protected left for entering from Everett NB. Lights with built-in lag to clear the southbound queues off the tracks between the safer stop line and the busway intersection. I guess if you want to run any buses to/from the north you can also right-island the loop entrance and protected-left the loop exit.

Way better geometry than that platform + curb jut that currently seals off any plausible means of making a right turn off the loop.

Market Basket still has 6...count 'em, six...egresses spread around the block. They aren't going to be hurting here with that egress pretty much only serving the 56-spot parking annex on the north end.

Oh man. I loved the cybah photo essay!

Weird about Cybah... if that's the same one from uHub, I would've thought the anons there troll much worse than what anyone ever does here.

F-Line - I still don't see how it's unworkable as designed (your winter photo still doesn't show the rear of the left-turning bus veering any further right), but I completely agree that your napkin sketch is the superior design.

Edit: off topic

Last edited:

fo·rum
ˈfôrəm
noun

a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Cybah, I just don't understand why you are taking it personally. At all. Everyone appreciates you taking the time to post, and especially to go to the meetings and voice your opinion. But this is a community, and a discussion forum. Talking about and critiquing projects is the whole point. There is also the factor that anyone here trained as a designer is also trained to find, critique, and tear apart anything design-related. It's how the entire design process works. It's the only way things get better. It's not personal, it's professional, and it's how this works.

Not to mention, I kind of take offense saying that everyone here is simply anonymous people on the net. This is forum in particular is NOT all that anonymous (see the meet up thread, plus I've met good chunk of people on here personally). As far as "go to the meetings yourselves"... well, myself and quite a few others were super involved in the MassDOT Pike project, plus the tons of users here that frequent community meetings for all sorts of projects.

Not everyone can attend the silver line meetings, but this is a convenient place to discuss and critique what's going on, in the hopes that perhaps some better ideas can come about, and then through members that do attend they can be communicated. If it wasn't for this forum, I never would have done a single thing for the People's Pike project.

I'd also like to point out, that many, many professionals are aware of and read this site. It's not just a vacuum, what's said here is known.

You're a valued and appreciated member of this forum, who contributes a lot of really useful information. I just can't, at all, wrap my head around why you would take this personally. Please don't. It's great having your contributions around.

Last edited:

Well, I appreciated Cybah's post, so, putting that all behind us now...

I'm looking forward to future phases. Run this up to Carter & W 3rd. Eliminate the W 3rd grade crossing, essentially turning that little piece of Carter into a dedicated busway (but still allowing access to those couple of businesses there). Signal priority at Carter & 2nd. Make 2nd three lanes between Garden and Rt 16. The center lane will be a dedicated bus lane for buses heading toward Rt 16, allowing them to bypass the queue to a signal prioritized intersection of 2nd & Rt 16. Once on Rt 16, create bus lanes to Wellington, with signal priority at the traffic circle.

F-Line as a permanent terminus set up I think your design is pretty good but considering there are probably plans to extend this past here at some point I don't think that design is very good at future proofing. It would create a situation similar to the D Street crossing eventually when the silver line or green line or both are extended beyond here. I do think street access is a good idea but I'm not sure this is the best solution. I am going to look some more at some options I had thought of.

F-Line as a permanent terminus set up I think your design is pretty good but considering there are probably plans to extend this past here at some point I don't think that design is very good at future proofing. It would create a situation similar to the D Street crossing eventually when the silver line or green line or both are extended beyond here. I do think street access is a good idea but I'm not sure this is the best solution. I am going to look some more at some options I had thought of.

Crazy thought based off this... could you get it to Wellington??

Back